Kanella South

Mediterranean Restaurant

brunch • rabbit • octopus • giant beans

757 South Front Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147, US

Kanella South has 20 Tips

Two couples celebrating the birthday of one of us. The size and ambience of Kanella is amazing which is large, airy, open and filled with Greek and Cypriot music. Wait staff extremely friendly, not pushy at all, but ready to help and answer any and all questions. A nice wine menu with several Greek and Cypriot wines. Everyone in our party had a different wine- one sparking, one rose and two different white wines- Everyone was pleased with their selection. Similarly, we each had a different appetizer and shared them with each other. Two people in our party had the Spanakopita, one of us had the meat balls and one had the mushroom ravioli. Everyone was so pleased with their entrees and we even tried three desserts-- They were amazing!! Everyone was a winner! Kanella was a wonderful choice for our party! We'll be back! I heartily recommend Kanella to anyone looking for an excellent Greek/Cypriot meal served by happy staff who are proud of their restaurant.
    We had an early dinner with a baby, his parents and me, the grandpa. The food and service was excellent. I had the lamb chops which were delicious (they were out of goat chops). Saganaki cheese and and the house humus was shared by all but the baby. Dessert was to go and also awesome. Will be back again next trip to Philly.
    For my birthday we decided to try the new (1 and 1/2 year) iteration of Kanela in their new location near Head house Square. In a spacious space with several areas for dining inside and out as well as an attractive bar, Kanela South as it is now called, is a great improvement physically. The food was a little unusual. After a grilled sardine appetizer, my wife and I had a Pork Osso Buco and a Lamb neck. The pork was in a delicious lemon sauce and vegetables including rocket while the generous lamb serving enjoyed a scumptious eggplant bed with nice accompaniments. The service was pleasant, and while noisy, we were able to converse even on a Saturday evening.
    This place is right off I-95, so whether you're staying in Philly or just passing through, it's worth a stop, especially if you like Greek or Mediterranean food. Friends brought us here for a Sunday Brunch. We were especially impressed with Kanella's homemade dips and pâtés. They were intricately flavored, spicy, yet not overpowering. You will not be disappointed by anything you order here!
    We love Mediterranean food, especially Greek and Turkish, and Kanella South offered some great variations on that cuisine with its focus on Cypriot foods. The haloumi cheese is a must, as is the grilled pheasant (or was it squab).
    This is a hopping place, great atmosphere, attentive waitstaff and excellent creative food. A great place to go with friends.
    The food is fabulous BUT the stars of the show are the pressed coffee and the galaktoboureko! Don't know what that is?? RUN to Kanella and find out!
    Had a lovely dinner in Kanella's open kitchen dining room with friends last night & truly enjoyed the experience. Really a 4 1/2 star experience. Started with some excellent cocktails, with our absolute hands down favorite being the retsina and tsiporo (white brandy) concoction. I'm sorry I can't remember the name but it's listed on their menu as an award winner so you can't miss it. Began our meal by sharing four appetizers: a comforting and flavorful trio of dips with pita, a vibrant rusk salad, lamb dumplings and kale and cheese filled pastries. Our least favorite were the lamb dumplings, more of a textural issue than one of flavor. For entrees, the star of the evening was the grilled whole branzino (don't fret, wait staff will filet it for you) with the shredded lamb special coming in a close second. The nice part about the menu was that there were many options that looked appealing so there's a lot of incentive to make a return visit. Favorite dessert for me was the warm chocolate date cake served with vanilla ice cream, my companions also loved their pistachio creme brulee. Staff was kind, chatty and sometimes a bit scattered but perfect for this kind of neighborhood experience. We can't wait to return. Figure about $70-80 per person with alcohol, tax and tip
    Kanella South is a standout. We have Greek friends that make great food. My wife and college aged kids loved it. No white linens or fancy Greek glitter- just great food. Palin was a great server
    my son and I are touring philly restaurants. kanella has been my favorite so far. Dining room is airy and bright. Lot's of room and big windows. Pre dinner cocktails were different and delicious. Lot's of food all beautifully presented. My son had rabbit, so tender. Service was lively and friendly.
    Get this one on your list - you won't be disappointed. We met friends who drove in to the city from Manhattan for a pre-holiday get together and all of us are so happy we found Kanella. What a fabulous menu. Every dish was amazing and better than the last. Kanella will be on our repeat list every couple months as there's so many dishes to try. The service was fabulous - our waiter was attentive and made great recommendations. The only downside: wine menu is limited. I'm sure there were some good ones but it's not 'extensive' as was described when I made reservations. We decided to bring our own wine as they allowed us to but had a $25 corkage per bottle. That's a little steep in my opinion and if it was $25 per table, it would have been more acceptable. That said, don't miss the octopus with giant beans - it was amazing. Loved the butternut squash salad as well. For a main, I chose the braised leg of lamb. I'm still dreaming about this one. You'll love it!
    We were in Philly over the Thanksgiving holiday visiting our daughter & her family. After an afternoon at the Philadelphia Museum of Art where we enjoyed a delicious lunch, viewing exhibits & shopping, we wanted a light dinner & drinks. My daughter & her husband suggested Kanella as they had dined there once before & had a great experience. We did not have reservations but the hostess was able to seat us. The cordial server came to out table without delay, took our drink orders & explained the special menu options. The choices were all tantalizing! We ordered a variety of small plates to share. Each item was a taste treat. Real, authentic Greek food! We highly recommend this gem whenever you visit Philly! We will certainly return.
    We visited with vegetarian friends and having previewed the menu I figured we would all be happy. We started with the dips of the day which were great. I think it may be the best babaganoush I have ever had. My husband and I also shared the octopus which was tender and full of char grilled flavor. The beans on which it was served were also full of flavor. I shared the branzino with my friend and, though the flavor was good, the bones were very off putting. My husband ordered the braised rabbit but the waitress thought he ordered the braised lamb and, loving lamb, he ate what he was served. We BOTH loved the lamb! I also tried a Cypriot white wine that I really enjoyed. We were all full but ordered the chocolate date cake and the fried dough (don't remember the name), Desserts were great but we ate toooooo much food! I cannot wait to go back and have more octopus and try the rabbit. The place was a little noisy but the food was great and prices were reasonable.
    We have had an assortment of deliciously flavored appetizers and main dishes that betray a fine and authentic chef. Portions are abundant, hearty and delicately balanced with exotic herbs and contrasting flavors.
    We loved everything about Saturday brunch here! Luscious food, amazing coffee, beautiful decor. Try it for a fabulous Greek twist on brunch!
    The hearty, carefully prepared and ample dishes are worth a detour. If you intend to communicate with your dining companion and the restaurant will be busy, plan on texting. The noise level unfortunately precludes conversation.
    Kanella was fabulous in every way! We started off with a trio of dips (the beet dip was amazing) and it just got better from there. Cocktails were unusual and fantastic. I had the cypriot. The sage in this cocktail was perfection. My son has the rabbit(tender and richly spiced). I had the fish of the day. Of course we finished with baklava. Definitely will be returning.
    It was a pleasure to get finally to the new Kanella's. One word of warning - the serving sizes are very large. That said, the food is really good. We had a fine appetizers, a very good salad and for me a fish stew. The stew was wonderful. But three courses was more than enough, but I still went for the dessert - "Greek" flan with thin sheets of phylo laid carefully throughout. There was more than enough left over to take home. The food was really great. ESJT
    On our first visit we are thoroughly impressed by both the culinary delights and the warm and courteous service. The Cypriot cocktail with mastica, cucumber sage and tequila is simply seductive. Feta in filo dough is made more interesting with the infusion of thyme and and beet and parsley salad. The grilled halloumi cheese appetizer with ouzo and lemon sauce along with grape, mint and caper relish was a treat. The lamb dumplings are their signature dish and is a must, even if u don't like lamb. For those who thought they didn't like octopus, the octopus with beans will be areal discovery. It's grilled to perfection. Just order it. Hannah, our server, is the kind of intelligent, thoughtful and warm soul we all want for dinner company. Passionate about food as well as social activism, she is just one of the many reasons to seek out Kanella. There is genuine bonhomie throughout the whole space. We'll be back. It made our Philly trip.
    Started the meal with a glass of white wine, Zoe, which was not on the drink menu. Excellent choice, reminiscent of the wines in Greece. The grilled pita with a variety spreads worked perfectly with the wine. We had the snapper fillet, mushroom ravioli and branzino which was filleted tableside. Our meals were delicious and the service was very attentive but not intrusive. The restaurant is spacious and we were able to easily converse with our dinner companions. Since this is a city restaurant, street parking can be a challenge.

Similar places people viewed in Philadelphia

Browse Mediterranean Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods