South Congress Cafe

American Restaurant

South Congress Cafe14.5
brunch • carrot cake french toast • migas • crab cakes

South Congress Cafe has 21 Tips

A choice that says, "I don't eat Cocoa Pebbles anymore, I'm a grown up", while satisfying your hollandaise habit: eggs Benedict. The perfect bread/ham/egg/sauce ratio.
    Came here on Whim and really loved it. We will be back for the eggs and bacon. Had the french toast and it made me loose my socks.
    We don't come to Austin often but when we do we make this one of our stops. Being from Houston we think it is reasonably priced gourmet food. Nice wine list reasonable priced my husband always gets the duck he loves it I got the sea base yummy! Calamari was very good with an Asian sauce the cheese and meat board was really delightful. Every time we go to Austin the traffic is a nightmare parking on congress is at a premium there is a public parking garage across the street
    we sat out back on the patio with a group of 9 girls for a bachelorette brunch. our server was awesome and the food was delicious. every single girl loved their order. GET THE QUESO! we said it's the best we've ever had. highly recommend this place and would go back for sure!
    This place was had a very nice atmosphere and the food was delicious, we well as reasonably priced. The service was extremely slow. I believe they were short handed on the afternoon we went. It wouldn't stop me from returning. I ordered Migas Dias. The portion was very large. If you want a smaller portion, I believe you can order half size. It was very delicious and I got two meals out of it since I had so much leftover. My sister ordered the carrot cake French toast. It was delicious, but definitely on the heavier dessert side, so beware of its sweetness if you are looking for something more refreshing or nutritious : ) We did not order drinks but they looked good, and they seem to have an extremely generous Happy Hour Mon-Fri. There are also some gift shops along the road you can visit after eating. I would definitely go back here and wish I had something close to it nearby my home. Suitable for families, adults and hipsters alike.
    My sister and I stopped in here for brunch on our way to shopping. I had the grilled chicken salad and it tasted great, and our server was very kind and attentive. Will definitely visit again the next time I am in Austin!
    A great Friday evening. Nice staff, really well prepared food. This was my first visit but not my last. My daughter and son-in-law said this is one of their favorite restaurants and I now know why. The redfish was excellent.
    We thoroughly enjoyed our meals and wine. The service was lovely and so was the atmosphere. The wine list was exceptional and the food choices were creative and well presented. My salad was just perfect and my husband enjoyed his meal as well. The only problem was the baby, who emitted ear piercing screams at regular intervals. I blame that on the parents, not the reataurant. this is not a place to take your kids!
    The food is always fresh, unique and delicious. If you arrive at 5 pm, the drinks and appetizers are half price. The specials of the day are great and I have a hard time deciding what to order because everything on the menu is delicious. The service is always top-notch, the dining room is large but not noisy and they have a nice bar area. Plenty of shops around the café to enjoy before or after you dine.
    Fun area for walking around a bit before or after dinner, place has a full bar, excellent service & food. Not the best spot for kiddos, but a wonderful place for good food & conversation since it's not too noisy & has a great cozy vibe.
    What a wonderful way to return to Austin! Farm-fresh ingredients treated with perfect preparation, a delicious wine choice, an atmosphere that encouraged conversation between my husband and two of our adult children--our experience soothed my soul at the end of a harried day. I was nursing a headache before walking in, from air travel and car rental etc. and it disappeared with the lovely experience we had.
    Our first restaurant experience in Austin and it was terrific! Great service, great atmosphere, and even better food! The migas and short rib hash were delicious, and the smoked gouda potato pancake should be illegal. YUM!
    We all enjoyed our lunch there and the service was ok (we came during a busy lunch period). Although we very much enjoyed our meal and would come back again for the food, it was not one of the more memorable places we ate at in Austin. So, in summary, if you want a very good meal come here, but if you want an overall experience with the food there are some other choices.
    Bloody Mary's and mimosa's were so good! Popular spot so be prepared for a short wait. Food and service were fantastic. Had the huevos rancheros and my girl had the migas enchiladas. Her friend had the carrot cake French toast and it was to die for.
    Good place to have a few drinks during happy hour. There is a real nice bar and deck on the back of the restaurant. $3 mojitos & I think margaritas about the same. Ate a late supper here one evening and the food was very good. Bartenders and manager very pleasant people. My husband had a venison meat loaf that had a dark sauce/gravy that was delicious! One of the nicer places on S. Congress.
    I can see why the South Congress Café is named as such, the name fits into the “quirky” reputation of the Congress District of Austin, but the “Café” is really a very nice restaurant offering not your typical “café” fare. Note:South Congress Café is also part of the “Trudy’s” line of restaurants that are located throughout the Austin area. I was told that the “Café” is the most upscale of them all. South Congress Café has 2 dining areas, the dining room, and the bar area. NOTE- there are discounts offered for dining in the bar area, but make sure to find out when those are as to not dine in the bar when the discount is not available. During my visit, I was told the discount was on when in fact, it was not. I am happy to say, the management honors what I was told. The atmosphere is fun, but classy. The bar allows about 12 people and both food and drink can order. Danielle is a great bartender, mixing up tasty libations with names like Fire and Ice, Scottish Jive and Habenberry Rita. The menu is eclectic offering everything from Pan Roasted Duck Breast to A Beef Dish with Crawfish Cream Gravy (Beef Milanesa) I ordered a Special-Red Snapper with a Poblano Pepper, Avocado sauce. Everything was VERY GOOD!!! If the other Trudy’s locations are as good as South Congress Café, I would recommend those as well, but if you are in the fun, trendy South Congress District, stop by the Café!
    Sounds weird, but I'm still looking up the recipe to try make this for myself... it was SO good. Weird interiors, didn't quite match the vibe they were trying to convey. Food was great all the same.
    The South Congress Cafe was recommended to our group of 5 as a great spot for brunch. Yes, we called ahead and got our name on the list as they do not take reservations, but unfortunately, we were a little late and missed the table. The hostess directed us to the outside cafe patio to wait. We were SO glad she did because even with the wait there, the deck was beautiful and so much quieter than inside the restaurant. Bloody Marys were delicious and the selection of brunch options terrific. Our group tried Croque Madame, Huevos Rancheros, Eggs Benedict and the Carrot Cake French Toast. We ordered a basket of French Fries for the table because they looked so good and we were not disappointed! All the entrees were fantastic but the French Toast was the real winner - could almost pass for dessert! Highly recommend the outside patio at the So Co Cafe!
    Located on the artsy South Congress Avenue, this neat and unpretentious restaurant delivers great food and friendly service. I had the sea bass for lunch, and it was as good as any haute cuisine restaurant. Go shopping on the avenue and then make time for this neighborhood gem!
    So many delicious options for brunch it was hard to choose 1. My friend and I stopped here before I left Austin for my last day. We had a bottle of champagne for mimosas and could choose which type of fresh squeezed juice (we chose orange). The bottle was $24 total for the both of us which was very affordable.. I had an amazing breakfast -- braised short rib with potatoes and eggs with a side of grits. I would absolutely come back for brunch or any other meal.
    If you like it, they serve it, comfort food that is! The prices are fair, the service is good and the food is outstanding!

Similar places people viewed in Austin

• Old Pecan Street Cafe