Photo of International Center of Photography in New York, NY, US

International Center of Photography53.5
small museum • display area • bryant park • great photos

1133 Avenue Of The Americas Frnt 1A
New York, NY 10036, US

International Center of Photography has 25 Tips

Photos
    Usually has some great works on display. Free on Friday afternoons too.  Thanks @raja for the tip!
    Free on Fridays, 5-8pm
    1 Like
    A must for any photography lovers, the collection on display here spans two floors and hosts some of the best modern photography in the world. The gift shop is one of the best in NYC and is a great place to pick up prints, books, and magazines.
    Check out A Different Kind of Order: The ICP Triennial, May 17th – Sept. 22nd.
    Current exhibit is of works produced by the Magnum photo agency. The exhibit was very high quality. The museum is small so it isn't overwhelming. A couple of hours will be well spent.
    I love photography so when we visited New York this museum was on the top of our list to visit. It did not disappoint, I loved all the exhibitions very inspiring.
    I went there on a pay-what-you-wish Thursday night. There weren't people, which was good. I wish I got there earlier. The center may appear to be small but I didn't get to savor all the pieces when they closed it. The visit was kind of overwhelming for me, but in a good way. I cried. I smiled. I wrote down many names of photographers and several people, places and events captured in the photos that I wanted to further research on. These photos ignited various emotions that were so strong. I could not use full sentences to describe the feelings- Timeless. We are all the same. No languages needed.
    Went here to see the Magnum Exhibition, was a great space to show the excellent pieces of photography in an open setting
    This exhibition celebrates 70 anniversary of Magnum the renowned photo agency. Interesting exhibition not so much for the art displayed but rather The topics it covers. Part 1 human rights and wrongs following ww2 magnum photographers defended the concept of universality Part 2 an inventory of differences Photographers that took role as authors and documented the others whether it was immigrants, disabled, prisoners and gypsies. Part 3 stories about endings Members of the magnum agency devote themselves photographing whatever was in the process of disappearing :communism, traditional forms of fishing, Concorde and perhaps even photography itself.
    Although we enjoyed the exhibitions, we were surprised at how small this center is. By the name alone we expected something much larger and grander. The space is painted white and well laid out. There are lifts and stairs between floors and clean rest rooms. On the ground floor is a modern space with a coffee bar, places to sit/work and a very small gift shop.
    I really enjoyed my visit to the ICP Museum. The exhibits were thought-provoking and very well done. I will say that it's probably not for everyone, however. The topics were very serious, as the exhibits I experienced ranged from global warming to refugees to transgender. If you like a place that makes you stop and think, though, this might be the place for you.
    This is not truly a photography exhibit in the artistic sense more like a political display and also there's no standing exhibition so things change regularly. Best to check what your going to see before you pay to go in.
    So we set out with the trusty guide book that sent us up near the MoMa which is totally the wrong direction so we headed for the school who gave us the actual address. It's only two floors but very thought-provoking stuff. The exhibition we went to was more moving image than stills but still makes you really think. It was certainly interesting.
    We went with three teenagers, some of which were not exited to go... but the exhibit was engaging for them. They even thanked us for taking them there, haha. We were there for about less than two hours. The exhibit does not have only photographs but also videos. There was a small cafe with very good looking quiches, nutella brownies and cakes. We tried to go to Katz after the visit (which is very close) but the lines were so long that we ended in a nice Greek restaurant nearby.
    This museum is hard to rate since it does not appear to have a permanent exhibition. Fact is, this is not a museum of photography per se. A relatively small space, which is used for temporary exhibitions. The value of the current privacy, public, something or rather exhibit is a matter of taste. I did find it pretentious and not interesting. Other people seem to like it. The exhibition goes beyond sheer photography and you need to read a lot of text that provides explanation of what each artist is trying to express.
    this is one of my favorite museums. they were on 6th ave, but they lost the lease, so they moved to the Bowery. now that neighborhood is in a renaissance (which in some ways is unfortunate -- can never be the same once a Whole Foods moves in!). but they have had cutting-edge and provocative exhibits, as is the case right now. current one is on subject of public, private, secret. makes one think about just what should be shared, and how there is so little privacy now. it is a small museum, but worth the visit....and you can get a shared admission with the New Museum across the street. do go, but understand that this museum often has exhibits that are not for the faint of heart.
    ​ It's not a place you go to stare at and be dazzled by visually-pleasing, well-crafted photos, although some of them can be described that way. The photo installations (and some videos) offer insights on popular culture and socio-political issues, past and present. I found myself enjoying the commentary as much as the photos. Pay-as-you-wish every Thursday evening.
    We have enjoyed wonderful exhibits at the former location but this visit to the new museum was depressing. In addition to entering through the food area, the show "Public, Private, Secret" was in a much smaller display area than was used at the former site. We did not enjoy this somewhat chaotic show but do understand that the museum wanted to open with an exhibit designed to be provocative and perhaps titillate a new audience in this part of the city. Hopefully, there will be future exhibits showcasing more of the wonderful photography in the museum's archives. The bookstore has been decimated and is basically now in a closet. What a loss. I am glad I read Trip Advisor reviews before visiting as I warned my family what to expect.
    This museum did not click with us. Very modern and largely video based. There were about 6 artists featured - only one got our interest. Tickets are $14.
    There's nothing interesting to see here but morden rubish and pretensious art. I paid 14 usd expecting to see something original and unique, but there was nothing like that at this place. I'm used to visit the MEP (Maison Européenne de la Photographie), in Paris, twice a year, and that's allways a really nice place to go, with nice exibitions. This ICP is nothing comparing with the MEP. Don't waist your time going there.
    I am all for pushing the envelop in photography, but the current exhibit, "Public, Private, Secret," just doesn't work. It's cutting edge in terms of using social media imagery to reflect contemporary changes in the boundaries of public and private, but those images lack any aesthetic value. I was hoping that the museum was more than just the current exhibit and was very disappointed when I learned at this was all there was.
    “Public, Private, Secret” (through January 8, 2017), artists try to make sense of the torrent of images unleashed by YouTube, social media, surveillance cameras and more, as older works from the 36-exposure era stand in contrast. It was very unsettling to see Kim Kardashian’s selfies between works by Andy Warhol and Cindy Sherman, for example. But that is the point of the exhibit, I suppose.
    I was expecting some great photography but was extremely disappointed in the current exhibits. Instead, there are video clips that seemed to have little meaning and photographs that seemed to have no connection as part of one exhibit. It was a waste of money.
    Considering NYC is one of the world capitols for photography, the exhibits here are worthy of middle school students. Very nice space, but some of the most worthless art I've seen. Do not recommend and will not be returning.

Similar places people viewed in New York