Photo of South Street Original Crab Shack & Authentic Dive Bar in Nashville, TN, US

South Street Original Crab Shack & Authentic Dive Bar

American Restaurant

brunch • chicken • pulled pork • ribs

907 20th Ave S
Nashville, TN 37212, US

South Street Original Crab Shack & Authentic Dive Bar has 20 Tips

We called ahead for a bachelorette party of 16 and got sat right away. We had an awesome server name Jordan who was fun and super quick. Food was great. Pain killer drink was delicious.
    The food is good. A bit heavy and nothing spectacular, but good. The servers we nice and friendly, but incredibly slow. It was if they expected us to just be hanging out and not actually *very* hungry. To be fair, the outdoor seating/deck would be a very cool place to hang out. The prices and portions were great, but the menu lacks description of many dishes (ex: I didn't expect every single thing on my plate to be fried.)
    We booked a table for 8 people. When we arrived, were told someone else had taken our booking - no apology. Told to wait, they'd sort it soon. Almost 1.5 hours later, we were shown to a table [around 9.30]. Food took around 30 minutes to come. There were a mixture of comments re the food: some good, others not so good [ours was bland]. Speaking to the manager, he did not seem to think the restaurant should take any responsibility for their error of giving our table away to the wrong people. Note to the English dictionary: according to said manager, 'reservation' does not mean you get a table. So now we know! Grudgingly, he gave us 10% off - after putting on a 20% surcharge for 8 people, of course.
    There were 10 of us (family and friends) for brunch on Sunday Aug 20, 2017 to celebrate my daughters birthday. We were there when they opened at 11am and were very glad we did because shortly afterwards there was a line waiting for seats out side. The food was great and large portions. (If you went home hungry then it was your fault for not eating!). I had the BYO (build your own) Omelet with has browns - it was so much that I took half home and had it for dinner. Several people had the potato has skillet with pulled pork and eggs any way you wanted them -nothing was left behind on those iron skillets which the food was served in. The New Orleans head on shrimp were cooked to perfection and the shrimp po boy was delicious. My grandson (6yrs old) had his chicken and fries and he loved every bite. The meal also comes with a plate of biscuits, sausage gravy and home made jam.....this on top of your main meal. Amazing and great food. I know we will go there again.
    Stopped here after a day on broadway. Was a nice break from the crowds. Had oysters and crab cakes. Food was average; not bad. Service was very accommodating! I asked the bartender if they could switch channels so I could watch my nephew's baseball game me she did. That was huge for me since he was playing in the ACCA championship game ❤️
    Oysters were fresh, served properly with fresh lemon, horseradish, cocktail sauce, and crackers. Loved every bite! Fried Green Tomatoes were delicious! Breading was thin and light, best for how we like to eat them. Sauce was tasty. Served with pickled veggies on side, nice and crisp. Three slices per serving, so we had plenty of room for dinner. Cajun shrimp with hot butter on side melted in my mouth. I chose the appetizer version. Fish and chips was served hot and crispy! Served in a beer batter that was very light in flavor. My husband loves malt vinegar on his fish. The fish was very fresh, and not fishy at all. Service was outstanding! My drink was never empty and the plates were cleared quickly. She was very helpful in choosing and ordering our food selections. We will definitely be back!
    Stopped by this place after reading mixed reviews. It was steamy hot out and they only gave is an option of sitting outside....in the heat. The patio would have been nice if it wasn't somsang hot. We were swwated and given a menu by the hostess. We waited 15 mi tues and no one even came bybthebbtable to get our drink orders. We got up and went to another restaurant. To many good choices in Nashville to have to sit and wait on bad service.
    Homemade tater tots were mushy and not tasty. We had the shrimp and oyster combo. Not good and we will not return.
    We were traveling through Nashville to see the Grand Ole Opry and other sites. We have friend who is an agent there so we agreed to meet him there. Fantastic "open" restaurant. Great Meal. Cool place to meet a friend and visit.
    Great servicer Mike upstairs Great deals on happy hour the BBQ was delicious Very fun vibe Close to Hattie B Excellent oysters 1 dollar each at happy hour
    We recommended South Street for brunch with two other couples, and wish we hadn't. We'd been there several times before, but it seems the place is now in a state of decline. Service was only fair, and our table top and booth area were filthy. The food was average at best. Doubt that we'll return.
    Our food was awful. The majority of us could not finish. Desserts were gross. Ice cream tasted freezer burned and bread pudding was mush. Onion weeks over cooked. Waiter acted like we're were a pain. Menu looks New Orleans but very very far from it. Skip this place
    The pulled pork is great and they have a good brew selection. The location isn't bad at all. Situated in Music Row, it's one of many bars to stop in while doing a "crawl". The ambience is a little cozier than most and the staff are very friendly. Definitely recommend if you're in the area.
    We were staying overnight in Nashville, wanted seafood for dinner and saw this on TA. We were not disappointed. Great dive bar near Vanderbilt University with some great character inside. The food was great and the service just as good! The sweet potato casserole and the grits were huge hits!
    My wife ordered the combo platter for 17 dollars, 3 shrimp and 3 oysters... 17 bucks for 3 shrimp and 3 over steamed oysters? The little amount of food we received was ok, nothing special... This place is a joke.
    This was a pretty cute little place. It was pretty busy Saturday around lunch so we sat at the bar, service was okay. We had breakfast, and it was a lot of food for only $9 and it was pretty good! And they had $2 mimosas also. The walls of this place are garage doors which I assume they open in the summer, it was in the 60s so i was hoping they'd open them but they didnt.
    This place is awful!!! Worst food I have had in a long time. Uneatable. I have no idea how their rating is so high. Veggie burger was decent, but the queso dip was the worst thing out group ever tried. The atmosphere was average and the service was good. Wouldn't be a bad place to have a drink, just don't eat anything if you value your taste buds.
    We were scheduled to eat here with a meeting I was attending. We were a group of about 20 and we were there at primetime for the dinner crowd. Food was good, service was outstanding. I had a half rack of ribs, they were moist and meaty without too much sauce.
    Judging by the scene outside, part of me was expecting sort of a Joe's Crab Shack vibe, but there was surprisingly little vibe of any kind to speak of. It's basically just a combination of unpainted shiplap and red brick, with not much else in terms of decor. They have a Smokehouse Trio combo plate available, but I went all-in with the BBQ Half Feast: a half-pound of pulled pork, a half-rack of ribs, and a half-chicken with two sides, for which I selected Cuban corn and homemade tater tots. The phrase "my eyes were bigger than my stomach" doesn't even begin to describe the enormity of this plate. The automatic jalapeño cornbread was only slightly spicy, but not the least bit dry or crumbly. Their Cuban corn was charred beautifully. It came topped with a sprinkle of cilantro and cojita cheese, in true street corn fashion. Of my side dishes, the homemade tater tots were the clear front-runner. The crispy panko batter and creamy potato interior blended together nicely, almost like a potato croqueta. My helping of pulled pork had plenty of bark mixed in, as well as a nice smoke level throughout. There were also hints of vinegar from the mop sauce. It was decently tender, with only a few moments of dryness. The pork was admirable, but with room for improvement. I found a tasty blend of spices on the chicken skin (my favorite part!), and the meat beneath was definitely juicy. A mild smokiness was about what you'd expect for barbecue chicken. It comes with a side of Alabama white sauce for dipping, and although it wasn't really necessary, this spicy sauce certainly jazzed things up a bit. The ribs could have used much more seasoning though, such that I wouldn't really call it a true dry rub. These bones also weren't quite as juicy as I would have liked, but they were undeniably smoky. The crust was a little overly crisp, like bacon that's been cooked too long, perhaps from finishing on the grill or in the broiler. Things were a little hit or miss, but I enjoyed my meal enough warrant a return trip. Read my full review, complete with pictures: Search "The Barbecue Fiend"
    We were pleased with our visit to this restaurant. It seems to get mixed reviews, but we found the staff welcoming and attentive. The barbeque was enjoyable and seemed authentic.

Similar places people viewed in Nashville

• Bro's Cajun Cuisine