Blue Marlin

American Restaurant

shrimp and grits • seafood • collard greens • steak

Blue Marlin has 20 Tips

It's been years since I've eaten here. I used to consider it average. BUT I have changed my mind! I have been here 3 times in the past few months... all for business dinners. All three times, the dishes were fantastic and so was the service. Big thumbs up.
    This is a must stop restaurant if you are in Columbia S Carolina. The menu is broad and the Seafood is delicious. You can tell it is brought in fresh daily! Service is great and the prices are reasonable. It's a great spot for a business dinner or drinks with friends or a romantic dinner with your significant other.
    I've eaten at this restaurant many times and have never been disappointed. It is always difficult to make a selection because everything is good.
    While Blue Marlin is known for its fresh seafood, it also serves delicious steaks and salads. Yummy desserts were explained to us by a very knowledgeable and friendly server named Brooke G. She knew her bar menu and food menu as well. The restaurant does get a little loud since it's always busy, but a conversation can still be heard.
    My wife, mother and I were evacuees from Irma looking for a nice dinner. Although the staff and facility were great, the food left much to be desired.
    As evacuees from the coast of SC, we loved visiting Columbia. A high point was dinner at Blue Marlin. Great service, good wine & beer selections and an interesting "Lowcountry" menu. Fabulous she crab soup! Good pasta dish that my husband enjoyed. Good Cobb salad with perfectly cooked shrimp on top. Nice setting & enjoyable evening.
    Food was excellent, ordered the crab cakes and the shrimp and grits... I highly recommend them. Sad to say I can’t say that about the service at bar area, had one female bartender change out the trash can and not wash her hands (super gross). Another bartender came in behind the bar and literally changed in to his uniform at the bar area. Definitely not a sight I want to see while I’m trying to enjoy my meal.
    Not authentic low country -- I can make better Gumbo with mt eyes closed and I was born in the North! Husband got Shrimp and grits, their "signature dish", also unremarkable. This is different at every establishment, but theirs is not in my top 10. Service was good, but my fish was very overcooked.
    We stopped in for a late lunch. My mom and I split three appetizers and it was still more than we could eat. Fried green tomatoes and spicy fried shrimp were very good. The shrimp and grits were also very good but were way heavy on the grits and way light on the shrimp. The waiter was excellent and although we did have to wait for a table, it wasn't very long.
    Simply a wonderful place to dine. Great food! No hype here this place speaks for itself. Plan ahead by making reservations or go early and expect to wait. ... nobody is in a hurry to leave this place.
    We love seafood and decided to check this place out while in Columbia for the eclipse. We easily made reservations online. Love the area of town this restaurant was in. There was some lovely outdoor seating but it was an extremely hot day so we were seated inside. Our waiter, Cory, was absolutely fabulous - knowledgeable, engaging, friendly, and fun. One of the best servers I've ever had. Between the 4 of us we had the calamari, shrimp and grits, she crab soup, gumbo, crab cakes and salmon pontchartrain. So the shrimp and grits were out of this world delicious. The soups were a little heavy as if they'd been stove all day. The crab cakes and salmon were also good but I would recommend the crab cakes over the salmon.
    Parking was a pain, but still has a great downtown location. Good atmosphere and great service. I'd like to give it five stars, but the main dish was equivalent to what you'd find in Indiana, not a coastal state. The crab cakes do NOT have any lump in it at all. I'm not sure if they ran out of lump crab and went to Walmart for canned crab meat, but it was minced so small that the crab taste was missing. Then you get a teeny tiny dribble of remoulade, which was great, to go with it. Disappointed with that after an AMAZING shrimp and grits appetizer. One of the best I've had. Also, the key lime pie was great too! I would give them a second chance. I just didn't expect to be disappointed so badly with the very first main dish on their menu.
    Lunch at this rather nice fish based restaurant. The calamaris were the poorest thing we ordered, the batter falling off every one of them. But after that all was truly good. I wanted a plain piece of catfish with a salad and the chef obliged. (I hate grits!) My husband enjoyed his shrimp and grits. A nice stop.
    Food is mediocre and overpriced. Parking stinks. The atmosphere is nice...Blue Marlin has been a Vista institution for years - but definitely overrated. If you have not been there - I would suggest going for lunch to check out (since prices are more reasonable at that time)..This will give you a feel for the restaurant and weather or not you think it would be worth returning for dinner which is especially high priced.
    In many ways this is a premier restaurant. However, there is a terrible parking problem that overrides all of this. Few spaces available that are not reserved for neighboring businesses. If you find one, be sure to read the fine print. It says that others can double park and block you in. I was shocked after my meal to learn that I would be late to return to my business while we tried to find an unknown double Parker. However, it is true that I missed the fine print on the sign. The employees took it in stride and questioned all customers to find the owner and it was moved after 30 minutes. Hard to believe this is standard practice but it is. Beware.
    Good food, great staff. Call ahead to reserve a table if you have a large group. The gumbo is fantastic. Parking can be a bit of a hassle but the food is worth it.
    Based on reviews, we decided to have a light dinner at this restaurant. We both ordered cocktails. I watched the bartender make them and was astounded that my $11 drink was served in a small glass and only about one third filled (before ice) and she didn't bother to add enough ice to even make it look full. The menu said it contained blackberries. What it contained was mostly the seeds from the berries. It was so unbelievable, I took a photo of it before I tasted it because the audacity of charging $11 for the drink was beyond belief. The She Crab soup was very strong and fishy tasting. It was inedible to me. They do not have crackers to serve with any of their soup. The waitress was loud and seemed to be in a hurry. Overall, the experience was sadly lacking and we will not return.
    We decided to have dinner at the Blue Marlin with friends. The food was good and they had a good selection. Staff was very friendly.
    Perfect for outdoor dining. Pecan dusted calamari, crab cakes & salmon were good. Good size portions of the food. Even with a full restaurant, the service was quick.
    Awesome restaurant with great atmosphere and food. Our appetizer sampler plate with shrimp, crab cakes, fried green tomatoes and pimento spread was first class. The shrimp and grits were excellent but a bit spicy so beware, the mahi was to die for and my shrimp and oyster in gruyere sauce over grit was phenomenal. The key lime pie was the perfect finish. Additionally the owner Mr. Bill Dukes is a huge supporter of veterans so anyone from Fort Jackson, Fort Stewert, Fort Gordon should stop in. MAKE A RESERVATION!

Similar places people viewed in Columbia

Browse American Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods