Gray's Papaya

Fast Food Restaurant

Gray's Papaya74
papaya juice • sauerkraut • recession special • beef

Gray's Papaya has 27 Tips

NYC hot dog institution: recession special of two dogs and a drink for $4.95
    Top your dogs with free condiments like sweet onion sauce and wash them down with a virgin pina colada. Gray's two locations are open 24 hours, 365 days a year.
    There are no frills here, and you certainly get your money’s worth— the recession special hooks up two old-school dogs with fixings with a medium drink for just under five bucks.
    How are they so consistently great? It's mind boggling.
    A landmark. Go. Their perfectly grilled dogs always hit the spot. Even if you're vegan, go get a papaya drink.
    Good enough for Anthony Bourdain
    A must. Recession special with mustard and kraut.
    My husband and I headed here after some time in Central Park and are glad we did. Hot dogs that a tender and have that snap. Be sure to splurge for relish.
    Gray's Papaya is a great place to grab a hot dog or even a burger. The feel is very New York, it's a quick and easy. You can't have just one. A must try when in the city. Beats a street cart anytime.
    I know Gray's Papaya is very well-known for both hot dogs and papaya drinks, but I found them both disappointing. Not being a smoothie or really a juice fan, I did not have much expectation regarding the papaya drink, but I expected more out of the hot dog. Not awful, but certainly not worth a special trip. They do stay open rather late if you need a late night snack, however, and there is some benefit in that.
    I try not to eat street dogs anymore. Something to do with my Dr.'s orders. Every once in a while I break down and go for a Gray's Papaya. I like mine well done with kraut and mustard. Super New Yorkie thing to do.
    Years ago this place was amazing.. $3.00 for 2 hot dogs and a drink. The hotdogs are ok but they aren't anything special and now that recession special is $5.75. Not worth it for small hotdogs and a cup filled with ice.
    It's a different taste of sandwich hotdog (in my own opinion). Most of the crews are filipino :). Try it!
    While I found them to be a little salty, they snap when you bite into them. 2 dressed dogs and a 16oz for $3.75 (special) is the best meal price in all of NY!
    Hi there ! How are you doin? typecally American food, this is a must restaurant or place you have to Visit ini NEW YORK ! take a picture and share it.
    I went there because two people i know mentioned it and has nice reviews here. Well honestly I've tasted better hotdogs and the papaya juice is interesting. Nothing really great but it is a New York must go place and it'll satisfy your craving. I had two hotdog sandwiches and a papaya juice all for usd 5.95
    So New York! Great deal, $5.95 for 2 hot dogs and a drink. Delicious NY hot dogs. Must do for a tourist!
    Suspend your sense of anything special and just enjoy the hot dog and papaya drink special. Tasty juice and hot dogs smothered in onions and/or sauerkraut. No stools, just a couple of small stand-up counters. Nobody stays more than five or ten minutes, but it's a great eat-and-go place with good fruit juices and dawgs...it's been a success since the 1970s.
    Have tasted heaps better. The sausages were barely lukewarm and fairly salty. It's a cramped busy hotdog place, cheap, but you get what you pay for.
    Gray's Papaya is a classic hot dog restaurant on a street corner in Manhattan's Upper West Side. It was referred to in the film "Fools Rush In", staring Salma Hayek and Mathew Perry. Our family likes hot dogs, so this was a natural for us. Order and pay at the counter and eat your meal at a stand-up counter or standing on the sidewalk. Hot dogs were on the good side of average but the eating situation was found wanting. We would not make a special diversion to go again, but would probably stop in again if in the area with a hankering for hot dogs.
    Eating 3 or 4 of these dogies in the big apple and a couple of juices is something that you cannot avoid, do not worry you will survive, it's just hot dogs with the most amazing toppings ever, reminds me the old times in the streets of my beloved Caracas, with a touch of class, don' miss it, otherwise you were not in NYC
    Stopped here after hearing how good the hot dogs were. I wasn't disappointed. The hotdogs were great. I got relish, sauerkraut, and ketchup on mine. Yummy. I ordered the coconut champagne to drink. It was delicious also. It was the perfect lunch in the perfect people watching place.
    Gray's Papaya offers excellent hot dogs and fruit smoothies. I had a chili dog with cheese. Service is fast . The kitchen is clean. The menu is limited and focused on fast food but it is done well. They do a good job on their core offering. I will return.
    Must admit I was a bit uncertain about the place, but it was great! Not only cheap, but awesome taste and simple enough to eat as you go in the big city !
    This spot is about 2 blocks from Times Square. The hot dogs are great and they serve fresh juices (papaya, grape, pineapple and coconut). It's open late and service is quick! I recommend!
    Best hot dogs and fresh juice. Point blank period. First time I had Gray's Papaya was years ago on a visit and it was after-hours. It was great then but today I had to try it again... this time with my family and sober. Happy to report that these dogs are better than I remember. They also serve Frisch juice e.g. Coconut, papaya, pineapple, etc. sounds weird but it's not. Seriously delicious and economical.
    Good food and even better prices. Wanted to visit this famous NY eatery, and it did not disappoint. It was close to our hotel, so we walked over around 10:30 at night. I would recommend making the visit if you're in the area.

Similar places people viewed in New York