Photo of The Camellia Grill in New Orleans, LA, US

American Restaurant

The Camellia Grill44.5
late night • burger • fries • pecan pie

626 S Carrollton Ave
New Orleans, LA 70118, US

The Camellia Grill has 24 Tips

In a notable food city with few actual diner-style restaurants, The Camellia Grill is the one to beat. Whether you want a chili-cheese omelette or a flat top griddled breakfast cheeseburger, it’s all served with a smile.
    A New Orleans classic diner with an old school feel. Don't be afraid to have a conversation with the workers. They love it! They are open late and get slammed in the mornings on weekends. Pictured is the Catfish Dinner Plate
    My husband and I always go here for date night
    Go for the show, not the food
    4th Generation to enjoy this great grill! I took my grandchildren like my father took me!! Omelets, chicken salad, best hamburgers in the city, pecan pie and chocolate freeze!! Thanks for the wonderful food and memories!! Margo Dalrymple
    Extremely rude service. The waiter Dennis provide service to a select few clients. Would never return or recommend.
    This place had a line out the door and it's no wonder why. It's neat how the seating is a huge bar with the waiter behind it. Food was pretty good but it's mainly fun for the charm and atmosphere.
    This is one of those places that has been open since forever. It doesn't have much seating, but if you time your visit right then it won't matter. The atmosphere is perfect if you're into that home cooking type feel. All the cooks were really great to talk to and helpful with recommendations. Of course the food was delicious, and plentiful. Prices were reasonable, and I love having to walk through the kitchen to get to the restroom.
    Expect a bit of a line for this 30-seat (counter stool) establishment! Though they were pretty efficient in getting us in. You will be greeted at the counter by the warm, jovial and friendly voice of Leon or one of his colleagues. This is a boisterous place with straight-forward on-the-grill food - not fancy; but good; and a pretty deep menu. Not the best for quiet, serious conversation but a great shot-in-the-arm lunch!
    This diner is New Orleans classic in Garden District. Limited seating, so we were lucky be seated immediately (10am on Thursday). Very family friendly too. Any omelet will satisfy your hunger, we all had vegetable -- delicious. The bacon on the side was good as well. Loved our breakfasts!
    Started in 1946 I believe and it is has stood the test of time. Every seat is counter top seating and the food is great. Make sure you order breakfast when you are there!
    My wife raves about how amazing Camellia Grill is, so I let her take me there for breakfast on our vacation. And let me tell you, she was absolutely right! The breakfast was delicious, cooked right in front of you by a friendly and attentive staff who made the restaurant experience even better than it was. Great food, great service, and well worth it!
    The food was decent, average diner fare. The pie was better than average, even though they through it on the grill and doused it in "buttery" liquid and made it much more yummy and 5x more unhealthy. We had breakfast for dinner and had two deserts. Our average price per diner was about 17.00 plus a generous (well deserved) tip. Service was great. Friendly, and anticipated our every whim. A NOLA tradition that I am glad to see is being adhered to.
    Haven't been here since Katrina but Oh, so glad the friendliness and food is still great. The line goes fast and the delicious cafe fare was delivered as remembered. Best milkshakes in New Orleans and judges chicken excellent!
    Had breakfast before returning home. Nice selection of breakfast items. Loved the Rano omelet. Michael was a wonderful waiter. Took me back to diner in my hometown.
    Extremely rude service. Did not feel welcome at all. Not the type of place you want to spend with your family. Food was cold and inedible. Definitely not worth the wait. Pass on this place!
    I ordered a cheese burger and fries. It was amazing and tasted like a perfect homemade burger. Would recommend anyone to go there and enjoy a classic of NOLA.
    What really stand out at the Camellia Grill is the experience and the staff. The menu is varied and it is served in a classic diner style. I would say try it at least once for the historical significance. A good place to try after a day and/or night of heavy alcohol consumption.
    There might be nothing finer that walking New Orleans - in almost any season - in the early morning and there is no finer walk than following the streetcar line from Canal to Carrollton. Once you have done that, treat yourself to pecan waffles at Camellia Grill. Some people think it's become too touristy but who cares? My husband is a New Orleans native who hasn't lived there for 35 years and he almost always runs into someone he knows! For 30 minutes, you get all the entertainment you need from the guys behind the counter. When you're finished, ride the streetcar back! Laissez les bon temps rouler, mes amis!
    We had a great time here, the food was excellent and so was the service!! I would highly recommend this place. It is a small dinner with lots of history. My son and I had great time and enjoy the food. Try the pecan pancakes!!
    Early, late or in-between, this is a great restaurant to please every taste. This time, it was the cheeseburger and fries that I was craving.
    It was very good. We went for an early dinner by way of trolly from Canal St. We had the red beans and rice with chicken patty, jambalaya, and french fries. All very good. Our waiter was so friendly. He recommended we get off the trolly at Washington and walk to magazine st. What a beautiful walk. Glad we did that. If we were to do it over, we would go for breakfast. It just didn't work in our quick trip. They only have counter seating so be aware of that.
    We had breakfast here. When it says grill it means grill. Seating for about 24 people at counter, no tables. Two grills cooking with an ample number of waiters. You get your meal fast but that's about it. Lots of butter and grease on everything. Omelettes are blah, basic eggs okay but floating in grease. Pecan pancakes were good, lots of pecans but not fluffy. I think maybe Waffle House would be a better choice.
    Came here for late lunch out of nostalgia. This was a favorite late-night supper after work for me many years ago. Had not been back for 12 years and was disappointed. Food was definitely barely average based on my previous experiences. We had a hamburger and a Reuben sandwich. Waiter was hospitable. Manager/cashier not so.

Similar places people viewed in New Orleans