Photo of Guero's Taco Bar & Oak Garden in Austin, TX, US
Photo of Guero's Taco Bar & Oak Garden in Austin, TX, US

Guero's Taco Bar & Oak Garden

Mexican Restaurant

Guero's Taco Bar & Oak Garden14
tacos • queso • rice • tortillas

Guero's Taco Bar & Oak Garden has 21 Tips

Get $2 off one of these signature margaritas, or enjoy a frozen house margarita for just $4, during their weekday happy hour from 3 to 6 p.m.
    We had a delicious dinner here yesterday.I had the fresh fish that was grilled and served with tortillas and a side salad. The shrimp Alahambra,tacos al pastor and quesadillas were all reported to be good by the rest of the family. I thought their mango margarita was just passable.Our server, Franco, was knowledgeable and efficient in spite of the fact that it was a very busy time.The noise level is very high.
    Happy hour drinks and chips and salsa with 2 family members. Great time. Friendly servers. We all enjoyed our time there. Will be back.
    The Casa Margarita was disappointing. Very sour and limey, not enough triple sec. Chips, salsa, and queso were very good. Tacos were good, not great. Biggest disappointment was the seating. Three feet from the stationary bus cart which every noisily used and left messy. Very unappetizing.
    Great Food. Great Salsa. Great Margaritas. A must eat while visiting South Congress! Very crowded and loud but so worth it! Great service every time!
    Their drinks are tasty, the vibe and atmosphere is very "Austin," but not a big fan of their food. Very bland and not that tasty.
    Great food, cool vibe.. Margaritas served in glasses the size of a juice glass...and, that was plenty, they were tasty and strong! Enchiladas & tamales were great, but the guacamole was legitimately awesome.
    I recently visited Guero's while on a business trip to Austin, TX. Austin is a great place for music, of course, and some really great food! During this particular night in July 2017, we arrived at this busy restaurant on South Congress Ave after walking around and enjoying the sites of the city. Austin, quite possibly, has THE worst traffic of any place in Texas, including some of the larger cities like San Antonio and the DFW region. It always has. Even though Austin is the State capitol, the State government is apparently too busy to deal with the constant bottlenecks on the main roads. Ok, soapbox has been put away (sort of), but I do want to put that warning in there for anyone who has never visited this very cool and very liberal city (watch out for the myriads of homeless, too. Some streets are unsafe to walk, especially alone--I know this sounds callous, but I have many years of Social Services and even I was shocked at what I saw near some of the popular hangouts and restaurants. In providing a review, I think the reader should know what s/he is getting into. I will say I have never heard anyone of my friends or family complain about feeling unsafe in Austin. But, proceed downtown with caution). We visited this particular restaurant on an early Wednesday evening. The "porch" in the front (outside) of the restaurant was already full of customers and we expected a long wait. We chose to sit indoors, since the temp outside was over 100 F. Once we walked in, we were seated immediately, even though the place looked somewhat packed. The feeling walking in is a 'happy one,' as you view bright colors, photos, paintings, pottery from the surrounding Culture. And the smells of Mexican/Tex-Mex are everywhere, of course, gently stirring your senses and bringing a smile to your nose. We all ordered drinks: Sangria, Shiner Bock (Texas-brewed beer) and wine. And chips with three different salsas that you can refill yourself at salsa bars located around the restaurant. The wait staff were friendly and cheerful. Ours was a very nice young lady who was very attentive (not overly, though) and took our individual orders. The menu was filled with lots of choices, from fish tacos to enchiladas and other specialties. I ordered the Sante Fe styled enchiladas that comes with stacked enchiladas of your choice of filling and sauces, along with a fried egg on top. We all had huge portions and were stuffed before we could clean our plates. The chips/salsas were fresh and crisp; the tortillas (handmade in an open tortilla kitchen) were soft and almost sweet. The cost for my meal that included Chips/Salsa, one glass of Sangria and the Santa Fe Style Enchiladas was about $18 not including tip. It was one of the best meals we had during our stay in Austin. If you enjoy Mexican and/or Tex-Mex, it is probably a safe bet you'll really love Guero's Taco Bar on South Congress, in Austin! It's not a small little bar, as the name implies. It is a full service restaurant with both indoor and (limited) outdoor/front porch seating and, includes a big slice of awesome Tex-Mex culture.
    July 2017 We had eaten barbecue for three straight days and there was a revolt within my family. They wanted Mexican food. We currently live in New Orleans Louisiana where there is no legitimate Mexican food. We chose this place and it was great. My wife and two kids absolutely love this place. We ate here on a Sunday afternoon and the staff was great. The chicken was flavorful, and the enchiladas were great. I highly recommend this place
    This was my second trip to Guero's but my first time ordering a house margarita. When the glass arrived I thought I was sitting at the kids table and getting a small cup of juice from my mom. I don't know how they justify charging as much as they do for such a small portion. The salsa is good and has the right amount of kick. I had the picadillo and beef al carbon taco plate. The beef al carbon taco was good, and while the menu says cooked to order I don't recall the waitress asking me. The picadillo beef taco was not impressive. It is served with the taco in a tin foil wrapping and the beef in a small bowl where it sits in its own grease. I didn't realize at first why there was a cup of beef on my plate until I reached for my second taco. The flavor was lacking and the consistency was unappealing. I would consider coming back to try more of the menu, but I will be ordering a beer.
    Great night out in a Wednesday. Very large live band (broadcasting live on radio). Quick service at the bar and snacks via small window. What more could you ask?
    We stopped here for lunch while visiting the shops on South Congress. The food and drinks were terrific! And our server was attentive and friendly. Definitely will come back to Gueros if we are ever back in Austin! YUM!
    Great food. And we got in on a Friday night with no wait when others had long waits. Delicious! Try the brisket enchilada!
    As a previous person stated you have to go and eat here at least once in your life. Super atmosphere and surroundings and food is good and cool area of South Congress.
    I've eaten as Guero's [pronounced where-ohs] too many times to count. The food is consistently good, nothing to write home about and nothing to complain about either. I love the Chalupas. There is a condiment station where you can get more salsa, rojo [red], verde [green] and pico de gallo, along with pickled onions and fresh jalapenos. The chips and salsa are complimentary but try to save room for your meal. I also love the long list of tequilas/margaritas. What makes Guero's so special is not the food or drink or the efficient, friendly service; it's the charm of the old building in which it's housed. There are fans on the small outdoor space and bowls for water for your dog if you bring it with you. Perfect for up close people watching as the "patio" is actually the sidewalk in front right in the thick of the action on South Congress Avenue. Don't miss Guero's even if it's just to check out the historic old building!
    Fun vibe and setting a bit rushed and casual on the service but it's a hectic place with turnover. Tacos were very good especially the pork at the bottom of menus in the special section. Margaritas were also good but served with lots of ice so had to get two to really make one drink. All in all a good spot in a hip part of town with many great shops. Recommend for lunch.
    My wife and I met up with my brother and sister in law for a double date. The food was great as were the margs. We even came back for happy hour the next day! Fun place with great service.
    Neither were exceptional but still good. Service was good and helpful. Food was ok but a good one stop for entertainment and food.
    From when we stood waiting to be seated and ignored, to having drinks slammed down without a look or smile. You couldn't be made to feel less welcome. Didn't try the food.
    Mexican is usually not my favorite BUT I would make a special trip to Guero's in Austin. I tried there verde cause at the suggestion of the waiter and it was the very best Mex food I have ever had. It was the best meal I had in Austin during the 10 days we ate there. Great rice, beans and the beef was the tenderest I have had in a long time. Great atmosphere, too.
    We really enjoyed our visit to Guero's. Went there on a recommendation from a friend and it didn't disappoint. Delicious tacos. We enjoyed trying multiple margaritas. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable.

Similar places people viewed in Austin

Browse Mexican Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods