Athena's

Restaurant

Athena's14
laser lights • tupelo honey

Athena's has 13 Tips

A local bar that is family owned, Athena's has everything from stand-up comedy on Wednesday nights to a club atmosphere on the weekend. Don't miss their signature drink, The Mean Athena! Music, cocktails, beer & stand-up comedy!
    Fun late night bar with a DJ and Karaoke! The bar was quiet, but we brought our own crowd. Central downtown area. Lot of restaurants and shops nearby. Something for the late night crowd!
    Went to Athena's with my girlfriend when we were visiting Asheville. We hit a lot of restaurants and breweries during our three days in town. This was easily the funniest night of our stay. The owner (wish I could remember his name) was running the bar. He made me a killer margarita then came over to play pool with us and taught me some cool trick shots. Pool is completely free by the way. Then a DJ showed up with a karaoke setup and cool laser lights. It was just a blast all the way around. Strong drinks, great prices and a whole slew of fun people from around the country. Definitely going back! Wish I got some better pics but those drinks were doing their jobs pretty well.
    We like many, stumbled on this one waiting for seats at Tupelo honey. They claim the best Bloody Mary in town and while I can't confirm its the absolute best it is very goood! Part of the adds is a slice of Tupelo Honey bacon and it works !!! The owner/bartender is top shelf and we had a similar experience as Stephen D's review. Check them out is our vote!
    We were waiting for dinner seats at Tupelo Honey and decided to drop in here for a drink while waiting. We were greeted by the bartender who I believe was also the owner. He helped me select a beer that was perfect and also made my wife aware of a drink special which is there take on a LIT except with coconut rum i think and she LOVED IT!! I was lured in by the live music which was actually a great singer/guitar player who has an awesome station which kind of provides background beats. We had a few drinks while waiting and great conversation with the owner. He even ask my wife and I about music we liked before he made requests. I found that I was kind of disappointed when our table at Tupelo was ready becuase we were having such a good time. if we are back in Asheville we will def be returning to Athenas.....it is a great, clean, really cool bar with no gimmicks....our kind of place
    Visiting Asheville from out of town, we made our way over to Tupelo Honey for dinner, but found some odd local ordinance/law that doesn't allow guests to stand in the bar area and have a drink while you wait. (need a seat?) Going out on the street, we noticed Athena's right next door and popped in. Although we were the only ones in there at that time of the evening (a night club with a later startup time), were were warmly greeted and served drinks by the bartender. Had a nice chat and it was a fun visit. Even though it doesn't look like it belongs in that locale, looked like a fun place to be later in the night. I'd try it!
    Happened to find this place and came in for a while to hit the dance floor. Lasers everywhere. I think we found the 80s again!
    Great place to go ! Family owned and operated ! Athena and Pete are great, always have drink specials ! One Of THE Best Things THIS Little Spot Always Gives TO THE Community ! There for a bday tell them your name will go in the laser lights also a vip where u can do pictures! I use to frequent this place ! I miss u guys ! Kudos !!!!
    Kind of sticks out like a sore thumb in Pritchard Park. We stopped in here for exactly that reason, because the other bars in the area on a Friday night were too crowded for us. Good pool table, had live music at the time, plenty of space to stretch out.
    Buddy and I stopped in for an ale- singer song writer was playing with some NBA on at the bar. Beer prices were very reasonable for Asheville- right near all the crazy of the downtown totally worth it.
    Stopped in while we waited for a table at a restaurant nearby. Great choice. Peter the owner and bartender was very professional and friendly. The drinks are poured properly and they have very good specials. The acoustic guitar player added to the fun, relaxing, grown-up atmosphere.
    I stopped into Athena's Saturday Night for the first time after having walked by the joint for years. I have never really had a desire to go inside but we were celebrating a friends birthday so we said what the heck and ventured in. So the inside does have potential to really be a fantastic place but the body count of bouncers to patrons is 5 to 1. They had a DJ, pool table and several seating areas one of which has a TV. The bartender was attentive and friendly. Immediately, I noticed how intoxicated people were. People were getting louder and louder and unable to walk on their own. And the dancing, well folks were bumping into others resulting into drinks being dropped onto the 8x8 dance floor. So needless to say, Athena's really needs to clean up its act and come up with a new concept for the bar scene in Asheville.
    Although Athena's has a reputation for some nice entertainment, as well as being a fine bar stop, we have had the fortune of being there during very quiet times-----twice now in 2-3 years. The first time, Athena served us some very good drinks, as well as very friendly conversation. This time, we had the fortune of meeting her equally friendly husband Peter. From now on, we'll make a point of dropping in, whenever we visit Asheville (about every couple of years). The personal touch is well worth it!

Similar places people viewed in Asheville

Browse Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods