Photo of Public Services Wine & Whiskey in Houston, TX, US

Public Services Wine & Whiskey

Wine Bar

cotton exchange

202 Travis St Ste 100
Houston, TX 77002, US

Public Services Wine & Whiskey has 17 Tips

We stopped in for a nightcap after dinner and to see the interior of this beautiful building. We sat at the bar. The list of very fine beverages is impressive. My partner had one of the Rare Wine Company's Madeiras and I enjoyed a Sherry. Definitely want to return!
    Met a friend for a drink after the Houston Symphony concert recently. He suggested we go to Public Services...and what a tremendous recommendation. The museum quality interior is matched only by the appointments, service and drinks. I was impressed that Houston has such a wonderful Wine and Whiskey house! The list was great, and the service added the perfect touch to our time there. This is a must do when you are in center city Houston!
    My wife and son, with a 4 month old went by for drinks around 5 pm Saturday in January. We sat comfortably on sofas and chairs in the front. It was not crowded but had patrons. The bar is in the old Cotton Exchange and the ceiling and walls have cotton ball decor. It has high ceilings. The staff was very helpful and attentive. We have goat cheese, jam, and crackers with happy hour drinks. Manhattan very good. Goat cheese etc very good. Handicap access appears non-existence so if patron has trouble with high rises on the steps and no hand rails; or needs a wheel chair ramp I would call, because I did not see one. I liked this place. I would return.
    This is an old building that's in magnificent condition. The wine and whisky bar was quite busy on a Thursday after work. The drink menu is extensive. Food is unusual (seaweed tinted nuts) but quality. My only complaint would be that the parlor style furniture was a bit too antique for my taste. Nevertheless we had a great time there for after work socializing.
    Great service at the bar. Good prices on classic drinks. In a beautiful venue in historic downtown Houston. Look for Happy hour.
    Been here more times than most. The owner / manager knows his stuff. It's clearly infectious because the staff have adopted his passion. It's not often you'll go somewhere and find everyone behind the bar so knowledgeable about something. "Oh we just got the amazing pineapple run that you must try.... Let me tell you how it's made." Seriously? That's pretty awesome in my book. I've certainly tried things that I never would have had it not been for a staff recommendation. Great selection of special whiskeys and wines. The owner is a sommelier. But the oddball stuff is where they excel: fortified wines and plenty of unusual things. Sure have an old fashioned or other mixed drink. But this is the type of place where you sip on something special in the lobby of a historic building and maybe hear old school rap playing quietly in the background. It's probably not for everyone, but those who get it come back over and over.
    Fan of whisky? Historic buildings? Classic libraries? This will be a favorite spot of yours. Even if you're not, they have a nice selection of wine, local beers, and craft cocktails. Their happy hour is good, and there's a private room/salon off to one side of the bar for large parties. It's never rowdy, and the seating is comfortable - a great option for weekend gatherings, or after-work drinks.
    This bar is located in the old cotton exchange. The setting is Art Deco with historic architecture and mismatched furniture. The bar area was used for offices and a trading floor (dating back to 1884) when Houston's primary commodity was cotton (before oil). The menu offers a few bar bites (nuts, cheese, sausage) but primarily focuses on wine and whiskey. You choose the size of pour. Great for tasting or for whiskey enthusiasts.
    After dinner we visited 2 downtown bars recommended by a friend. This was by far my favorite of the 2. It has a sophisticated elegant quiet comfortable feel. The whiskey selection was good but not great - missing several of my favorites. A very nice place for a end of evening wind down conversation.
    If you're not easily impressed by anything, stop by this unassuming bar. Its understated, classy and quite like all of its selections, very diverse in the people that go there and what you can come to expect from their cocktail, drink and wine menu. No other bar in Houston comes close in comparison. Each and everyone of the knowledgeable barmen are amazing guides to find you the perfect drink. Cherry on top - they have an amazing small bites menu and serve till late. Did I mention that this place is beautiful? Jonathan by far is my favourite bartender there. Ask for him, you will not be disappointed.
    A very nice place with couches, tables and bar. Very nice staff with great suggestions for a drink. Enjoyed a Powers and an Orval. Very much enjoyed the visit. Will go back.
    They have an extensive list of wines and whiskeys. This place will be a disappointment for any gin/rum lovers. They specialize more in wines and whiskeys. If you are not familiar with the choice they have, simply ask the bartender for a suggestion. My bartender was one the owners. He made it a point to actually serve me something I would enjoy drinking rather than pay hefty prices. I loved the classic architectural ambiance and like always, I visited it on a weekday so it was pretty quiet.
    We like this place a lot, especially when they run Happy Hour! Half price wines make this bar one of the best Happy Hours currently in Houston. Even more so, when you understand the wines that are on offer. Justin and colleagues import some exceptionally decent wines from Europe. Food is lacking. There are a few bar snacks available for purchase but this is an area I hope they will improve as they build their business
    Came here for a couple drinks during happy hour. The wine list is substantial. Service is mediocre at best. Probably would have had more to drink but the service was way too slow and it wasn't even busy, a Tuesday afternoon and there was maybe 10people total.
    Classy place. Great decor. Awesome happy hour of you like whiskey or wine. $5 old fashioned can't be beat. Knowledgeable bar tenders for you whiskey geeks. Highly recommended!
    First, you have to love what they've done by renovating the first floor of the Cotton Exchange Building to create a classic, old-school bar where drinks are taken seriously. Second, the wine list is fantastic but no surprise given that it was put together by Justin Vann of Oxheart and D&Q fame. Want to try something for different? Not a run of the mill list, a long list of sherry, classic cocktails and an unbelievable selection of whiskey. Definitely suggested. BTW, plenty of deep knowledge behind the bar. Something not familiar? Ask.
    Vast selection of good booze. Vast floor space with places to get away. Great downtown location. Friendly service. Definitely worth the stop for a drink and/or spell. Makes me prouder of Houston already.

Similar places people viewed in Houston

Browse Wine Bars in Nearby Neighborhoods