Uchi

Japanese Restaurant

Uchi74.5
sushi • brussel sprouts • tasting menu • yellowtail

Uchi has 27 Tips

James Beard 2016 nominated for Outstanding Chef
    2 Likes
    if you want to go somewhere fancy and pricey, go here. It’s a sushi restaurant but not your typical raw fish type of place…Uchi was voted one of the best restaurants in the ENTIRE US and the flavors really just explode in your mouth. SOOOOO good.
    1 Like
    Took James on a date here. Awesome!
    3 Likes
    PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICH. This artful dessert is made with golden raisin and sake puree, apple "chips", apple miso sorbet, and finished with peanut butter powder and ground peanut brittle.
    Uchi is in a class by itself: Fish is flown in daily, and an ever-changing menu gracefully fuses Japanese tradition with local and seasonal ingredients for brilliant pops of flavor.
    Professional sushi chef
    Instead of tortilla chips, yucca chips. Instead of cheese and pickled jalapenos, fish. And raisins. And Asian pear. It’s hard to describe how those things work together, but they do work together.
    Definitely a must have when dining out in Austin. Heather our server was super friendly, informative and engaging. The restaurant had a great vibe and being tall, I like the higher tables. They have both though if your not a fan tall tables. The food was excellent and plenty of choices depending on the style you like your fish, my favorite was the cool tastings. Pretty extensive Saki list, I was DD so missed out, will go back for sure just for a Saki tasting. Thanks Uchi for a great evening.
    The small plates here are all great! I particularly liked the spicy crunchy tuna roll, the hot rocks, and the tempura onion rings are probably the best fried onion dish I have ever had. The sake menu is the most extensive I have seen, but the wine and beer menu seemed a bit limited and overly expensive and the bar does not serve spirits. The main reason this place doesn't get 5 stars though is just how loud the place was. They really need to add some type of noise deadening technology to the seating area. It really was hard to carry on a conversation at times-way beyond just the noise from a bustling restaurant.
    Uchi's has taken sushi to a memorable art experience. The selections are a feast for the eyes and a delight to the palette. One is never disappointed. It is best visited with a few friends so that each of you can order different items and then share.It is set in the middle of one of the most Austin neighborhoods, 78704, the "Keep Austin Weird," center. Take time to drive through the neighborhood, Zilker Park and South Congress. In about 30 minutes you will be able to take in some of the elements that make Austin a unique and quirky oasis. It is only open for dinner.
    I popped in quite late to have a glass of wine and after chatting with the bartender he managed to get me a table for two in this incredibly beautiful and busy dining room. The service was very friendly, every dish was described perfectly and tasted amazing! Reservations are certainly needed as this is one of the best Austin has to offer.
    Uchi has been my favorite sushi resturaunt for a number of years. The fresh fish are listed on the board as well as given by the server. There is always something new to try. You do get what you pay for here.
    You should definitely make a reservation for this restaurant. We did not have a reservation and it was a Saturday night. We waited one hour and 45 minutes for a table. It didn't seem like it was that long though, we enjoyed a glass of wine outdoors. We were sat at the sushi bar and the chefs at the bar were amazing and took such good care of us. They made wonderful suggestions and the food was delicious! Great atmosphere and the entire staff was amazing. We loved our chefs and we will definitely be back! We have an Uchi here in Dallas, I hope it can live up to the one in Austin. Thanks Uchi Austin, we will be back!
    The meal was good. I expected great for the price and reputation of the restaurant. The atmosphere was nice and the staff was very attentive. I
    Though a bit of a wait may be inevitable, the rewards justify it. The staff is always welcoming, not just friendly and the fare is beyond reproach. The uchiviche and hot rock in particular will leave you wanting more.
    Restaurant is 2nd to none but be prepared for a 20 min wait as well. The foods excellent if your into gourmet sushi if your like the typical sushi guy it may not be for you because there so not a huge roll selection. That being said everything else is outstanding you may even get lucky enough to chat with Tyson Cole the owner who can give you advice on what to order depending on your preference.
    My husband and I thought surely the rave reviews - online and word of mouth - were too good to be true. We were wrong. My husband loved everything he tried. As a vegetarian, I was pleasantly surprised by the interesting a delicious choices available to me; this is rarely the case at a restaurant that specializes in sushi. Excellent sake selection as well. We will return.
    Interesting menu. Very good food. Some things you won't see anywhere else. Rather snobby for Austin. Very high prices.
    This is a trendy spot with great sushi. We went early (5ish) on a Friday evening and they had great sushi specials as well as wine specials. There are traditional sushi rolls as well as unique sushi creations. We loved the atmosphere as well as the food!
    Go a little before it opens and you might be able to grab a table. We loved everything we ordered. The waiter was super helpful in suggesting favorite dishes. We brought our three kids to Uchi and they all loved it as much as their dad and I did. My kids liked the scallops a ton. The atmosphere is lovely...totally worth the price and wait.
    Never have I paid so much for so little and been so happy. Perfect for special occasions or if your boss is paying! The attention to every detail is noticeable, in fact, stands out. I wanted, and did, close my eyes and savor every second. Everything on the menu was tied for first place.
    The creativity and quality were off the charts. Our server Mandy really made the evening - recommending dishes and the best way to order. Not to be missed in Austin!
    for my birthday my grand daughter wanted shushi so we went to a place but they were not serving shushi so we arrived to the Uchi... a japanese bridge and big fishes in pool you never the real japans open kitchen we had to take our shoes off for being seated on the japonese table sitting on cushions the boat with the shushi choice was elegant niece and very delicious a must if you love japonese food ..go for it
    This place was great from the get go. They had valet parking which was amazing since they were so busy. We had a reservation so we went in and we were sat immediately. I wish I would have asked for our waiter's name, he was so friendly and helpful with the menu. We were celebrating an event and they really made us feel special. The food was, of course, delicious. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu.
    I can't even remember what all we ate. We went to celebrate my son's 18th birthday and can honestly say every single thing I ate was a sensation. So many different flavors and textures. The chef combined ingredients that would never occur to me to combine. The staff was very knowledgeable, friendly and attentive without being pushy. It is expensive. For us, it is a celebration restaurant. We enjoyed every penny spent!!
    Recommend getting there during the happy hour. The Hamachi Crudo is great. Definitely a bit pricey but it was worth it. Recommend going for a nice evening out or special occasion. The dessert was great, although since I've last been I believe they changed dessert chefs.
    Wonderful visit there. Very creative dishes, unusual, sashimi is outstanding, especially Uni when they have it. Tyson Cole is amazing. Most creative chef I have known. Have followed him for 20 yrs.

Similar places people viewed in Austin

Browse Japanese Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods