Photo of The Country Cat Dinnerhouse Bar in Portland, OR, US
Photo of The Country Cat Dinnerhouse Bar in Portland, OR, US

The Country Cat Dinnerhouse Bar

American Restaurant

The Country Cat Dinnerhouse Bar24
brunch • biscuits • fried chicken • eggs benedict

The Country Cat Dinnerhouse Bar has 22 Tips

Grilled cheese and smoked tomato soup on the brunch menu
    Catch the Sappington mode in Portland’s best fried chicken; the squeal-worthy “whole hog plate”; or a custom-made burger on a fresh-baked onion bun elevated by a mountain of mighty onion rings.
    The fried chicken, greens and mashed potatoes were VERY good. The greens were the best I have ever had. Service was very good, a bit slow, but we were a table of 9 so it is somewhat expected.The biscuits were heavenly, highly recommend. Everyone in our group enjoyed their dinner.
    Finally went, no reservations but got seated immediately at the bar. Attentive bartender and everyone was friendly. Food was amazing. We had the Whole Hog and the Fried Chicken. I didn't realize I ate head cheese. Delicious. Want to go back, prices very reasonable
    Had dinner on a Sunday evening. Wasn't as busy as I expected, but was pleased. Easy to get a good table. Food tasted great. Had the braised beef with vegetables. More vegetables and less meat would have been better. Some warm bread would have been a nice addition. A noisy little place. At least the music wasn't blaring like the first time I visited.
    We had a brunch around 11. Food was delicious. We had Ricota waffles, Crispy chicken and egs benedikt. All plates were very good.
    It can't be easy to handle a party of 8 smack in the middle of Sunday brunch service, but Country Cat made us feel welcome and well-served during our entire visit. One of the members of our group ran late, but we were able to be seated and to place our order while she was still on the way. I was especially impressed that even though she arrived 10-15 minutes after our orders had been placed, the kitchen was still able to serve her meal at the same time they served the rest of us. Our meals all came out quickly, and they were delicious! Every person in our party was happy with the dish they selected - and my red flannel hash was worth a return visit! The portions were generous (many of us took boxes) and the prices were very reasonable. Our server stayed on top of coffee and everything else throughout the meal and even made an extra effort to get smiles for our group photo. Portland definitely has some great food, but service is often lacking. If you want the best of both, I highly recommend Country Cat for brunch.
    Nice restaurant. The kids had the off the menu pancakes for $5 which were delicious. I had the turkey club that is so big, I should have shared it! The kids ordered Sprite and the glasses were HUGE. They bring water in old glass milk containers and have jelly jars for glasses which were nice too. Great seating with a view of the airport. Nice wait staff too.
    We arrived just before the end of the lunch service. We had a table of 5 and were seated right away. We ordered the biscuits and onion rings to share. A great start! We loved the Cast-Iron Skillet Fried Chicken! The grilled cheese and smokey tomato soup was delicious! The burger was one of the best on this trip! And the beet sandwich was a pleasant surprise! The food is wonderful and the portions are large. The wait staff was very friendly and service was quick. We made this a destination stop, but if you are in the SE neighborhood, be sure to visit!
    We always have great meals here. The braised beef, any of the fish dishes (although those are kind of small), the whole hog - all fantastic. Definitely get some of the appetizers. We weren't impressed with the biscuits (too dry) but the onion rings are always amazing.
    We came here with a party of 9 and reserved their private dining room with a fixed menu. The too. Is large and comfortable, could easily accommodate 20. A decent selection of beer and wine was offered. The menu included a delicious market greens salad, amazing Mac n cheese, fried chicken and herbed salmon. The chicken was crispy and juicy. The salmon was tasty and only slightly cooked more than I prefer. Sides were delicious fresh sour cream mashed potatoes, home made gravy and tasty greens. Desert was just as good as the entrees. Service was professional and friendly. A great place for host a dinner party if you don't want to go home hungry.
    Traveling in the area and had a listing of Food Network restaurants. Stopped here and enjoyed a wonderful meal. Had the corn "pasta". Light, fluffy pasta with fresh vegetables in a light broth. Not too heavy.
    First impression was the bathroom was very clean which usually means the kitchen will be clean. Then I met the bartender who seemed to be bothered by my request. Then I saw the menu and I forgot about the bartender. Long story short ... Food was good service was just okay. I had the fry chicken with mash potatoes and collared greens ... Chicken could have been better seasoned. One of our family had the snapper and it was delicious!!! Very well seasoned!!! The biscuits were great!!! Burgers looked terrific!!!
    Our party included four adults and one small child on a recent Thursday evening. We had made reservations and were seated immediately in a charming window table. The tables are close together, but we felt comfortable throughout our dinner. I ordered a Porch Swing, which was a delicious cocktail with vodka and fresh cherries-similar to the old "Shirley Temple," but with quite a punch. If you like sweet drinks, you'll love the Porch Swing. Our group shared the deviled eggs and soft pretzels for appetizers. I highly recommend both of these. My husband and I both ordered the fried chicken because we had heard such good things about it. It definitely lives up to its reputation. The chicken was heavily breaded, but it still tasted light and crispy. For dessert, we shared the trio of puddings. They are the perfect size after a large meal. Our service was excellent.
    The restaurant is in the middle of a neighborhood - I even had to park on a neighborhood street - but it was worth it. The beef jerky appetizer was interesting and the boneless fried chicken - that was featured on the DDD episode - did not disappoint. It was great, and was the main reason we came. The 3 pudding dessert, consisting of butterscotch with whipped cream, chocolate, and creme brulee was one of the best desserts I ever had. A hidden gem of a place to be sure!
    This is one of the best fried chicken I have had. That's from a guy raised on southern fried chicken!
    Our party of five enjoyed a great dinner here. Most of us had the fried chicken, which was served with outstanding mashed potatoes and gravy and collard greens. Generous portions.
    The food was fresh and the menu varied. The chicken appetizer was really tasty. The menu included child dishes. I had delicious salmon served on freshly cooked vegetables with quinoa. Others had chicken dishes.The ten year old had a hamburger with fries. The food was excellent. The noise level was very high when we were there, so it was difficult to hear conversations at a long table with 8 people. The portions were very generous. Liked the food, but not the noise!
    Met a friend here on a Sunday morning. This is a small, family-owned restaurant. The menu is limited, probably allowing for more creativity and higher quality. Servers are friendly and efficient. During peak mealtimes, this restaurant is quite busy. So, expect to wait for a table. One negative: this place can be very noisy, owing to loud conversations.
    Comfort food at its best. Great fried chicken with the mashed potatoes and gravy. Collard greens as well. Menu is varied with heavy emphasis on meat. Owners Adam and Jackie Sappington are bringing out a cook book soon. You don't have to be from Missouri to enjoy this place. The prices are very reasonable and the portions are generous. Very nice neighborhood atmosphere. Parking is a little hard. The place fills up so may I suggest early arrival.
    Went to the Country Cat on a Friday night with my family. The restaurant was busy but we were promptly seated & enjoyed a nice meal. Everyone was pleased with their choices. I tried the cheese poutine and it was delicious. This is something I wouldn't eat very often - fries, bites of pork & lots of cheese ! Service was good, but prices are a little high. No complaints!
    Great place to go if your like me and you love American food. The Chicken Dumplings here are really good but just as good is the Dipping Sauce. Also the fried Chicken here is probably the best I have ever tasted.

Similar places people viewed in Portland

Browse American Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods