Capital City Bakery

Bakery

cupcakes • sandwich • baked goods are • great vegan

2211 E Cesar Chavez St
Austin, TX 78702, US

Capital City Bakery has 15 Tips

I was not expecting too much, but we were surprised by the quality of cupcakes. Not so heavy not so dull. That is right adequate. Ask for a espresso to go along with you cake. That will be a match made perfect for each other
    This bakery made a cute, fabulous tasting birthday cake with yummy icing! My husband and I were going to be in Austin for his birthday and I wanted to surprise him with a special cake to be shared with friends. When I called a few weeks before to order, Matt was incredibly nice and was great in helping me choose an amazing combination of flavors. I decided on a two-layer, 1/4 sheet size with vanilla cake, almond icing and lemon curd filling. A big thanks goes to Matt and the cake artist for adding an adorable cartoon RV decoration! The manager, Ricky, also called me to confirm the order. I picked up the cake at the bakery on Sunday afternoon. It was ready on time and looked beautiful! I can't say how much I appreciated their treating me so well, even though I'm not a local. The bakery case had loads of very tempting treats, too, especially the cupcakes! I'll definitely return any time I'm in Austin!
    We stopped after lunch to see the place after someone recommended it & they had lots of cupcakes & savory vegan baked goods! My hubby loved the vegan cheese & sausage item that was fresh!
    I was first introduced to CCB when they came to the Texas Veggie Fair two years ago. They had these amazingly gigantic rice krispy treats and some other baked good greatness. Recently, I was in Austin for a day trip with my sisters and we got 2 cupcakes - a chocolate peanut butter and lemon raspberry. Both were moist and delicious. We were slightly disappointed they didn't have any reice krispy treats that day, but we can always go back :) This is a great place for vegans and non-vegans with an awesome and helpful staff.
    There's parking out back so don't freak out. You can park and exit the alley. You must, must get the Fauxstess cupcake. Like the Hostess fav but so much better. Ultimate indulgence with a cup of coffee.
    I think vegan baked goods are easy and make a lot of vegan treats myself. But this bakery was unique. Everything they make is absolutely gorgeous and the carrot cake cupcake (with pecans) and peanut butter chocolate cupcake we bought were perfectly balanced in sweetness and richness. The frosting was light creamy and airy but again, not too sweet! It’s a cute converted house and the staff are very nice and happy (who wouldn’t be working here!). A plus rating!
    Found this place by accident. It is in an old house. The staff does a great job in taking care of the customer's needs. Parking is in the back. Cakes and pies are the draw here. As well as cupcakes and fresh brewed coffee. It is a veggie bakery.
    As my usual reviews here are the good, not so good, & tips: The good: The food: I ordered 4 different cupcakes: Green tea matcha, PB, Guinness Stout, and "Faux-tess", a muffin, a whoopie pie and an oatmeal cream sandwich. All of these were unbelievably delicious to the Vegan and non-Vegans in our group. I bake and I have to say these bakery items have that delicious homemade taste where you know the baker started with each individual ingredient and does not use a mix at all. The chocolate cake in the stout cupcake, the "faux-tess" (a play on Hostess) and the whoopie-pie are different - this is also how you can tell this is a small batch baker who bakes with pride. But now I must rave about the oatmeal cream sandwich - if you loved those machine vending or Little Debbie oatmeal cream sandwiches, you are going to be in heaven because the Capital City Bakery oatmeal sandwich is better! The cookie is dense in the middle and light on the edges and top. The cream filling is sweet with a nice balanced density -but not sickly sweet nor oily. The staff: Absolutely the nicest folks. I wish I had gotten their names, but the two young ladies and the young man were delightful, so helpful and answered all my questions and helped me find other great Vegan food around town. The not so good: Nothing - everything was great. Tips: If you want a cake they need 48 hours advance notice. There weren't any pre-made cakes when I went. You can only get 6 cupcakes as a walk-in, so plan ahead if you can, or take a friend if you need more than 6. Get the oatmeal cream sandwich - you're welcome.
    Great vegan and gluten free cupcakes. Good flavors to choose from. It would be nice if they had even more gluten free though and also soy free etc options
    I AM NOT a vegan, but it is a vegan bakery. ALL of their baked goods are phenomenal. I don't know what kind of bread they use, but the kolaches are ON POINT! The coffee is delicious also...kept me going for hours! It's definitely worth a drive through Austin traffic to get to!
    Everything here is amazing! The people, the cake, the pie and the cupcakes! I often think of planning a trip back to Austin just so I can get more cupcakes! Please consider shipping your cupcakes Capital City!!!!
    Welllllll shiz! I can't believe this is a vegan shop and I also can't believe a cupcake spot is capable of being tastier thank comprehension! The chocolate chip cookie sandwich is to die for! Highly recommend.
    We love this place! It has become a destination every time we are in Austin - I love that it cures my craving for really delicious vegan bakery items, and the non-vegans in our life never know the difference.
    Boston cream pie, yum, perfect mix of chocolate, great job Kristen! Wedding cake too this week, still want more espresso flavors plz.
    On an overcast, drizzly Sunday morning, my husband and I decided to "discover" this vegan bakery's sweet treats after being told about it by a University of Texas student. It's located in the ever-increasing urban sprawl of East Austin. With its colorful turquoise, cottage-like house style, which has long been associated with coziness and functionality, this bakery's exterior pleasingly welcomes customers into the bakery. Inside, upon "scrutinizing" the appealing cupcakes, baked goods, and kolaches in the display case, they all looked simply delicious. We ordered 2 coffees with foamed hot milk; a mouth-watering, perfectly warmed cinnamon roll; and a vegan kolache ("sausage," egg, and cheese). This small vegan bakery is simply awesome and a snug little place for chatting or working on one's laptop... well worth the drive from downtown Austin or Austin suburbs for sweet treats and hot coffee! There are outdoor, streetside tables and chairs, too.

Similar places people viewed in Austin

Browse Bakeries in Nearby Neighborhoods