White Horse Tavern

American Restaurant

White Horse Tavern53.5
burger • fries • bratwurst • chilli

White Horse Tavern has 25 Tips

Stopped for a quick pint to rest our feet while exploring on a Friday afternoon. Struck me as very much a locals joint but all were very friendly. Bartender was great, good conversation. Friendly and relaxed atmosphere from a longtime establishment.
    1 Like
    A favorite of Dylan Thomas and other bohemian writers in the 1950s and 1960s, the bar caters to a mix of college students and locals.
    Pubs hold deep roots in New York's nightlife culture, and have for decades. In the mid-1800s, Irish immigrants founded "public houses" or gathering places inspired by similar establishments in their homeland.
    Dylan Thomas
    White Horse Tavern is a spot in Greenwich Village that was frequented by many literary greats since its opening in 1880. It is certified as a Poetry Landmark by the Academy of American Poets.
    The man on the door was rude. Refused us a table outside which stayed empty while we were there. The cocktails were poor in quality. The tables dirty and the nachos small and tasteless. The positive was the waitress was lovely however we were overcharged.
    We found ourselves near this area at lunch time and did not want to eat a food truck. What a find! Great food at a good price. This place is not fancy and really fills up after 1200 but if you are near the Statue of Liberty you should give it a try.
    Stopped in for a drink on a Sunday night. The bar was pretty low key since it was a late on a Sunday, especially inside since most people were sitting on the patio. Jimmy the bartender was great, he kept our drinks full and good music playing on the jukebox. Will definitely be back.
    Probably not an ideal place for a full session, but great for a pint or two. Take in the historic 'Dylan Thomas' room, enjoy the atmosphere, etc. We didn't eat, but just had a few drinks. Kind of a tourist spot, but a low-key one.
    My friend's drink bottle had what appeared to be excrement on it! Potatoes were grey and food in general was very poor. Whilst a mild complaint was made, the waitress was very rude and defensive. This seems like an ok place for a beer, however the food was simply vile and our experience with the one member of staff we encountered. was not good. Don't bother.
    Great time mid summer having a few drinks. Ideal walk along the Hudson River either from Union Square or from the World Trade Centre
    On the weekends, starting at 2pm you may participate in a guided literary tour about the historic Greenwish Village, learn about a bit of who lived in this amazing place, who attended places like White Horse Tavern, one of most old tavern in New York City. This tour begin at White Horse Tabern, I strongly recommend.
    The White Horse Tavern is popular with British tourists because of it's connection with Dylan Thomas. I can understand if you work in a place like this you might get fed up of, 'sightseers' who don't spend any money. But as someone who obviously didn't fall into that category, I wasn't expecting the hostile, rude service we received and witnessed - at one stage the lady behind the bar looked a customer in the eye, but walked away without offering to serve him, and picked up her phone. The other member of staff was also busy looking at her phone. If you don't like tourists don't work in a place like this.
    This bar come tavern has everything a New Yorker or visitor could ever wish for. They have a great selection of beers, spirits and bar food. We only stopped for a couple of beers but the service was impeccable and the hygiene was on point. There was a lovely atmosphere and I will definitely come again. It's also in a great location
    Went to have a few beers. A quiet area of N.Y. The seats were comfortable and the staff are very accommodating. Did not eat there but the dishes that they served to the other customers looked good. A pleasant experience. I recommend the place for a start in the big apple
    As a Welshman,I looked forward to going for a drink in the famous White Horse where the poet Dylan Thomas drank regularly in his final years. We were 'greeted' by a rotund gentleman who was in the middle of having a rather heated domestic argument on his mobile phone - using pretty colourful language. He made it obvious to us that our presence at his establishment was of zero importance to him. When I asked him if we could have a table and eat, he grudgingly pointed to a table and grunted. It was the worst welcome I have ever experienced at an eatery. Although he did not serve us he was extremely rude about telling people where and where not they could sit or stand and was pretty obnoxious to all the clientele apart from a group of business people whom he hugged. The food was of a low standard but I have to say that all the other staff who served us were courteous, polite and very friendly - and I felt sorry for them having to put up with the man I assumed was their boss. I'd never go there again.
    Pint beer for $3-4 per pint. Great food. I recommend the knockwurst. Friendly wait staff. Relaxed atmosphere. The Building has been here for more than a century!!!
    Having been a bartender, I have ample sympathy for the work of bartenders and waiting staff, but a recent trip there was remarkably negative. I ordered an Old Fashioned and my girlfriend had a margarita. Mine tasted like watered down bourbon ($14) and hers was basically a mediocre tequila soda ($11). It was busy at the time, but it's really hard to justify the quality of our drinks. Hopefully it was more of an exception than the standard.
    Famous, old school tavern. Cheap drinks and legendary history of writers who came there to get smashed. Manhattan cost me $10 and was not shaken.
    It's a good bar but has gassy craft beer, they could do with a proper hand pump. I don't understand why they seem to be trying for a good beer yet fail to serve it properly. This seems to be standard for all the bars I went to in New York. They should have fewer beers but try looking after them rather than boasting how many pumps they have and then serving a bog standard fizzy chilled tasteless beer.
    I called into this place as a solo traveller exploring NYC. I can't speak for the food, but my experience here was unfriendly and unwelcoming to say the least. A pint of Brooklyn Lager was $7, which was expected, and the music was good. However, the door staff and bartender were very short and unpleasant to deal with. I hope my experience here was a one off.
    We visited on a cold March Saturday night with friends. The place was reasonably crowded as we walked in. We were quickly greeted by a stereotypical Irish/Yew York bartender - somewhat loud/somewhat rude/somewhat friendly. While myself and my party of fellow lifelong New Yorkers and Boston transplants found this refreshing and comical, I can see how some could find it annoying. The drinks were cold, and we had a good time for an hour or so before continuing on our way. Be advised - cash only, although they do have a cash machine (that dispenses $50's only).
    Couldn't visit NYC without visiting the White Horse Tavern. It was incredible to think that Dylan is stilll remembered after so many years! Apart from the Dylan connection it is a "tidy" pub ( as we say in Wales). Good beer , good food and the welcome was great. Thanks to Nollaig for the "Craic". We even got to sing Hen Wlad fy Nhadau (Welsh National Anthem). Party of eight and we all enjoyed.
    Just average - drinks were ok priced, service was ok, food looked ok (we didn't eat), and bar area was ok. So in summary .. just ok!
    Hipster place - loosely trading on Dylan Thomas legacy. Food was edible , until the waiter brought the check - $97 for a bar lunch!!! The server was also loud and Irish - swearing a lot and a total wannabe...not very professional at all. Top tip - don`t go in here - go to somewhere authentic for a better meal at a better price!

Similar places people viewed in New York