Trudy's South Star

Mexican Restaurant

enchiladas • stuffed avocado • migas • chips and salsa

901 Little Texas Ln Ste C
Austin, TX 78745, US

Trudy's South Star has 20 Tips

This place has such an awesome atmosphere. The food was delicious and the drink was reasonably priced and strong. I ordered a fried avacado and it was a little spicy, so beware if you do not like spicy. The portion was decent. The drink special that night was a coconut mojito jug that was very good. Highly recommend to anyone visiting or living in the area.
    Trudy's somehow takes a quirky vibe and turns it into a blah chain. The food was boring, at best. My husband's hash browns were a rubberized mass, the result of frying still-frozen pre-fab potatoes. Soup was okay, but lukewarm and tasting mostly of salt. Service wa decent except for being rushed when the place wasn't full. Lots of better choices in Austin.
    Drinks were weak, 40 min wait; food was not appetizing at all! No one took food to go. The patio looked like a fun place to hang out, but its first come first serve. It stayed packed
    If you like spicy... the guac was great, our food was served hot and the portions were generous. The flavors were good, but everything was sprinkled with cayenne which created an overwhelming burn as dinner went on. However, that didn't stop me from eating most of my stuffed avocado! So delish!
    Wait staff didn't know the menu. Waitress suggested beer choices, but didn't understand what those were (i.e., amber ale, heffeweissen, etc.). Dinner was likewise underwhelming given the hype. Maybe it was an off night.
    Enjoy some yummy Tex Mex in your visit to Austin. Server suggestions were right on the mark. Stuffed Sopapillas for an appetizer and Cholula Honey Chicken for the main course. Very generous portions and couldn't finish it.
    We went there with a group of 8 and was pretty disappointed. It would have gotten a 2 however the service was fabulous. I literally had to get a flash light to see the menu and that was with my glasses. I went to open the blind and there was a wall behind it. Good thing is I now know where to find my flashlight on my phone cuz everyone needed one to see the menu. I ordered a taco salad with avocado and the plate came out with so much lettuce on it, it was falling off the plate. Quite a few bites I took, the fajita meat was burnt and there was very limited meat on the plate. For the most part it was lettuce. The food I would score a 2. I'm trying to figure out how in the world this place got 4 & 5's. I know it's a local kids hang out and they love it but as a 60 yo that is use to eating really good Mexican food, this just didn't cut it. It wasn't noisy but the low light and food would have both been a 2 but I just can't deny the wonderful service. They didn't have a 2.5 so a 3 is a little high. Was great company but wont' go back when in town next time.
    Come here for Mexican Martinis. You get a glass and the shaker for refills. Smoking available at the bar area.
    The drinks the service everything was outstanding The fried adocado with spicy chicken and Mexican Martini you can't go wrong fajitas were great also
    A good Tex/Mex eatery. There are numerous menu choices from which to choose. I had the chicken chimi and was informed by the courteous, friendly bartender, cilantro is used freely. That's ok with me. The food arrived quickly and was hot. Prices are reasonable. If ever in the area, I would visit again.
    Came up from San Antonio to run the Capital 10K and wanted a meal before heading back home. One of our friend who comes up to Austin a lot , recommended this place. Wanted to sit at the outdoor section as it looked great, but everyone else thought the same. We are inside. Great service from our waiter, took our drink order, filled us up with chips and salsa, then we ordered avocado dip.next we ordered lunch/breakfast. Waiter did well keeping drinks filled, bringing extra chips and cleaning plates. Meal came out with just one error and although we were in no hurry and could wait for one meal to be corrected, it was nice that the manager came out apologize and rushed the order. The actual cost of meal we thought was very reasonable
    It is a nice bar. Good place for friends, couples and friends who want to be couples. Drinks are well made. Better food than you would expect from a bar. Actually, it is restaurant style food. Good place to end the week.
    Had the stuffed Avacado. It was very good, as was the service. I would recommend it for business and family.
    The food is delicious. Brunch during the week for lunch is perfection. The service was great too! Plenty of chips and iced tea for me.
    well advised to go when in Austin, food staff atmosphere second to none,very clean place and the staff are very polite and observant,service is very quick,but the staff will slow it down if you prefer, when the food comes out of the kitchen,wow.
    This should be a must do for a Tex Mex breakfast- great flavors, huge portions, solid value! Try the Migas for sure and the have 3 choices of beans - all winners! We'll be back, perhaps we'll see you there.
    Not my favorite TexMex, but it was a fun restaurant with both indoor and outdoor seating. There were a lot of people there enjoying food and drink and it appears to be fairly popular. Our server was excellent and took his time to answer our questions and made sure we were comfortable with our selections. You must try the Mexican Martini - my new favorite!
    Went to Trudys every other day for a month on my second trip to Austin Texas, from England, and found the staff,and the food was fantastic.
    My first visit and I loved it. The stuffed avacado was new to me but it was outstanding. Same with the Refried Borracho Beans. They were a puree and a little off-putting to look at, but they were loaded with bacon flavor and were the best refried beans I've ever had. The rice was average. The restaurant was nice, clean, and the service was excellent. Portion sizes were good and and prices were reasonable. Both red and green salsas come with the basket of chips and they were both very good. I ate at the original Chuy's the next day and I thought Trudy's was much better.
    The food was okay for Mexican food. I had a salad. But I've had my share of great Mexican food. But what I thought was amazing is the Mexican martini I wish they had a drink out in California like that!! Limit is only two per person and that's all you need! I must if you eat here!!

Similar places people viewed in Austin

Browse Mexican Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods