Photo of The Hungry Pigeon in Philadelphia, PA, US
Photo of The Hungry Pigeon in Philadelphia, PA, US

The Hungry Pigeon

Restaurant

brunch • trout • ravioli • potatoes

The Hungry Pigeon has 20 Tips

a month ago
    I had dinner here with my husband and we thought it was a 3 star experience. After leaving an honest review on yelp that the food was bland and unexciting for dinner but I hadn't tried brunch (what this place is known for), the owner commented on my review "I vote you don't try brunch". Sorry, but there are way too many restaurants in Philly that are leaps and bounds better than this mediocre place. No idea how it even made the top 50 list, let alone the top spot. I'll be taking the philly top 50 list with a grain of salt from now on. I'd rather go to an establishment with owners who care about their customer's experience and don't get their panties in a wad over a sub par review. Spend your time trying to improve your food rather than digging through my past reviews to try and come up with a cleaver way to insult your patrons. The only thing I will say is that both times I have been here, service was friendly.
    a month ago
    We had a nice stop after fabric searching for my daughters class down at UD. Good breakfast selection. Not a lengthy menu but what they did have was very good. We mostly ordered the side items (ham, sausage/biscuits, hash browns, etc.). Service was nice and the room was very active with all ages. Good bar selection as well. Give it a try if you are in the area. Bring quarters for the meter though!
    a month ago
    We had brunch a sunday afternoon at 3! IT was delicious! The bread, grilled Cheese, sandwich with Eggs and sausage were super good! You have to try hashbrown Potato! Staff was very Nice! A big table is AT the back of the restaurant, perfect for our group of 4 adults and 4 kids!
    My partner Emily took me to The Hungry Pigeon for my birthday dinner while I was visiting her last week. Delicious food, staff that were friendly, attentive, enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the dishes. When we declined dessert as she had a cake waiting for me back at the apartment, the waiter brought out a free bowl of the best Concorde grape ice cream I've ever tasted, complete with candle. Well worth seeking out when you're in Philadelphia.
    Went here for dinner last Friday night while in town. Had reservations. Seated promptly. Ordered the "chef's choice" which included appetizer, pasta, main dish, sides and dessert Everything was good and fresh. Service was helpful. Had some nice beers on draft. Overall a good experience. I wasn't blown away by the food, but it was good and reasonably priced at $45 per person.
    We spent a long time here and the staff provided excellent service. You could tell they worked well as a team. Very nice handmade cocktails and also desserts. Recommended.
    The food here is always incredible. I live in the neighborhood and usually get pulled into my usual spots, but occasionally I'll make the special visit to Hungry Pigeon to really indulge. Their wine and aperitif selection is solid, and the ambience is really relaxing. Oh and their flatware? So so charming. First time I've ever felt inclined to compliment that. Thank you for yet another great visit! PS: MaryAn was the absolute sweetest! Make sure you ask for her if you ever visit.
    Arrived too late for breakfast but the pastries and coffee were god. Don't have the chocolate. It was difficult to distinguish what it tasted of. Nice atmosphere and its wifi connection was "eatlikeabird". Loved the decor with the lights in bird cages and the pidgeon themed wallpaper in the loo.
    My family and I spent the day touring Philadelphia and I googled top ten restaurants in Philly. PhillyMag's 50 best came up and we decided to give The Hungry Pigeon a try. It was a very fun and vibrant restaurant with a focus on sourcing local products. We tried several small plates including the Squash Parmesan and the Grilled Peaches (our favorites). The entree special for the day was a meatloaf and it was an unexpected delight. It was a wonderful experience and we felt like we had found some of the best local fare that Philadelphia had to offer!
    Great space with friendly staff. Delicious menu with lots of variety. Well priced. Good range on a short wine list.
    I had a wonderful solo breakfast here. The service was quick and friendly, and the egg sandwich was delicious. Would absolutely recommend. It is quite a small location so it fills up quickly on weekend mornings.
    Tried this restaurant based upon a recent top #1 review, the service was very attentive and the food was Ok. $16.00 for two small pieces of cheese with butter and honey was over the top. The Oysters were very fresh and the salsa they put on the oysters was enjoyable and added to the freshness of the Oysters. I got the steak which was good overall but had too much char to the point some bites were over powered by a burned taste. In addition the steak was not trimmed of gristle, I did not like the echo in the room and it was very loud to me. Some folks like the sound of a loud bustling restaurant which is not my taste. Bottom line if you don't mind a louder atmosphere the service is very good and the food is good but was not blown away.
    Meeting here at 3:30pm seemed like a great alternative but I was very disappointed by the menu and the outrageous cost! My sister and I shared the "cheese plate" opting for 3 varieties for $17! We got 3 extremely small portions with some toasted large croutons, butter and quince preserves. We had two coffees and paid $28!!! The ratio of cost to portion size was way off. The options on the menu were extremely limited. I'm not asking for a full menu and I don't mean to tell the owners how to run their business but their offerings seemed inadequate for me. Too expensive for an "After School" snack!
    Everything we are from the dinner menu was beautifully prepared. It's simple food with great flavor. The menu changes based on what's available. There is a nice drinks menu too. The place is small and friendly. The room may be a bit loud for the hard of hearing. They are open for breakfast and lunch, and I will be back to check those out.
    Neighborhood place. Loved finding this corner of Philly. Food great. Roast beef sandwich, chop salad-all good. Great light.
    Ate there last night with some friends. It is a small restaurant with nice staff. It is a little loud at times since due to the hard wood floor and the hard ceilings. The food was good and the four of shared the dishes. I would recommend this place but I don't think it will be a place I go to all of the time. The only ding I have on the restaurant is that we had reservations at 8PM and was not seated until 8:30 (at least). This made dinner go pretty late although this wasn't a big deal.
    Great homey atmosphere. Food was good. The menu changes daily. Service was helpful. We enjoyed our dinner.
    Have been there a few times for dinner always excellent brunch today fantastic great Vibe cool spot you'll be happy if you eat there
    We had a wonderful meal in this charming restaurant and will definitely be back! We had reservations and were seated immediately. The wait staff were friendly and efficient.
    The food was good, only one dish ,the sea bass was great. The service is friendly but erratic. Be aware that It is difficult to park in the neighborhood. The Brussels sprouts were tasty however beware the tuna crudo is good but very spicy. The liver pate was good. Look at the menu before you go it is somewhat limited.

Similar places people viewed in Philadelphia

Browse Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods