Bar Boulud

French Restaurant

Bar Boulud114
brunch • charcuterie • pate • salad

Bar Boulud has 31 Tips

Charcuterie is very good - esply liked Le pate grand mere; very good salade Nicoise
    Bar Boulud offers guests pure, unadulterated French Bistro. A varying selection of pattes and terrines along with an ever impressive seasonal menu gives guests a firsthand view of a fine french Bistro. Inspired by his humble upbringing, owner Daniel Boulud ensures that Bar Boulud mirrors his commitment to sustainability. It buys nearly every ingredient from locally sourced, sustainable farms and donates to over fourteen local charities every year.
    Dinner, endless wine selection
    Dinner, endless wine selection
    Favorite Daniel Boulud restaurant; great cocktails as well
    As I wrote in my BITE, small plates at the bar of Daniel’s new Boulud Sud are a perfect prelude to a concert but I’m not the only one with that idea. The place is usually jammed with early birds pre-theater as is Bar Boulud next door.
    At Bar Boulud focus on the amazing varieties of terrines and pâtés. Daniel Boulud hired a chef from Paris’ most prestigious traiteur to teach his kitchen how.
    Try some of their “legendary” Burgundy wines.
    Experience the superior cuisine in a refined and chic yet rather casual setting on the Upper West Side.
    This French bistro by Daniel Boulud flaunts gorgeous architecture and similarly exquisite food. The Restaurant Week menu includes Atlantic skate, and a sausage board, as well as homemade ice cream. Can't wait!
    Ordered a herb omelet for two individuals. Ham omelets were served. They were returned and 20 minutes later two correct omelets were served with greasy potato's. No toast. No refill offered for coffee. No apology for the lateness of the 2nd order. No discount for our inconvenience.
    We went with friends as a treat on them after they ate at the one in London which they highly recommended and this didn't disappoint. The menu is small like most good restaurants but offering very tasty dishes with emasculate presentation great wine list and very attentive staff.
    Had lunch at Bar Boulud a few years ago and was unimpressed. Therefore, I did not expect much but went there because my friends wanted to. We sat in the outdoor area, which was pleasant. However, the food was less than spectacular. I had mussels with frites, which was o.k., but overpriced. One friend had trout and the other an appetizer plus dessert. They found the food was not as good as a previous time. They felt that "the chef had an off day." As far as I am concerned this place is overpriced for what they offer even though the location across from Lincoln Center is great.
    I have eaten at upscale Boulud restaurants and at Bar Boulud in Knightsbridge. Bar Boulud on Broadway is my favorite. The chic barrel ceiling and minimalist take on an old French cellar's stone wall make for a calm environment away from the hurley burley of busy Broadway. If you prefer action, you can sit on the sidewalk with a great view of Lincoln Center. One couple I sat next to were watching the Center's outdoor screen to make sure they weren't late. Most important the food is consistently excellent. A great mix of healthy and comfort without compromising on taste or authentic French flavor in food and service. For that the price is reasonable. All in all a find.
    Since other Upper WestSide eateries were packed on 8/9/17 took a third shot at this one. Remained consistently pathetic. The steak frites featured by the NY Strip for $42 was tasteless, completely fat laden and without redeeming qualities. Daniel Boulud has dropped the ball. Who is watching the ranch? The server was pleasant despite being over worked with serving many tables. However, he could not resuscitate this meal with aggressive CPR. No one checked on my satisfaction or not throughout the meal. The matre'd was invisible. With this fare it is understandable. Plates were cleared away promptly as tables were turned over with speed and precision. This is the THIRD STRIKE for Bar Boulud ... YOU ARE OUT!!!
    I had no set plans this year for my birthday so decided to go to Bar Boulud for the second time.....since I was by myself I opted for the bar & it turned out to be just what I wanted; from the lovely hostess, to my servers....everything was perfect. I started with a delicious piece of pate & settled on the roasted duck which was out of this world & done precisely how I had asked.....in addition, I had several glasses of the Rose Pinot Noir which paired perfectly with my dinner....I live in NYC & can't wait to go back but for a visitor to NYC it is a perfect choice especially if you are going to Lincoln Center(right across the street); great neighborhood for shopping as well !!!! Bar Boulud gets 5 big stars !!!!
    Went to Bar Boulud in NYC because I liked the one in London. To my disappointment I didn't like the atmosphere or decor and it was tight quarters so uncomfortable. I sat at the bar which is short so it wasn't pleasant. The food was okay just like the wait staff. I wouldn't go back, once was enough.
    Located close to Lincoln Center--convenient if you are attending an event there. (There are several restaurants in the same building.) The decor is very pleasant. A large selection of wines is available. Our service was friendly and efficient. The food quality was mixed; so so gazpacho, cheese plate, and salad Lyonnaise (a surprise), but good charcuterie and bread. The prices seemed high given the quality of the food, but are competitive compared to other restaurants in this area.
    Food is OK but expect to take 2 hours to get it. i have come here quite a few times and every time I think to myself I will never come back. Since the location is so good I end up going again. And every time I am reminded of why I swear never to go again. They are soooooo slow its painful. The service is mediocre. They are nice but they all hve 2 left hands an drew again, it's soooooooo slow. We waited 15 min just for the check to come back to us. Overall this place is way overrated and overpriced.
    Went for an early dinner last night. Room is very nice, service was good and food was okay. I thought the main (loup de mer) was very good but did not care for the peach melba and the salad was pretty standard. Somewhat pricey, but it is a tourist area.
    Immediately across theaters of Lincoln Center, this Francophile restaurant offers a full charcuterie with a multitude of pâtés is temporarily hidden under scaffolding. Outside cafe style seating has a busy bus stop but also a guitar playing when we arrived. Inside it was delightfully quiet until 6:30 when cacophony of Pre-concert crowd a bit too much. Recommend reservations Pre-show for Restaurant Week 3- course $42 dinner choices arugula salad starter average but generous with walnuts and fine goat cheese. However the Loup de Mer fish was just superb with a crispy skin and terrific accompaniment and the peach Melba dessert with vanilla bean ice cream is really more raspberry mouse and just perfection. Several Pate and duck liver choices on fine charcuterie menu. Mom ordered off standard menu the duck. It was the best either of us ever had. Cappuccino very small and not very strong. Our waitress a bit beleaguered at 5:30, but the busfellow in black was friendly and very attentive. Wine a bit pricey and skimpy in first pour, but generous on 2nd glass.
    This visit to Bar Boulud was a bit of a let down. The service was slow, and the food was good, but not remarkable. The mussels were just so-so. I expect more when I pay top dollar.
    The location is PERFECT for Lincoln Center events. This restaurant is pricey! The staff is friendly. The outdoor/indoor seating is charming. The drinks are small and expensive! We love wine and we were not happy with the choices on the menu. The best thing we got was the Charcuterie and cheeses. For our main course, we shared a pasta (good but very small) and a steak which was of average quality (not good for steak). I would go back if I was headed to Lincoln Center and stick to the Charcuterie.
    Went there for brunch. The main course we all chose was fine: the Maine lobster roll which was quite tasty and nourishing, with big chunks of lobster. We accompanied it with an outrageously priced Prosecco "Rustico"($64)- in fact all wine prices were excessive in my opinion. We shared two desserts: one rhubarb and one strawberry pastries which were quite tasty. Service was efficient. They also feature charcuterie dishes on a separate menu but that will be the object of a future commentary.
    The wine pairing is great the food if actually v good Rez r a must Despite this I gave this establishment 3 stars because the hostess was a bit snobbish (even for NYC) and the tip which reflected the snobbishness was adjusted by the establishment which is not cool!!! Opera lovers beware!!
    Please make a reservation especially in the cool-cold months. The food is excellent and the service is right on the mark. A great menu with all sorts of hot and cold pates and main dishes. I usually go for as large-a-selection that I can handle at the moment of pates. My wife moves in the direction of the Boudin Blanc (even I like it). From time-to-time I will have the coq au vin or the steak tartar. The pea soup is not split pea and so on the sweet side. The wines by the glass affords a very large selection.
    My partner and I went to Bar Boulud for brunch to try out this restaurant before we went to an event at the Lincoln Center. Overall, I thought the brunch food was very inventive and tasty, and this is not a run-of-the-mill brunch spot. It was rather easy to get brunch reservations for the weekend on the same day. The space is rather open, and even though the restaurant was pretty full, it was not loud. However, there is construction going on outside and so everything is marred by the scaffolding. They do have some generic brunch options that are just eggs and carbs, but they have far more of a lunch menu with their traditional Mediterranean fare. The trout roe dip was delicious with the dill potato chips, and they brought more chips when we ran out. The lamb burger I had was absolutely delicious and certainly something I would recommend. The sea bass that my partner ordered was full of flavor and also a good entrée. Overall, I was impressed with all the food here. The food tends to be on the pricier side, but nothing outrageous and they actually are making very well-executed food.
    Really nice place. Excellent food. The place is really nice. Prices are average for Broadway/Columbus Circle. Great dining experience.
    Dined there recently and the trout and hamburger dishes are worth it. Casual seating, not too noisy!
    I was looking forward to eating here because every time I'd pass it, it always looked so busy. I thought it would be really "wow", but I was a bit disappointed. I had the omelette (requested egg whites only), with Gruyere and mushrooms. The home fries were different because it's a French restaurant, so don't expect your average home fries (see photos). They also have a very different taste. My friend had eggs with goat cheese and spinach. Both dishes were average. Prices are a bit high because of the location (across from Lincoln Center). Coffee was ok. Staff was attentive.

Similar places people viewed in New York