Upload Business Photo

El Chilito

Taco Place

El Chilito14
tacos • burrito

El Chilito has 10 Tips

Unbelievable tacos at a great price!
    I ordered a burrito. It was enormous! Very tasty. The price was just right. Although it was very hot the day we were there, we sat at one of the picnic tables. They had a huge fan blowing on us. It was fine. Most people came and picked up their order and left. That was good because there were few places to sit. We had to park several blocks away because all the parking places were taken.
    This place came recommended by a colleague but was a huge disappointment. I had three tacos: the pork was full of fat, chicken was dry and had no flavor, and the fish taco was tiny fragments of tilapia covered in so much breading that I couldn't finish it. They were some of the worst tacos I've had in years
    My husband and I love Mexican food and thought that we would give El Chilitos a try......we were not dissapointed to say the least. The Margaritas were a orange color and I asked our host.Dustin the reason.He showed us the inside of a lime and it wasn't green like we are used to,but a pale orange.....and were delicious. I had Shrimp Tacos that I loved and my husband the Burrito. Very nice experience.
    Get the fish tacos-they are really tasty-but the-barbacoa was not so good. Much better places to eat around the corner.
    The tacos here are great and they are fast in preparing them. I've eaten here many times and always have a good experience with their food. The chips and queso are really good!
    Take a step off of 7th and grab some delicious tacos or burritos. Located just a few minutes from downtown.
    Dug the carne asada tacos. Dude at the window was chill. Plenty of picnic tables. Nice vibe. Parking available which is key b/c its a premium in that neighborhood.
    My wife and I visited here based on a recommendation from my son in law. My wife had the pork tomatillo tacos and I had the Tilapia fish tacos. They were pretty darn good but at $3.75 each, felt it was a little pricey. It's worth a stop, though.
    Caveat: I had a bad experience with Austin tacos and this review is in reference to the other, unnamed establishment. *cough*Torchy's*cough* For a funky neighborhood taco stand, El Chilito does everything right. From an easy-to-read menu to breakfast tacos served all day to a great counter man, they nail what a tacos should be. Fast, fun, and delicious. I had the Applewood taco--eggs, bacon, potatoes--and they even substituted avocado for cheese without giving me the googly-eyes. My Mrs. had the picadillo (ground beef and potato) puffy taco and raved of it. The guacamole was made as we watched--that's a big deal in a sit-down joint and completely unheard of at a taco stand. The eggs on my taco were cooked to perfection. Anyone who's had a runny taco made from the vat o' eggs cooked FAR too long on the steam table will appreciate why I dig that. The salsa is medium heat, thick, and smokey and more a mole than a sauce. The seating is picnic tables and while there are umbrellas, it can get hot. If there is a slight, "aroma," it's because this restaurant supports a composting co-op but I saw not a fly--unlike the other joint not to be named where the flies all but carried me away. The crowd was eclectic as you'd expect in Austin--laid back and friendly. Oh, and the staff is fantastic. My Mrs. wanted tacos for breakfast the next day. I show up ten minutes before opening but stayed in my car as not to crowd the folks inside. But the counter guy waved me over. He opened early rather than have me wait. This is my new best friend.

Similar places people viewed in Austin

Browse Taco Places in Nearby Neighborhoods