The Ugly Duckling

Bar

The Ugly Duckling24.5
chicken wings • mac and cheese • pulled pork • great service

The Ugly Duckling has 22 Tips

Comfortable booths with plenty of delicious draft options, and lick-your-fingers-good bar food. Sweet corn and pork belly fritters, kebabs, and of course, french fries smothered in delicious tomatoey house ketchup.
    1 Like
    A Cobble Hill building once deemed one of the city's ugliest two-story bunkers has been converted into a bar that sells 30 kinds of craft beer.
    Visited this establishment with friends. We all had a great time. Relaxed atmosphere, good food and a friendly, attentive staff!! Everyone enjoyed their meals. I had the pulled pork sandwich. It was excellent. Great place to go for drinks and dinner with friends. They don’t rush you out the door so you can hang as long as you like. I definitely recommend this cozy little place
    Had a reasonable NYC dinner with a decent wine & beer list. They missed our deviled egg appetizer but owner insisted we stay at the end & try it on the house... good choice... great app & great place
    Stopped in here by chance exploring Brooklyn. Great place, nice vibes, friendly bar staff and nice cocktails.
    Great for locals and tourists, Ugly Duckling gets comfort food right. The fried pickles, mac and cheese, and chicken and waffles are the highlights. The beer on tap selection is eclectic and diverse, and the service is consistently friendly and quick. Cozy and warm space especially on a cold winter's day!
    This was the second visit for us. My son who now lives in Brooklyn, suggested we meet here for some burgers, but I suspect he what he really wanted was the Fried Chicken and Waffles. We arrived 10 minutes late for a 7 pm reservation, but no matter, we were taken promptly to our table. The place was relatively crowded but it was not so noisy that we couldn't carry on a proper conversation. Our waiter came over with water and asked if we had decided on drink choices. My son quickly chose a beer, Six Point Resin which has an alcohol content of about 9%. His fiance ordered a Chardonnay, I had a rather tasty Cotes-du-Rhone and my husband, a Cabernet. All were served promptly and were a fairly good sized pour. After being allowed to chat a bit, our waiter took our food orders, and true to form, my son ordered the Fried Chicken and Waffles Sandwich ($18), which comes with fries, he talked his fiance into the Fried Chicken and Waffle dinner ($16), my husband had a Cheeseburger and fries ($14) and I ordered the Pulled Pork Sandwich ($15) which comes with fries and a tiny cup of coleslaw. All sandwiches come with a mix of regular and sweet potato fries. Our dinners arrived within a reasonable period of time, at the same time, and all were hot. Fiance swooned over the Fried Chicken, saying it was the best fried chicken she ever had. This coming from a girl who had sworn off chicken about 2 years ago because she thought it made her sick. Quite a compliment to Ugly Duckling. My Pulled Pork was so-so, being a bit dry and chewy. It could have had more pork on that roll and more barbeque sauce, either served on the side or from a bottle on the table. Husband gave a thumbs up to the burger and son took half of his waffle home, as did fiance. The entire bill came to about $140 with tip and another Six Point Resin, another Chardonnay AND another Cabernet. Not bad by NYC standards. Good food, great service...I say "GO".
    I went looking for a place to have a light afternoon snack and a beer when I discovered Ugly Duckling. The place was very stylish and had the greatest selection of draft beer. I ordered some food, which was delicious, and got to taste a few different beers before I had to decide witch one I wanted for my meal. Great service! Recommended!
    We stopped here for a meal in late June. The place itself was pretty cool looking both inside and out, hence us being attracted to it. I must admit that the food and drink were both to a high standard, however the service was a bit hit and miss. We were slow to be served, and although our waitress was friendly, she just seemed a little rushed off her feet. Probably understaffed, but certainly had better service everywhere else in Brooklyn and Manhatten during the week we were there. Would this out me off going again, probably not as the food was good and perfect location for where we were staying.
    Been to Ugly Duckling many times. It is a large space with a long bar and several flat screen TVs. The vibe is basically a very upscale sports bar. The food reflects that - think gourmet pub food. Probably the best thing on the menu is the beer list. They have a very extensive list of craft beers and serve tasting flights as well.
    Ugly Duckling has a good (and changing) selection of local beers; it serves good pub grub to go with the drinks, too. The service is quick, but if you want a table during busy times, you'll need to book.
    A definite go to bar with a good menu (especially that burger and Chicken Waffle Sandwich). You will be well taken care of by Kevin at the bar and Peter running the restaurant. Looking forward to those front doors being open onto Smith St.
    We stumbled into the Ugly Duckling after a very long day of traveling and exploring NY. Great choice. Our server was friendly and very efficient and helpful. My husband rated their dirty vodka martini as one of the best ever - and he's had a few! I had the salmon - done to perfection and my husband had the hanger steak - tender and flavorful. The veggies were also flavorful and not over cooked. Nice atmosphere with people at the bar and families around tables. Lots of craft beer selections. We will definitely return on our next trip to Brooklyn.
    Met up with friends for brunch. Food was unique and delicious. Nice eclectic atmosphere. Drinks and food were pricey ($5 domestic beer/$8 mimosa) - I'm not from the City, so maybe this is typical, but the bill was shocking for three lunches and some drinks.
    I was walking down Smith St. in Brooklyn to find a place to eat, and I came upon the Ugly Duckling. The story behind the name is fun. Plenty of craft-beer selections and a somewhat diverse menu. I had fried chicken and waffles that were heavenly. A bar and restaurant combo with TV access. At times, it was a bit loud inside, but I’m glad I found the Ugly Duckling.
    30 taps with 17 local beers - can't get better than that! Also, best chicken wings we've had in a long time!! Also the bartender is super friendly.
    The Ugly Duckling is a cute eatery/bar. There is a big wide comfortable bar, 15-20 tables, a big glass front open to the sidewalk in warm weather and maybe most uniquely for Smith Street they actually have the game on. That is right, no waxed mustaches or skinny jeans, but a bunch of TVs all showing the game. Ugly Duckling isn't a sports bar, it is a restaurant and brew pub first and foremost but unlike seemingly every other establishment in Cobble Hill they understand that the NFL is a thing. The menu is small, solid and unspectacular but what's on it is really good. My friend had the grilled salmon and said is was bueno, I had a pulled pork sam'ich (delicious) and there was also brisket and a burger at our table. Nary a single complaint. The beer list runs 30 deep, there is wine and they have cocktails. The bar is a relative newcomer to the 'hood but the owners were born in Rockaway so there is a bit of an old school feel. Wait staff is friendly and attentive. Good spot to meet friends - right near the Bergen F train stop.
    Great service Amazing flavours. If you want BBQ and great hops head here! fantastic!! I was craving BBQ this was far better than I imagined. I ordered brisket and mentioned I really wanted BBQ flavour-They brought extra sauce which was insanely good. Fries were sweet potato blend...my favorite and crispy. Excellent beer recommendations and really great atmosphere. Sports bar/Road house.
    We found this by chance on our way past - it looked welcoming and it was. The staff were lovely, the beer selection varied and good and the food was great!
    I had the Chicken and Waffles which was pretty good. The chicken was really good. The Ahi Tuna Burger was also really good. The environment of the restaurant was nice. It's a perfect place for brunch.
    We were walking by and needed to grab a late lunch/afternoon snake. Enjoyed the food a lot. We had deviled eggs, pickle plate, chicken wings, and some mac and cheese. All were really good and would be recommended. There's a wide selection of beers on tap.
    On a sunny Sunday afternoon, my friends and I ventured in to have some chicken and waffles. We ordered Hawaiian coffees, and deviled eggs with fried oysters as well. The Hawaiian coffees had Kahlua in them, but the bar ran out. The staff quickly ventured out to pick up some, aplogized, and decided to comp our deviled eggs. Needless to say, the service was amazing, attentive, and friendly. Andrew was our cute waiter - personable and funny. Furthermore, the food was scrumptious. Chicken was crisp and moist, and the waffles were freshly made. Highly recommended.

Similar places people viewed in Brooklyn

Browse Bars in Nearby Neighborhoods