La Petite Grocery

American Restaurant

La Petite Grocery44.5
brunch • blue crab beignets • rabbit • bolognese

La Petite Grocery has 24 Tips

This James Beard Award-winning restaurant serves up elegant French and New Orleans style dishes with a twist. Their savory seafood take on the classic sweet beignet is something you absolutely won’t want to miss.
    Nominated for Best Chef of the South (Justin Devillier) by James Beard Foundation 2016
    Chef Wyatt's desserts are informed by her Southern heritage and her adoration of all things seasonal. The seamless balance of sweet and savory can be found in her grilled vanilla bean panna cotta with satsuma sorbet and pistachio brittle and her grilled Alabama peach with mayhaw sauce harnesses the tart, fruity flavor of the berries that grow wild in the Louisiana swamps.
    great food. sat near jessica lange!
    Stopped here for lunch and so glad we did! The ricotta dumplings are not to me missed as an appetizer. I had the swordfish salad for my entree. The fish was cooked perfectly and the components of the salad were amazing. My wife had the burger and said if was one of the best she has ever had. We will certainly be back on our next trip to NOLA.
    We did enjoy ourselves at LPG, and it's clear that they are one of the better restaurants in the city. Service was prompt, efficient, and friendly, and the dishes we had were well executed. That said, we ate at 12 prominent dining establishments on our recent trip, and from our perspective LPG placed somewhere in the middle of the pack. Maybe because they were about to close for a week or so for renovations. Would we go back? Strong maybe.
    takes their food and presentation seriously---on top of your order---pride and results--would return
    I used to live in New Orleans. LPG was my favorite restaurant then -- which is saying a lot in the best city in the US for fine dining. Now whenever I pass through, it's the one I make a point of going to. The Uptown ambience, the lack of affectation, the always interesting selections, the level of service , the neighborhood feel, and above all the quality of the food -- just exceptional on every level.
    On a trip to NOLA we dined here on our last day and had an incredible experience. I've always wanted to visit France, and felt like I was transported there when I dined at La Petite Grocery. The blue crab beignets were to die for and a simple burger did not disappoint. Casual yet gorgeous ambience with a knowledgeable staff. No complaints, a must if you're visiting NOLA!
    Our server was Martha and she was such a delight. She answered all our questions and made sure our food was fixed to perfection. Our favorites were the summer squash salad and the pan seared tenderloin; they were awesome. The crab beignets were good but the aioli was lacking flavor. It's really loud, but very warm and inviting...and did we mention Martha.
    They were less than stelllar. As most New Orleanians know what a beignet is, these should be called crab fritters or balls.
    Stopped here for dinner with friends. Great atmosphere and food. Started with the crab beignets and the finished With the seafood stew. All was fantastic!!!
    The service was great. Magazine street is just totally charming. The food was very good, just not divine. All around a place I very much enjoyed and I would go there again no question.
    While walking along Magazine street my husband and I stumbled upon La Petite Grocery and ate there for lunch. The staff was so kind, and welcoming. The food was amazing, we shared their burger (best we have had in a long time) and the braised short rib appetizer (lovely flavor). I would recommend this to anyone and plan on going back.
    Hands down favorite restaurant in New Orleans—so good we went again the next night! The only thing not droolingly amazing is the bread—the bread is good; however, it’s happily not excellent so that you don’t fill up on it (the way you do at many of the other establishments because Nola bread is ridiculously good) and this is a relief so you can better experience the fine meal. Night one we had the delectable crab beignets, an unbelievably good green bean & broccoli salad that was a special that evening, and a lamb shank: all of which were excellent. The second night we had the ricotta dumplings, the green leaf salad from the main menu, and the paneed rabbit: again, all were excellent. We also had the butterscotch pudding on the second night—solid, yet unnecessary. The savory is where it’s at here. Plus the staff were playful and offered great direction for what to order. We cannot wait to go back!
    We made reservations for this restaurant after reading positive reviews. From the online pictures, it appeared casual and family friendly with menu items children could enjoy. Much to our chagrin, we were greeted by a less than friendly hostess who did not even break a courteous smile as she ushered us briskly to our reserved table. The vibe in the restaurant was not friendly at all, but rather had an air of an arrogance. Our waitress Sara was pleasant, however when our meals arrived delivered by other service staff, they were not placed down gracefully as you would expect from a restaurant of this purported caliber, but rather almost "dropped" hurriedly front of us. The food was delicious although the portions were markedly small for the price. I had the ricotta dumplings and roast chicken, my husband had a green salad and pork chop. We were told we could order a children's version of the hamburger plate that was on the menu. When we received the bill, we still paid the original menu price even though many items were omitted. The desserts were tasty but tiny and perched rather clumsily on top of a too-large plate. All in all, pretty disappointed we chose this restaurant for one of our only nights in NO. I would give it a miss until they take care of service kinks, improve the ambiance and review their menu pricing.
    We ate here on our arrival in NOLA. Our party had the pork chops, rabbit, and the turtle bolognese, as well as the blue crab beignets and dessert. The meal was very good - my sons raved about the pork.
    We had an outstanding dinner at La Petite Grocery. Service was excellent. Nice wine list. Very helpful staff and sommelier. Nice, but casual setting. I had the lamb special which was indeed "very special." My husband's fried rabbit was beyond belief. Loved the coconut cream tart that we split for dessert. However, one of THE BEST things I have ever put into my mouth were the blue crab beignets. They are lifetime bucket list worthy! I am still dreaming about them.
    We visited La Petite Grocery while vacationing in New Orleans. It had come recommended to us and did not disappoint. The blue crab beignets were a great starter. My hubby had the pork chop and I was craving the cheeseburger. Our waitress was friendly and helpful with suggestions. Hands down, the best cheeseburger I have ever eaten!! The butterscotch pudding was divine. The wanted carrot cake was a little dry but I opted out of the ice cream which might have helped. Such a relaxing dining experience, thank you!
    French cuisine; originally a grocery store and stable, now it’s a top 10 restaurant. Chef is a James Beard finalist. We had a delicious lunch of Turtle Bolognese and Shellfish Stew, with a short rib appetizer. Service was excellent and the atmosphere was sophisticated but comfortable. One of the nicest places we ate. Got there early for a weekday lunch and were seated in the main dining room without reservations, but the place was full by the time we left. Bar has ‘first available’ seating. Very popular.
    This James Beard award winning restaurant did not disappoint. We always seek a locals input when we are traveling to cities well known for food. Who has time to waste eating garbage food in a town like New Orleans? The two items we tried were the crab beignets and turtle bolognase- frankly two items I likely would not have ordered had they not come highly recommended. The crab beignet was a little perfectly fried golden nugget of blue crab salad inside. It came with a dipping sauce of aioli which was a nice compliment as well. There were 5 beignets and a perfect amount to share. The turtle bolognase was a delicious and meaty, perfectly seasoned red sauce on top of a perfectly al dente homemade tube pasta. We finished lunch with the chocolate ooey gooey cake with vanilla ice cream. Perfect lunch really! It's in the Garden district off Magazine and Napolean streets.
    Three business friends gathered here -- all well traveled and serious foodies. And all of us loved, loved, loved our meals -- from the fabulous blue crab beignets to the best shrimp and grits ever, seared scallops and the daily special lamb, we were all happy campers. And our server Sarah was a delight -- knowledgable and always there to make sure everything was to our likely. In a foodie city, I'd come here first every time.
    We stopped in for brunch without a reservation, within ten minutes, we had a table. Our server, Andrew was the bomb. He was knowledgable and very attentive. The food was incredible....so much so that we went ahead and made a dinner reservation for later in the week. I recommend the crab beignet appetizer, the short ribs and shrimp n grits OMG good!
    Great food! We had the Blue crab beignets... a really creative tasty appetizer. The turtle bolognese and cheeseburger were excellent! Will definitely go back again.

Similar places people viewed in New Orleans