Momofuku Ssam Bar

Asian Restaurant

Momofuku Ssam Bar214
duck • steamed buns • kimchi • oysters

Momofuku Ssam Bar has 40 Tips

don't miss david chang's hottest east village resto
    David Chang's pork buns have become iconic, but you can also order a whole pig ahead of time. It's Asian with a downtown New York feel to it.
    Passion-inducing Momofuku Ssäm Bar serves steamed pork buns or roasted duck and dazzles diners at night with boldly flavorful dishes composed from the best American heirloom produce zapped with Asian accents of kimchi, ginger, and chiles. It shines with its degustation of cured American hams; fresh uni; and stir-fried rice cakes cooked with local pork.
    hajak
    Pork Bun | the 20 best restaurants in NYC right now Thrillist
    Gluten free
    Really fun for lunch if you have time for a nap after. Dinner at the bar is a great as well
    Pork buns
    1 Like
    Koreansk - walk inn
    David Chang's experimentations have paid off. There are so many wild dishes to try that you'll love to come back a second time. Highly recommended is the Duck lunch: tender breast meat with super-crisp skin, served with flaky, scallion pancakes and rice!
    1 Like
    We’ll revel in the decadence of pork belly wedged into steamed buns and the spicy heat of pork sausage mixed with Chinese broccoli and crisp bits of rice stick.
    Need I say more? I produced the TV show "Mind of a Chef" featuring Momofuku's chef David Chang.
    This attractive Korean-style ssam bar serving "delicious American food" is owned by the brilliant minds behind nearby Momofuku.
    At Ssam, you can drop in for just 30 minutes, have a snack of one or two small dishes, pay just $20 for them. And yet the quality of the food, its fastidious sourcing, vibrant seasoning and ingenious grace notes, isn’t dumbed down in the least.
    I hjertet av Greenwich Village. Det beste stedet å få autenrisk asiatisk mat. Gå for pork bun!
    Everything East Village dining is about: casual but stylish atmosphere, modest prices, and delicious food. The pork buns are deservedly famous.
    The highly respected bar manager Tristan Willey, who helped open B&D last year left the venue earlier this month but I’m sure everything’s just fine.
    I want some of that famous ramen! #getaway
    Asian-inspired menu
    on NYC's "bests," Pork buns!!!
    I couldn't fault this place once. Every single thing we had here was amazing and even though the place was bustling we could still hear each other talk. Need to go back!
    The pork dumplings and whole fish were excellent. Highly recommended. The remainder of the menu and the service was very good but not spectacular.
    The location is not great - 2nd and 13th street - and the music and noise a nuisance, but David Chang's food is worth every distraction. The food has an Asian/Korean influence, but is remarkably imaginative. Chang's traditional pork buns are not on the menu, but can be ordered. TIP - Not as good as they were in the past. The menu varies most every day and his unusual drinks are quite good. On this evening, we loved the "sizzling eggs," the sardine toast, Benton's ham, fried curly corn on the cob with squid ink aioli. The skillet corn bread with fermented blueberries (dessert) was one of the best desserts I have ever eaten. Bravo David Chang!
    Love the vibe. It's unpretentious and casual, we booked a table to entertain our friends from LA. I'm not sure if it's the East Coast West Coast competition, they claimed that there are better and more creative Asian cookings in LA. It may be true but who cares? The dinner was amazeballs, and we had a really good time. Your usual suspects would be the pork dishes. Duck Sausage is a pleasant surprise.
    I had booked a table at Momofuku Ssäm Bar for when my family and I visited New York (we're from Sweden). All of us absolutely loved it and unanimously decided that it was the best food of the entire stay. We started off with 4 steamed buns (2 per portion, 2 portions in total) as a starter. The service was fast and the waiter was really friendly and social. He helped us understand the meny as well as how to best eat the ssäms. Overall we had a great and fun experience. The food was fantastic, I had the stuffed rotisserie duck which was absolutely amazing and I'll definitely book a table here the next time I visit New York. Yes, some of it is food that you eat with your hands, but it's still a "clean" experience and the element of putting together your own ssäm is honestly very refreshing. I don't know how to explain it really. Give it a try if you ever visit New York.
    We were close by so decided to check it out. Everything was great, cocktails, the spicy tteok appetizer and the main duck and pork Ssam dishes! Great flavors and he staff is super friendly and serviceable!
    Great food we had scallops, the pork buns, duck liver and the steak. All were very good. Service was very good and attentive. We will definitely be back the next time we are in New York.
    We made reservation a week in advance for a 21:00 PM dinner. However due to their smallish place, we had to wait for 45 minutes until our table is ready. The food was actually not bad, especially the pork belly with buns. I wish they could respect their customers' time......
    I have the unique privilege of being a visitor to NYC, so I can objectively compare. Generally speaking, I think restaurants in NYC have the advantage of having great atmosphere, reputation. I also believe that dining out is 70% atmosphere. Given that, perhaps this place gets relatively high marks given the lofty reputation of its owner/founder Mr. Chang. However, the flip side of reputation is expectations. In short I felt the food and service fell short. I don't want to harp on this place too much because the experience wasn't bad, but it fell pretty short of expectations. Sorry for the harsh critique. Not bad grub, just not worthy.
    We tried the highly recommended steamed buns with pork, which were great and the ssam with pork ribs. I'd say that the ssam is worth trying as it's authentic Korean cuisine, but the concept of wrapping meat and rice in lettuce and eating them in the form of tacos is not necessarily my taste.
    Pork buns, sausage rice gnocchi, green beans with pork. Very dish packed a punch and was unique. Nice space, good service. Just go!
    This is a highly recommended NY restaurant by David Chang and his partner, the famed baker Christina Tosi. Our waiter suggested that we should order a main dish and two to three appetizers to share. We settled for the Fried Brussel Sprouts and the Pork Shank Donabe (recommended by the waitress) to share. These were plenty for two. The Fried Brussels Sprouts were awesome; I thought they were slightly under cooked but my friend thought they were perfect. The Donabe came in a big bowl but then for $57, it was expected. Would I ever order this again? Very highly unlikely! While it was very flavorful, the dish did not wow me at all. We both craved for more chrysanthemum, but it only came with several strands but there were plenty of lotus root for both of us. As we were leaving the restaurant, we noticed other diners sharing some really great looking dishes. Perhaps we chose the wrong main dish.
    We are from Hawaii, and every time we make our way over to New York, we have to come here. The Pork Bao Buns are ridiculous. We bought the cookbook a while back and try to remake them, but for some reason it is impossible. We can never get it to come out as juicy and tender. The meat just melts in your mouth! Whatever the secret is, we'll never know, but if you try to make this yourself, you will know why the buns are a little expensive, but totally worth it.
    We were really excited to try the pork belly bao at momofuku but we were highly disappointed. At $6 apiece, we thought it was highway robbery. It tasted good, but not exceptional. Our jicama and asian pear salad was very refreshing, but again overpriced.
    The food and drinks here are amazing. And from the descriptions on the menu, I never really know if I'm going to like it, but it's always delicious.
    Server recommended a really bad wine which was very salty, insisting that it was very good and went well with the duck meal. Next time just order the food, the wine recommendation is really bad. Sad the meal would have been great but the drink and service ruined it.
    Great service, Deirdre was amazing took care of all 5 of us. Pork bun was the highlight of the meal, fluke starter was also very good. Oyster were not very tasty, large with no real taste & Pork shoulder was very rich in taste, a little too much. It was nice evening , good atmosphere but based on the cost not sold yet, will give it another try!
    We got extremely lucky to get a fabulous meal without reservation. After just landed, dropped our suitcases at the hotel, grabbed a cab and our our friends and had one of most impressive and authentic meals. And the drinks. And the vibe.
    Walked in alone so could not get a sufficiently varied menu, however, here goes. In my mind food always trumps everything else. I was greeted and seated at the bar very nicely and the house rose was just perfect for my taste, so that was especially nice. When the menu is limited, then one expects greatness in every dish. The Wagyu beef tartare thingie in the raw section laid out on beef fat caught my eye immediately, as I just love beef fat, unfortunately the treatment here was not to my taste, was good though. The chili pickled shrimp tastes fresh,clean, sharp and simply delish. The pork chops are the ultimate umami of flavors, mind blowing. Never had anything pork sooo goood! Had to run out before having any pudding. My loss!
    A bit of everything...the seafood we tried, a mixed bowl with many things, had a spice sause which makes seafood taste like spice...And maybe it's intentionally to try to avoid a lack of taste, but it shouldn't! All the other food dishes were quite good, and again, pork bums were just surprisingly perfect. About the price, average. For shure I'll go back again without try seafood!!

Similar places people viewed in New York