Photo of L'Angolo Ristorante Italiano in Philadelphia, PA, US

L'Angolo Ristorante Italiano

Restaurant

grilled calamari • seafood • pappardelle • salads

1415 W Porter St
Philadelphia, PA 19145, US

L'Angolo Ristorante Italiano has 20 Tips

L'Angolo's is about as close to an authentic trattoria as you're going to get! The food is simple and amazing! The atmosphere will take you right back to Italy! The service is outstanding! It is a small place, so make a reservation, and bring your own bottle of wine! A nice Frascati, for your seafood dishes, and maybe a nice Brunello Moltacino, for your red meats. And don't expect to find parking! Take an Uber, that way you can finish all of the wine that you brought with you! 😊
    Small, quaint, smells delicious as you walk in the doors, this restaurant was a nice find that some friends took us to. The grilled artichoke special were very large and tasty. We split an arugala salad that was wonderful. The duck noodle dish was uninspiring, but the gnochi dish was great. It is BYO and the waiter was very attentive, accomodating, and pleasant. A nice place to visit and well priced.
    Our family realy enjoyed our meal. Chicken parm was done perfectly. The ravioli was amazing and so was the bread and ceaser salad. It appeared that everything was made in house. The staff is very warm and friendly.
    I always wondered whether this small neighborhood South Philly restaurant deserved to ranked so higher on trip advisor. I finally got a chance to go here...and it very much deserves all the accolades. Home cooking feel, not overly sophisticated, but still very well crafted food. The grilled calamari is an excellent app. The ossu Bucco special was rich and meaty. The pasta were all deep in flavor. And surprisingly affordable at $18 an entree avg. great service as well. Super South Philly dining experience.
    Party of four persnickity old coots who, from start to finish, loved the place. The place is very small but the tables were well arranged so you did not feel that you were sitting in another party's lap. Noise level was such that we could carry on a conversation without shouting. Service was top notch from beginning to end. Early on, one of our party knocked over a glass and bottle of red wine but the mess was removed quickly and efficiently. The bread was warm, crusty, and had flavor. An eggplant appetizer was more than shareable as was a first of grilled squid which did not resemble rubber brands. Caprese salad was tasty. Darned if I remember what my dinner mates chose as mains but my papardelle with a duck ragu was both unusual, delicious, and huge (dinner tonight at home). Prices are quite modest with most entrees hovering in the high teens to low twenties. Veal chop special was quoted at $35. when asked which is why I never order a special at an Italian restaurant without a price check. An altogether positive experience; I will certainly visit again. P.S. BYOB.
    We were visiting clients in the navy shipyard and had a window during lunch without meetings. There is very little eating options in the shipyard, so we used TA to find a local restaurant close by. This restaurant had strong reviews so we decided to try it. Parking was a challenge on very narrow streets but eventually found a legal parking spot on the street a few blocks away. It's not a large place but had a very Italian atmosphere with half the patrons speaking Italian. We started with the calamari which was not fried as usual but cooked without the fried coating. I love calamari prepared this way and it was delicious, one of the best I've had. I opted for the Cesar's salad with shrimp which was very good. My colleague had a pasta dish and he raved about it. I recommend L'Angolo but allow extra time for parking.
    L'angolo is absolutely delicious, fresh and original products, like/better then in Italy!! I was invited by local friends, so I went, very curious to understand if their comments were right... I tried several dishes (calamari, carciofi, pasta marinara...) and my colleagues different one, but everything was 'real italian' with italian flavour (nothing more then what is expected to be in the original recipe). I will go back anytime I can! :-)
    Just when you think the dishes in L'Angolo couldn't get any more delicious.....they somehow make it happen. This place is absolutely amazing. The grilled calamari is the best in the entire world. And I have searched all over Italy for a calamari as good as L'Angolo. It is still the best right here in Philly! The smoked mozz appetizer was the best and so glad we tried it. Entrees for the table included the wild boar ragu. Dont let the name of this dish scare you away! The complex flavors are amazing. Ricotta gnocchi with shrimp.....everyone passed around until it was gone, you just cant get enough. Prime Rib special....no one has ever has a prime rib with the grilled on the outside and melt in your mouth. Yellowfin Tuna special was a must for the seafood lover! MUST TRY!!!!!
    Everything from appetizers to dessert (and the complimentary house-made limoncello) is superb and fresh. The service is friendly and efficient. Despite the fact that customers are packed in like sardines, the atmosphere is really pleasant. Somehow, it isn't too noisy. When compared to the really great restaurants, L'Angolo may not deserve a full 5 stars, but it does deserve something above 4. Too often something goes wrong, even if slightly, in any restaurant. That's not likely to be the case here. We've tried many Italian restaurants all over Philly. For the food, nothing is really better and it's reasonably priced. Being a BYOB makes the cost even lower. It's a great value.
    This is my go-to place whenever I'm in Philadelphia. It's small, intimate and the food is really delicious. The wait staff is friendly, efficient and goes out of their way to make sure you enjoyed your experience. If I have time for only one dinner in Philly, this is it!
    Great food! Fabulous atmosphere. The seafood was particularly delightful. The butternut squash ravioli was amazing. The cheese cake and cannolis were so tasty!! Will definitely go back!!!
    It's a favorite that we don't get to visit as much as we would like - but we are treated like regulars every time we visit. The service from John and the entire staff is so welcoming. The food is amazing - portion size just right, flavors complex and delicious. Creativity even with the standards is excellent - and being Italian, it's hard to please us with any style of Italian cooking! Being a BYOB is a plus - and to make is a very special evening, the complimentary Lemon-cello makes everything just relaxing and perfect. Don't miss this experience - casual but elegant - you will think about the food for days and tell everyone you meet! Grazie!
    We were here several times a few years ago. The food is just not what it was. I had the special pasta of the day and the sauce was thick and gluey and pretty tasteless.
    Like being in Italy! Pasta to die for!! Love it for a quick lunch or quiet dinner. Staff is from Italy and willing to please whatever you would like that is not on the menu. It's a hidden gem on a tiny corner, as it's name states.
    The food at L'Angolo is delicious every time we go. Great menu selections, but not too many. What that team does, they do very well. Great staff, friendly atmosphere, BYOB.
    Had dinner reservations for 2. Stuck in a corner. 1 guest had back to the wall and I was touching the chair behind me. Most uncomfortable restaurant I have ever been in. This was not the first time I experienced this problem, but it will be the last. Head waiter, or maybe he's the owner, is ignorant, rude and sarcastic. I don't know how he keeps the customers that he has, it surely isn't his personality. To boot, the food isn't even that good. Cold most of the time. There are many other restaurants I can spend my money in.
    This is my favorite restaurant in Philly. The food is incredible and many specials to consider. The standard fare is always fantastic. Very friendly service and a warm atmosphere. Doesn't get better than this.
    L'Angolo is a restaurant I can't get enough of. Wish I had multiple stomachs to sample more dishes than I have. Their seafood is outstanding as are all their homemade pasta dishes. The salads are to die for. Add to all this excellent and extremely friendly service and you have a real winner. It's my favorite Philly go-back-to!!
    My wife and I had dinner last week at L'Angolo in South Philly. The food and service were outstanding. I highly recommend this restaurant for fine Italian food.
    After many wonderful dinners here, we went recently with another couple (first timers) and were over-all disappointed with our meals. Our appetizers, Caesar salad and mussels were excellent. Two veal dishes were described as tough and tasteless. A breaded pork medallion meal was described as fair. A seared tuna dinner looked horrible as presented (everything piled on the plate}, but the actual food was very good. The service as usual was pleasant and excellent. Because of our previous satisfaction with the food we will probably give it another try,

Similar places people viewed in Philadelphia

Browse Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods