Kitchen 79

Asian Restaurant

Kitchen 7914.5
soft shell crab • thai food • curry puffs • around the corner

37-70 79th St. Jackson Heights
NYC, NY 11372, US

Kitchen 79 has 21 Tips

Kitchen 79 will provide the usual Thai menu items and will be adding wine and beer in a few weeks when it receives its liquor license.
    The food and the service was good @ this place ,is a very small but cozy place. Our drinks and appetizers didn't took long .....the food overall was good ,the curry puff very good too.... Definitely will come back to this place. .....
    Thoroughly enjoyed my visit ( again ) The food is outstanding and the staff is the best. I brought my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren. We tried another restaurant that we also like, but because of a new grandson in a stroller they were unable to accomodate us. KITCHEN 79 had the perfect spot. I visit once a month, but we haven't been to K79 un 3 or 4 months. The staff remembered us and really made us feel at home. I am not a Thai expert, but I followed their recommendations and had a delicious meal. Go there !
    My friend suggested this restaurant to celebrate his birthday. This was our first visit. We were pleasantly surprised! What we ordered was nice and spicy. Great sized portions. We had the Pla Muk Tord (calamari) appetizer...excellent and not chewy. Next time we're ordering two!! We also ordered the Peek Gai Mak Khamin Tord (chicken wings) which had a sweet heat taste...excellent! I was very skeptical about ordering the chicken at first because it's marinated in 'fish sauce'. Just the thought of it sounds gross to me. Guess what? I forgot all about it until I started writing this review. I was so impressed with the freshness and the tastiness of the food, I did not remember the wings being marinated in fish sauce. Well, apparently it was delicious because there was not fish taste in the wings. I took some home and finished it for lunch the next day . . . excellent, no fish taste. We're looking forward to going back again. Next he'll have the red snapper and I'll order the duck! Definitely having the calamari and the wings!! Bon appetite!!
    I stopped in because of the lunch special of an app and dish for $7.50. There several apps and triple the amount of dish to pick from. I chose the curry puff and chicken khao phad. I was able to also get happy hour mimosa for $5.00 bucks. The service was spot on and friendly. I look forward to returning soon!
    Don't believe me? Just check out all their reviews and accolades and then try it for yourself. The staff here is amazing and do their best to accommodate tastes. No spicy? No problem! Burn your tongue off - sure, here's a spice tray to put on as much as you want! The soft-shell crab is one of my personal favorites and their selection of appetizers are great! Fresh spring rolls (wish Shrimp if you ask nicely), crispy calamari, fried or steamed dumplings, guay hor cheese (cream cheese dumplings - my favorite), etc. Since they opened, I've gotten to know the owners, Rudee and Vi and both are warm and welcoming! They love their customers and it shows in both their food and service! Best value in JH!
    It was my third visit in this restaurant already and I really enjoyed all of the visits. The waiters are really nice and the restaurant is cozy. My food was delicious and I can recommend this place if you look for good Thai food.
    I was taken to Kitchen 79 by some friends who I was helping move into their new place in Jackson Heights. After a day of hard work in and out of the cold, I could not have asked for a better reward. Getting a table was easy and quick, and the drinks and appetizers followed close behind--the curry puffs were delicious. I went with an old favorite, as far as Thai goes--chicken with green curry. How utterly perfect. Gently sweet, well-balanced with the perfect edge of spice. I would share my friends' choices, but I was so engrossed in my own bowl, that I can't say that I recall what they got. Go. Dine with confidence. Enjoy Jackson Heights.
    I keep coming back to this place because it is truly one of the best Thai Restaurants that I have been to. Service is great, good selection and amazing food. They have an extensive menu and cater to mostly every one's tastes.
    Enjoyed a pleasant lunch in a non-pretentious atmosphere. Lunch special was comparable to a dinner with 'free appetizer.' Tried three different entrees and each was delicious and tasty. Portions were small, but it was lunch, so didn't expect a huge plate full of food. But what was there did not disappoint.
    Thai food is not normally my choice, but since my wife likes it, off we went to Kitchen 79. My wife enjoyed very bite, and must admit it was the best Thai food I have ever had. Well worth giving it a try! And everyone there aims to please you.
    I ordered the Thai version of sweet and sour chicken (Phad Priew Wan) from the lunch specials menu. For $7.50, I got the chicken with white rice. I added a glass of Diet Coke for $2.50. My chicken was excellent. I can't say that the portions were generous, but they were sufficient and fit the low lunch price. I liked the modern ambiance and would describe it as a bit sexy. The interior is mainly in black and white with comfortable cushioned seating. This is a good date place. The only issue was the existence of three flat screen TV's on the walls. I can understand the one over the bar, but I would get rid of the other two. Also, two of the three TV's were tuned to CNN, a strange station to watch at any time, let alone while you're trying to enjoy the food and ambiance of this place. (At least the sound was turned off.)
    Not a typical New York Thai Restaurant. The flavors and textures of every plate were different than the usual Thai food served in the metropolitan area. The Phed Ma Kham (roasted duck in tamarind sauce) was a favorite plate. The atmosphere of the room is usual and pleasant.
    My previous fav for Thai food was a restaurant in San Francisco but Kitchen 79 is every bit as good. A little small and more casual but the food is awesome and an example of what good quality and great taste can create! Wait staff was very friendly and anxious to please. Look for the kitschy clock on the wall when you walk in! Very cool.
    Whether dining in or delivery, Kitchen 79 does not disappoint. The lunch menu is an awesome deal and a great way to try out their menu. Then, coma back with your friends for a fun evening out. The decor is funky and fun and the staff is pleasant and friendly to families.
    The restaurant is tucked away around the corner from Roosevelt Avenue. The service and interior design was great. Cozy but private if that's possible in a restaurant. The meal was excellent. We always start a Thai meal with Satay. The peanut sauce determines where the rest of the meal is headed. Great sauce. It's worth the adventure to find this place.
    Kitchen 79 sets a new high bar for Thai restaurants in the New York area. The offerings are first rate, the setting is chic, and the welcome is warm. Parking may appear difficult, but a little patience will be well rewarded. Go! You'll be glad you did.
    This is a wonderful Thai restaurant that has great customer service. Ordering is easy as you have your choice of entree and meat listed on the menu. The Thai iced tea is delicious and served in a large class. The curry puffs are a great appetizer. The prices are also very reasonable. My husband and I plan on being regulars here.
    They took over the space previously occupied by Arunee Thai. The Atmosphere is very nice. I think I prefer them over Arunee, and I especially like their curry puffs and chicken satay if just having appetizers.
    Went to Kitchen 79 on two occasions and the food was delicious and well prepared both times. I had Pad Thia and Guay Tiew Pad Sei Eiw. The service was impeccable,we were able to have leisurely meals in a wonderful relaxing atmosphere. I highly recommend and the prices are very reasonable.
    The food, the service, the owners Rudy & Lee...all just wonderful! Do not miss the fried calamari. The Thai ice tea and ice coffee are delicious. Come as a big group like we did and try a whole bunch of dishes. You will definitely find your favorite !

Similar places people viewed in NYC

• Black Thai