Mile End

American Restaurant

Mile End104
poutine • smoked meat • sandwich • bagels

Mile End has 30 Tips

Noah Bernamoff opened New York's first Montreal-style deli in Brooklyn back in 2010 to introduce Gothamites to true smoked meat, which is more aggressively spiced and peppery than our pastrami.
    Named after Montreal's Mile End neighborhood, home to some of the best poutine and smoked meat in the world. If you've never had a poutine, now's your chance. It looks odd but it tastes like heaven.
    1 Like
    Sandwich list
    It's rich without being overwhelming, with an awesome grind that's chewier than your average burger. Mustard and crisp house pickles offset the meatiness nicely.
    Lots of Middle Eastern flavors are on display here, like harissa, a za’tar spiced bun, and an eggplant mayo. So good.
    Et av de beste stedene å få en sandwich. Innovative mesterverk.
    "Mile End corned beef Reuben. I don't know what I'd do if this place wasn't a half block from my apartment. Probably lose weight..." - Gabriela Alford, art director
    "Smoked meat" = pastrami of the gods
    get the Smoked-Meat burger with a side of poutine
    Get the cucumber salad
    Read about this place online and decided to try it. Really good sandwiches and they had a chile verde poutine special. The poutine was a nice surprise. I highly recommend it. Wish we were in the area more often.
    Better than Katz's! My husband and I came here for a late lunch on a Saturday. Great service. I had a traditional corned beef, and it was so delicious. The meat was lean, fresh, and sliced just right. Yummy pickles. I think this is my new favorite Deli in NYC!
    Admittedly, we come to NY once a year. This is the third year we have stopped at Mile End - Year 1 - ate here twice- it was so good - the smoked meat rich/tender/beautifully flavored - the best red cabbage slaw I had ever had (got cookbook so I could duplicate at home). Year 2 - different slaw - a slightly stale bread - meat not as flavorful but maybe a bad day... Year 3 - I think someone forgot to smoke the meat - I swear it tasted like boiled corned beef and the sides (poutine and gravy over fries) were just so-so. Maybe another bad day - but probably our last.
    Our hotel recommended this place and we loved it. We were hungover after a late night and these sandwiches hit the spot.
    This is a must visit for us when we're in NYC. The smoked meat sandwich and poutine are the shop favorite, I love the Tuna on rye. Great selection of beers as well.
    Our friend lives close by, so she took us there to check it out. The food was very tasty, the atmosphere is cool and hip and the service was quick and friendly.
    We went while on vacation a few days ago. Canadian and Jewish, we thought we new what to expect at something billed as a Montreal deli, but really, it was more of a unique - and excellent hybrid. Succulent smoked meat and a smoked meat poutine. Something to remember!
    Stopped in here for a quick bite. Got the smoked meats hash with sunny side up eggs. It was spot on. As for the particulars of smoked meats vs having it in Montreal- I've only had a proper one at Reuben's. With that said I favored mile ends vs. Reuben's, although it was served differently. Will make a trip back to try the sandwich and have a more fair comparison.
    Went there a while ago for a special celebration of my Canadian province holiday. This place claim to offer Montreal Mile End food. Dont believe this for one moment. I had the smoke meat sandwich, what a disappointment ! It was sliced very thick. Smoke meat is never ever thick. My neighbor had a poutine. The sauce was a gravy not a poutine sauce. Cheese don't mention it. They did not have the beer they were advertising either. Total fail.cant believe some of the review I read. Don't pretend to be what you are not.
    My husband had raved about their pastrami sandwiches and so we were eagerly looking forward to trying it. The service, if you can call it that, was nonchalant and not particularly helpful. We finally asked for a deli plate and our server had to ask the kitchen if they would do it for lunch. No idea why they wouldn't allow customers to sample their deli meats at lunch. When they finally agreed to make it, the meats were very lean causing the pastrami and corned beef to be very dry. I have had much better pastrami elsewhere and I don't know what the fuss is all about. I certainly would not make a special trip down there to eat that sandwich.
    Excellent smoked meat. Limited menu. The food was good, but it seemed a little over priced, even by NYC standards.
    We went there to try something small and local. It was extremely friendly and the food was simply outstanding. Very small so assume a wait for a seat.
    Went all the way down to this deli just for the poutine. It didn't disappoint, it was awsome!!! The fries were SO good!
    Really lovely clean and modern deli that is a bit kooky as a Canadian themed deli. All the deli favourites on the menu - including poutine. The service was excellent from beginning to end. It was an accidental visit and I will definitely go back. A highlight of my trip to New York.
    My wife and I had lunch at Mile End Sandwich Shop on April 17, 2016, while visiting New York. We arrived around 12:30 PM, and we were promptly seated and given a menu. The seating is not extensive, but a few seats were available when we arrived. Our server was Bianca, and she promptly took our order. My wife ordered the smoked meat hash, and I ordered the chicken schnitzel BLT. In addition, we ordered a pickle plate as an appetizer. The service was very good, as we received our order in less than 10 minutes. My wife and I both enjoyed our food, and we particularly liked the pickle plate. The prices are bit above average, but this is to be expected for New York City.
    Decent food. Thought it would be better. Sandwiches are pretty decent, but not amazing. Prices were a bit steep than I would like. I saw that the PM of Canada came there so thought it was worth a try. Definitely coming again, but prob not frequently. Coffee was a bit stale too.
    The place to go if you want to eat poutines - with Canadian stout to match! I also especially recommend the smoked meat burger and don't forget to ask about the desserts. Nice vibe and excellent food.
    Having already become a Black Seed bagel fan, I was eager to try this Montreal inspired deli that serves said terrific bagel. We were not disappointed! The smoked meat sandwich and Reuben were spot on -- and our son loved his breakfast for dinner. We all enjoyed the poutine and the half sour pickles. So close to The Public Theatre, we will come again to this reasonable and delicious deli. Service was so friendly and prompt. Hear that the place gets crowded for breakfast and lunch -- but it wasn't hard to get a table at all for an early, pre-theatre dinner.
    One very fortunate fact in New York City is the diversity of cuisines found in various types of restaurants. This is one example. This is a Montreal Jewish style deli and sandwich shop. It is very casual and "cheap eats". It had two locations: Brooklyn and Bond Street( which is a lovely old New York Street with cobblestone streets). The original is in Montreal. The speciality to try is smoked meat, which is a Montreal delicacy . I am not Canadian, but if you love meat, it may be worth a try. Many other selections as well with a emphasis on Jewish deli options.
    Went for lunch today and had the smoked meat sandwich ,Cole slaw ,pickle and fries. The cole slaw and pickle were very good and the fries were ok . However the meat sandwich was just ok . The meat was tasty but very chewy and the sandwich was small . Why bother when you can go to Katzs for a far superior sandwich which is also twice as big .

Similar places people viewed in New York