The Dunlavy

Event Space

brunch • sandwich • avocado toast • lamb gyro

3422 Allen Pkwy
Houston, TX 77019, US

The Dunlavy has 20 Tips

Such a delightful SETTING with twinkling chandeliers as well as freshly arranged flowers on each rustic wooden table. Arriving shortly before 2pm which is when they stop serving, I remained until 3pm and others were still there when I left. I was pleased to find I could still order from the breakfast menu, so opted for avocado toast with creamy ricotta and poached egg which had been previously recommended - delicious and such good value too at $7. Parking was no problem, leaving the car by the other visitor centre at Sabine Street and enjoying a stroll through the peaceful Buffalo Bayou Park to work up an appetite. Just remember a hat and sun lotion if walking.
    You can't go wrong with this restaurant. Inside or outside- it is beautiful! The food is great and the park is beautiful that it is situated on.
    It is located in the Buffalo Bayou Park. The glass walls on three sides offer a spectacular view of the park. It also has a huge collection of beautiful chandeliers. The menu is simple on the light side: snacks, salads and sandwiches. Well presented and tasty. I especially like the kale salad. This place is open to the public for breakfast and lunch. Private events at night. It has become very popular. During lunch hours and weekend brunches, always a long line of people waiting to get in. Also, difficult to find free parking spaces as the whole section in front of the restaurant is blocked off for valet parking.
    Discovered this gem right across the street from where I'm staying and met some friends for breakfast. I just had a cranberry scone and an heirloom tomato/goat cheese pastry and I was very happy. Casual community wooden table setting with a couple dozen crystal chandeliers overhead or sit out on the patio. Healthy offerings. Going back Friday for the Jazz Happy Hour event.
    Wonderful breakfast/brunch spot overlooking the bayou and park. Be prepared for a wait, family style seating and teams of 20-something girls drinking mimosas and liberally using the word "like" while routinely checking Facebook and Instagram right next to you. Valet parking is available if you don't want to make the long walk down the drive.
    The atmosphere is a little hectic but the decor is really neat. The counter help was friendly and helpful with making a great selection for our brunch. My daughter had the pancakes but didn't care for the 'unusual' taste that the honey gave them. My mom had the Brie and fig sandwich that was delicious. My Gyro was yummy as well. The cappuccino was very small but yummy. I'm glad we visited but probably not worth a repeat in a city like Houston with so many other fabulous restaurants.
    My wife and I met up with some friends here during one of their pop-up happy hours and really enjoyed our visit, which was our first time dining at the restaurant. Delicious food, solid wise list with the restaurant group's awesome price point, and lovely location. Definitely will be returning here again!
    I tried this place when I saw that it was advertising for a pop-up happy hour. There was one couple in line in front of me and it took 10 minutes for them to order. The cashier appeared not to know what he was doing. He actually dropped their pastry on the counter and then proceeded to ask if they still wanted it because it was the last one. They took it! Another employee appeared after my ten minute wait and helped the guest behind me. Ummm okay? Anyway, after the unreasonable wait, I receiving my glass of champagne & tried to find a place to sit with no luck. Perhaps Thursday afternoons are a peak time for the place? Anyway, I wasn't really wanting to drink outside when the heat index was over 100 degrees so I gulped the beverage and left. It is a pretty place inside and the only reason why I rated this review as high as I did.
    While in Houston this is a must visit!! You can't go wrong wit anything on the menu and both inside and outside seating are beautiful! I suggest walking around the park before or after your meal.
    The space is well-designed, with lots of natural sunlight and nice wood touches and chandeliers that aren't out of place. The staff was very attentive and helpful; my friend was suffering from allergies and one of the waiters took out his own Vicks spray to alleviate the allergies. The outdoor space is very cool as well, couldn't even notice the Texas heat.
    The location is beautiful along the bayou on Allen parkway. The space is certainly appealing to the eye with soaring ceilings, large picture glass windows and numerous mismatched chandeliers in a trendy shabby chic design. Was ideally located for after the morning run along the beautifully renovated bike and running trails. That being said, very disappointed in the customer service or lack there of on two separate occasions. The wait staff was very rude, requested to speak to the manager to explain what occurred. She listened and made excuses, then apologized. The second visit, happened again. I will never return, way too many restaurants in town with great service to have to put with bad service at the Dunlavy.
    I visit Houston from the UK several times a year. I normally head to The Dunlavy for breakfast with my baby granddaughter, my son and their dog. It a nice walk along the bayou from their home and we are ready for our breakfast when we arrive. The food is pretty good with some unusual combinations. You do have to line up to place an order but food is then delivered to your table pretty quickly. On my last day, the waiter forgot to bring a bowl of water for the dog. The Manager, Raoul, runs a tight ship and noticed that doggie didn't have a drink. He went off and got a bowl himself! He really is an excellent manager and this is reflected in the attitude of the staff and the smooth running of the restaurant. Thank you Raoul, you've always made us feel like valued customers. If people complain about having to wait in line to place an order, I can only say that I think it is worth the wait. This is usually only the case at peak times at weekends and we have never had a problem being seated during the week. It isn't fine dining but it doesn't pretend to be. It has some great choices, healthy and some not so healthy but the food is always freshly prepared with good quality ingredients. I haven't tried it for lunch but have had many delicious breakfasts here. They are dog and child friendly which is important to us. Give it a try, it's a good place!
    The Dunlavy is a hidden gem located on the Buffalo Bayou side of Allen Parkway--if you travel too fast you risk missing the entrance. It has wonderful healthy food choices, friendly service, and nice views of Buffalo Bayou. Valet parking also is available. I enjoyed sitting on the outside porch area, seeing the scenery, and visiting with friends for breakfast. The restaurant has nice smoothly choices too.
    I saw the great reviews and decided to try it for brunch today. It is so beautiful with all the chandeliers and flowers and mixed seating. The trees that surround it gives such a nice ambiance very relaxing. I tried the avocado toast which was really good and coffee. This would be a great place to have a girlfriend breakfast or lunch. Will definitely have to come back with my friends. It is a great place to go walking, I walked around lake and saw turtles and cardinals.
    Heard lots of talk about this --- beautiful, great view, etc. Apparently I did not hear the part about ordering at the counter, the earsplitting noise level and the sub par food. What a surprise. We ordered quickly due to the long waiting line, looked for a seat inside but decided to go to the outside seating as the noise level was beyond belief. Hummus was marginal (gritty/grainy), broccoli salad was good and the Cuban was OK. Customer service was OK but the communal seating was not expected. Once was enough.
    I truly love everything about this place. The food was yum and the staff were friendly, polite and helpful. And the view around is awesome and I do love the decorations and the mixture of simplicity and classic mode. The only thing I didn't like was the bathroom, it could be cleaner.
    Go early! We arrived around 9:30 and the line was just a few people. When we left the line was much longer. The day was gorgeous and all the outside tables were full but inside is also a pleasant setting. It's basically a big room with tables but that does t do it justice. The windows on 3 sides provide a beautiful view. Everything we ordered was very good. Gravlax toast, savory bowls, eggs and the biscuits enjoyed by all. Plan time to take in a stroll around the area or walk or ride a bike to the restaurant. It's in an area that is easy to access along the paths.
    I went there for lunch with friend on Friday. The place is nice and it is almost full. I sat outside. I like the decoration and natural light. There are limited parking. We end up pay $5 for valet. I recommended this place to hangout. It is located on buffalo bayou trail which is good for a short walk.
    After 1 hour in line waiting to place our order, we got to the counter and they said: - the oatmeal is cooked with milk and they can't make one just in water (so, sorry dairy free people) - all sandwiches can't be made with gluten free bread because they don't have any gluten free bread! (Only place of this type without GF options). - so, for breakfast, if you are vegetarian (if you are VEGAn don't even bother to try this place), your options are a salad with no dressing! Pros: -Nice building - beautiful location Cons: - long waiting to place order/be seated - communal type tables are just weird. - hard to find parking - and all the food related cons I mentioned at the beginning. Next time I'll bring my lunch and seat at the public tables by the lagoon right next to the restaurant. I wont be back.
    We arrived for breakfast as a severe thunderstorm approached the area. With the walls of windows, the lightning show was quite a visual. From the valet parking to counter ordering to delivery to table, the service people were very friendly and welcoming. The structure is modern and sleek. The ceiling full of chandeliers adds extra sparkle. Tables with comfortable chairs are different sizes. You can sit with your own group or join others at larger tables. There is outdoor patio seating. Trees around the structure along the bayou make it feel like an oasis in this big city. The food was really good - choices offer something for everyone. It really is a special place that we look forward to frequenting!