Photo of Clay Pit Contemporary Indian Cuisine in Austin, TX, US
Photo of Clay Pit Contemporary Indian Cuisine in Austin, TX, US
Photo of Clay Pit Contemporary Indian Cuisine in Austin, TX, US

Clay Pit Contemporary Indian Cuisine

Indian Restaurant

naan • lamb • rice • curries

Clay Pit Contemporary Indian Cuisine has 20 Tips

The Clay Pit is scrumptious. The curried mussels and jalapeno cheese naan is super! It's my favorite. Try the lamb vindaloo. It has hints of paprika which is one of my favorite spices. Paneer tikka masala is a must try dish. It explodes with flavor. Great place - great value
    I had been wanting to try Clay Pit for awhile. Finally did and sorry I waited so long. Food was delicious. Some of the best in Austin.
    Top notch classical Indian fare. Sumptuously spicy, but not overwhelming. Plenty of choices at a reasonable price ($9-12)
    The food was just fantastic and a special mention for Khuroos-E-Tursh, we also had the Kofta and Dal Makhani and they were all cooked to perfection. The dine in setup is really neat and shows the passion of the owners who seem fully invested.
    Food was great but service was bad. Lots of great vegan options and well indicated. Love that! Favorite was vegetable Goan curry, delicious! Veggie samosas were great too with 2 yummy dipping sauces. Infused vodka with mango and ginger was fab in the infused Moscow mules. Arrived at 5:00pm with reservations but had to wait 15 minutes with lots and lots of open tables. Server was unfriendly and very slow. Clearing of table at end was terrible with stacking and dropping things on table making a mess. Birthday notation in reservation and nothing ever said. Never asked for dessert and just brought the check.
    We ordered a variety of dishes from tikki masala to Tandorri chicken and everything was delicious. Loved the naan and samosas
    We love the food at this restaurant which is why we brave the consistently bad service to order out and eat in regularly. There is no comparable Indian food in Austin so they have you between a rock and a hard spot. The take out or delivery food is at times below standard and the lunch buffet is not recommended but if you make reservations a dinner can be very good. Manage your expectations regarding the service. Avoid at all costs if you are on a tight schedule. This is the only Indian food in Austin that is worthwhile and the location is excellent!
    A big group went from work, at the last minute. They gave us a beautiful private room, an extremely competent waitress handled separate checks. The food was great. Parking was kind of weird.
    I've been here several times and the food is consistently excellent, with many vegetarian options. It's one of my favorite places in downtown Austin! Yesterday when I was there I nearly passed out from the terribly strong air freshener in the bathroom. It was horrible--making me dizzy, and nauseous, and faint. Please Clay Pit--get rid of that poisonous "air freshener"!
    The Clay Pit's food is absolutely fantastic, but I think this restaurant may have gotten more popular than they can handle. I go out of my way to make reservations in advance but half the time there are no open table reservations available. Calling the restaurant, they tell me that seating won't be an issue for brunch. But when I get there, with or without reservations, the wait time is at least 30 minutes. Also, you have to deal with the hostesses who seem to give seating preference to their friends and can be downright rude to anyone else. Once you're actually seated, the food and drinks are so good. It keeps us coming back every time we are in town despite the grumpy hostesses. Even though TripAdvisor makes me commit to one visit, this review is based on multiple visits at multiple times of day over the course of years of visiting Austin.
    Some of the best Indian food I've ever had. Ordered the chicken tikka masala and cashew almond chicken dish on their specials (can't remember exactly). But both were so amazing and creamy deliciousness! Also got the cream cheese jalapeño naan and that did NOT disappoint!
    We love the Clay Pit! Excellent food and great service everytime (this was our 4th time)! Great/reasonable pricing on the entire menu! We enjoy trying a variety of items on the menu and sharing! They even accommodated our large group for my daughters UT graduation dinner!! Great restaurant!
    I think the people were nice, great service, i thought the food was very good. My son wanted to try it and it was very close to the Hampton Inn. It was nicely decorated as well.
    Did not know if we would like Indian food. Friends recommended it. We went and it was fabulous. Can vary the degree of seasoning (we got mild) and slect from different sauces. Not being familiar with the menu we let the server pick and he hit a home run. I had salmon and my wife had an Indian dish. Both were delicious. Great food, great service, great value, and decent ambience.
    Definite 3+, definitely not a 5. Slow to greet at the front, and slow to get me water on a hot day. Water service was uneven...sometimes had ice, other times no. The restaurant was not busy, so no excuse. Food service was also uneven. I ordered naan and coconut curry with lamb. I waited about 20 minutes with nothing but water, but a guy who had just come in had his Naan and his entree before I had mine. I asked and the explanation was that he ordered tikki masala, which is made ahead, so they have that ready all the time. That seems odd to me. I'll go back but if the service is so uneven again it's off my list. Enjoyed the food, surely, but the service was lacking.
    Good Indian food. They have a buffet, but I ordered off the menu. Some kind of chicken in yogurt sauce which was really good.
    If you are in the Austin Texas area and looking for great indian food, this is the place for you. Every thing from the lamb to the chicken and the roan was absolutely fabulous.
    I stopped here for lunch as I passed through Austin. I went out of my way to dine here because I've been before. The menu is varied. The staff is excellent. The service is great. I arrived fifteen minutes before lunch service ended and they were more than happy to let me order from the menu instead of browsing the extensive buffet. The waiter was superb. I really have never found an Indian restaurant to compare and I will always stop when I'm anywhere near Austin.
    Many, many Indian restaurants do not serve beef, but this one does. We had vegetable samosas, chicken tikka masala, chicken korma and naan: it was all delicious! Our waitress, Gretchen, was very friendly and helpfu,l and she got us in and out quickly when we told her we were on a tight schedule.
    The place had so many good review and a large selection of vegetarian options, we came. It smells great from outside and has fun Indian music playing. The vegetarian samosas were small but tasty. We also got the bariyan rice and tikkia masala. Both were bland. Service was unbelievably slow.

Similar places people viewed in Austin

• G'Raj Mahal Cafe