Photo of Missouri History Museum in Saint Louis, MO, US
Photo of Missouri History Museum in Saint Louis, MO, US
Photo of Missouri History Museum in Saint Louis, MO, US

Missouri History Museum

History Museum

black dress • louisiana purchase • world's fair • forest park

Missouri History Museum has 20 Tips

Great history in this place. I loved the 1904 Worlds Fair section. This was a place worth seeing. We love it.
    We went here after hearing from our friends that the museum was significantly improved from what it was a few years ago. I'm not sure I would call it a "Missouri History" museum as much as a "St. Louis History" museum, but it was great all the same. My only complaint is that the exhibits upstairs (and specifically the one dealing with the pre-1904 timeframe) was not very well organized; although visually appealing, it was difficult to follow because there was absolutely no chronological order to it. With that said, the exhibits overall were great. My kids (ages 12, 9, and 5) really enjoyed the History Clubhouse a/k/a kids section (which closes at 4pm, 1 hour before normal closing time at 5pm). The café had a nice selection of food, although nothing for the vegan member of our party (the menu indicated that sometimes there are vegan choices, but I guess there just weren't any on the particular day we went). We spent about 3 hours there.
    The Missouri History Museum is a very nice museum, and it is completely FREE. My kids could have stayed in the History Clubhouse all day. It was a fun little play area just for kids. I loved all of the exhibits, but the World's Fair Exhibit was my favorite. I loved all of the clothing and the carriage from the era. There was even music and sounds being played that made you feel like you were actually there at the fair. There is an eating area upstairs for a drink, meal, or a snack.
    A great exhibit! So many pictures and stories of St. Louis in the early 20th century. The museum has great exhibits and is a must see when visiting St. Louis. They also have a wonderful gift shop and a great restaurant there called Bixby's. Best of all the museum is free!
    New exhibit opened this month and it is excellent. See panoramic views of St. Louis throughout its history. Try to plan your trip for Tuesday or Saturday when there is a short play about a devastating tornado. Well worth the time! Also on exhibit is Civil Rights in St. Louis, a compelling look at face in St. Louis. The Louisiana Purchase Exhibition hall has all things World''s Fair 1904.so much to see and absorb. We did stop at the cafe on the second floor for a beer but couldn't hit all the exhibits upstairs. So much to see and do. Best of all of is all free (except for the cafe).
    St. Louis is an amazing place to visit because there are so many things to see free and this is another. There are always several exhibits going on at a time. Usually two are changing and a few are fixed like the 1904 World's Fair exhibit. The people there are so nice. There is a very good restaurant with a view of Forest Park and a casual place to pick up sandwiches. It is also close to the Forest Perk Cafe so you could walk between them. The History Museum has a great gift shop. If you are a visitor and want a St. Louis memory this is the shop for you.
    We were able to make it to this museum on a Tuesday after dinner because they're open until 8. We were there for 2 hours and found it very educational. We especially enjoyed the civil rights exhibit.
    I love visiting the History Museum. Always a new display to visit. Very organized and easy to get around. We always make this a stop when guests are in town!
    I love as you walk in there is a huge airplane hanging from the ceiling. I like the room all about the 1906 st. Louis wolrds fair.
    Cultural exhibits are housed in this beautiful building at one entrance to the park. St. Louis's civil rights path was interesting as well as the Route 66. Definitely stop into this one while in the park.
    Admission is free and there is limited parking that is also free! The building itself is amazing. Once inside you should take a moment to look up at the beautiful ceiling. There are temporary exhibits and permanent ones. Today we saw the Civil Rights exhibit, complete with characters dressed up and sharing a history lesson. This is something that everyone should see. The 1904 Worlds Fair exhibit was informative. There was also a children's section with costumes and lots of interactive play. You can even see a replica of the Spirit of St. Louis hanging in the entry.
    The History museum is unique in the exhibits here. I have enjoyed all my trip to this historic stop!
    Great place for young and old. They have a great children's section with things to do for kids, but it is fun for adults to read and learn as well. There was an activity room and my friend's niece was able to do an art project while other adults were going through the World's Fair section. The Route 66 exhibit was temporary, but amazing! Great job by the History Museum, as always!!!
    it's located inside the Forest park, it's free, and it consists of new and old compartments, the outlook of the old one is very classic and beautiful, good for taking picture.
    The Missouri History Museum is another excellent attraction with free admission located in St Louis's Forest Park. It may also be the most accessible with free parking around the building, a Metrolink stop across the street, bus service within the park and maybe one day a trolley that runs to and from the Delmar Loop area. There are currently three areas with a permanent display. The downstairs area in the older building features the time when the attention of the world was on St Louis when it hosted the Worlds Fair and Olympic Games in 1904. The upstairs area in the newer building is split into 2 sections. One tells of the founding of St Louis and up till around 1900. The other side features modern St Louis history from around 1900 on. The downstairs area in the newer building generally showcases temporary exhibits. Sometimes these areas require paid admission but they did not on our visit. We saw the Route 66 exhibit and one that focused on the role St Louis has played in the civil rights movement. Both are very well done. I was surprised to find there is now a large children's area in the museum. I don't know how new it is; this was my first visit in a few years. It features many interactive exhibits for kids on everything from modern buildings, landmarks like the Gateway Arch and Eads Bridge and a very large room for reading and special events. It really added to the visit for my kids and made everything else more relatable. The Missouri History Museum is one of numerous great attractions in Forest Park and is well worth a visit.
    Nice museum that was well done. Several galleries that were well done. It's worth the time to check it out.
    What a hidden gem! I was surprised by the historical artifacts and up to date documentation displayed in the featured exhibit #1 in Civil Rights: The African American Freedom Struggle in St. Louis. My family and I learned a lot from the timelines of events, short documentary news clips and films, and interactive kiosks. The Route 66: Main Street Through St. Louis exhibit, as well as the World's Fair exhibit included interactive displays and were also very informative. There was so much to see, it is worthy of a repeat visit to the MO history museum during our next trip to Saint Louis.
    We were part of a photo group that toured several exhibits including WWI, 1904 World Worlds Fair and Highway 66. I think the World's Fair exhibit was the best followed by the Highway 66 exhibit. It was the last week for Highway 66 and I will be sad I didn't spend more time looking at the displays. One of the highlights had to be the Highway 66 maps from AAA showing some of kitschy places on the road including Cadillac Ranch in Texas and Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, Arizona. They all sound like fun.
    Nice museum, and free! The Civil Rights exhibit was my favorite. I learned things I didn't know and helped connect a lot of events in my mind. The World's Fair exhibit was interesting as well. My 12-year-old daughter didn't love it, but she didn't complain too much. She likes the interactive aspect of some of the exhibits.
    Loved the Route 66 exhibit and the World's Fair exhibit. Well worth the time. Free parking and a free museum. Get there early as parking does fill up fast!

Similar places people viewed in Saint Louis