Photo of Middleton Place Restaurant in Charleston, SC, US

American Restaurant

Middleton Place Restaurant14.5
shrimp and grits • pecan pie • pulled pork • salad

4300 Ashley River Rd
Charleston, SC 29414, US

Middleton Place Restaurant has 21 Tips

Visit America's oldest landscaped gardens. Daily tours of the plantation home and gardens
    We went for dinner this week on the first night of the new menu, and thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. We each had our own delicious Sangria with ginger, and I think, a cinnamon spice. Then we were back to sharing: the chicken vegetable soup, the vegetable salad and the veal meatballs with pasta that included a variety of mushrooms and a black truffle sauce. What a great dinner! We are still not eating dessertts. We did allow ourselves outstanding breads, though.
    This is a must stop during your tour of Middleton Place Plantation. They serve some of the very best Low Country Southern dishes in the Charleston area. The food is great !! The service is excellent !! The setting is absolutely beautiful !! Great value also. Highly recommend dining at Middleton Place on your next visit to Charleston , South Carolina !!
    My husband and I were stunned at how good the food is here! The prices are reasonable, the setting is special and the food was beyond our expectations. I'm still thinking about the field pea salad. We liked the food so much that we went back again the second night of our stay! What a treasure this place is; kudos to the Chef!
    My wife and I loved Middleton Place, and the restaurant itself is quaint and charming. And expensive. Or at least what I had was expensive for the amount I got. I had a cup of the She Crab Soup, which was outstanding, and a very small Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Whipped Mascarpone, which was good as well; however, the two together were around $16.00, which I thought was expensive for the amount I received. Other meal items were available for that or for slightly more, but I wanted something lighter than Shrimp and Grits or a Fried Chicken Plate with two sides. There's not much of that in this restaurant. There is another place on the property with a limited amount of much lighter fare, but it's open-air with only fans to cool it. This was a hot day with mosquitoes abounding after Hurricane Irma's rains and the air conditioned restaurant was inviting. I'd love to return to Middleton Place, but since I prefer smaller and less costly meals, I'd pass on Middle Place Restaurant.
    I was surprised by this one. Usually you just take what you can get with the only restaurant on location but I would definitely eat here again. The building was cool, view was lovely and food was delicious. I would recommend the fried chicken, squash casserole and collard greens. The mixed drink was well made as well. Service was good and it didn't take very long.
    If you are staying at the Middleon Plantation Inn, this is the palace you will be eating. The setting is magnificent, the food expensive and just okay. Too bad.
    I ate there on the evening after the eclipse. Wasn't sure what to expect. Have eaten at a lot of Charleston's best restaurants over the last 30 years but have never eaten at Middleton. We were a party of six. Service was quick and attentive and got everything right. My wife and I shared two appetizers, the scallops which were delicious and perfectly seared and the corn agnolotti (a type of ravioli) which was fantastic. I had the duck sausage. It was not what I was expecting, largely because of the current trend of restaurants listing ingredients but not describing the dish. I was expecting an actual sausage. What it was was duck sausage ragu on perfectly grilled eggplant and topped with ricotta and Parmesan. It was excellent. My wife had the pork flank, which was more like tenderloin than pork belly. It was tender and perfectly cooked. The bean cassoulet was well done and surprisingly good. Our party also had the grilled swordfish and liked it, another had the fried chicken and said it was superb. I did not get dessert but several people had the chocolate cake. It was a little dense and dry for my taste but still good. We had a couple of bottles of wine with our meal so it was pricey but I thought it was a wonderful meal and we had a great time and all felt it was well worth it. Kudos to the chef, cooks and staff. I would rank the Middleton Place Restaurant right up there with Charleston's best. Will definitely return if in the area.
    Lovely atmosphere. We sat in the tavern room near the fireplace where is was more quiet and intimate. The main dining room is ceiling to floor windows and has a gorgeous view. Terrific service from the staff and the food was fabulous.
    The restaurant is located at Middleton place and you can get a glimpse of the beautiful gardens while having your meals. The staff is very polite and professional. We had delicious Southern dishes and even espresso coffee!
    We stayed at the Inn, so it was very convenient to walk over to the restaurant for dinner, even in the rain. :-) The food was delicious and the staff very attentive.
    Great food and service! I had the She soup and it was amazing! The cucumber mojito was awesome also!
    It is a romantic dinner location. There is great scenery around located on Middleton Place. Service is excellent with all the staff attentive to your needs. Our waitress, Sarah, provided great recommendations. Save room for dessert. The pecan pie with orange accents along with cinnamon ice cream lived up to the recommendation.
    This restaurant, former home of Edna Lewis, served up the finest most crispy and succulent fried chicken I could ever imagine. Their cornbread is what you may dream of. The setting is lovely nestled into the former plantation. The best part is we went with our young children who were, while admittedly really well behaved, welcomed happily.
    It is a beautiful place to visit and eat at. The food was just okay and not really worth the very high prices.
    Our meal here was included in our package at the Inn at Middleton Place. The place is beautiful, with almost every table situated to overlook the gardens. We had a hard time deciding what to order, everything looked and smelled so tasty. We ordered the scallops, which were PERFECT, she crab soup, grouper, and pork flank steak. Service was great. We did have to make a reservation, as the restaurant is a little small. Very surprised and pleased at the quality and value of the meal.
    We had to pick one plantation to tour so we chose Middleton. So glad we did. Our hotel Concierge reassured us the food was excellent for lunch at Middleton and he was right. The restaurant has a lovely setting. The grounds are amazing. We both had the She Crab Soup which was yes,,, amazing. We had the cucumber salad and grilled shrimp. It was delicious. the service was excellent. All of the ingredients were very fresh which was impressive. Our waitress was excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant on your plantation tour. Fair priced and Delicious!
    After touring the gardens, we settled into the restaurant and was not disappointed. Our dishes ranged from fried chicken, fried catfish, to pulled pork with greens, squash casserole, hoppin' john, and ice cold teas. The service was great - the staff was attentive and helpful. The restaurant looks out over various parts of the estate. Beautiful wood trim throughout - end your tour here and enjoy your trip.
    Middleton Place Restaurant is one of our favorite places to celebrate our anniversary & we've been returning for many years. It was here that we first tasted & fell in love with She-Crab Soup. Every bowl eaten elsewhere is compared to Middleton's! The menu we loved was a selection of Southern recipes from a renowned Southern chef using locally sourced fresh foods. Things have changed. We were seated immediately with no wait at a table with gorgeous views of the Middleton Spring house & gardens. Our table was well-appointed with white linens, fresh flowers & candlelight. Our server was especially charming, sweet, & caring. The she-crab soup was delicious as expected and was the highlight of the meal. Our entrees were also very good. I had the brisket, he had the fried chicken. However, the side dishes left much to be desired. His was a small spoonful of whole kernel corn straight from the can & a mush of rice. Mine was a combination of field peas, butter beans, celery, & carrots in a thin tasteless sauce. I hope that we found the kitchen when they were having an off night. This is such a great restaurant. Please bring back the good vegetables!!
    The restaurant overlooks the plantation and provides a feel of eating in a garden because of the windows on the sides of the dining room. The food and service were excellent. It is a lovely spot for a peaceful dinner after a day of sightseeing.
    Nice dining room with good service. The fried chicken was GREAT and some of the best She Crab Soup I've tasted. A nice surprise!

Similar places people viewed in Charleston