Babylon Cafe

Middle Eastern Restaurant

hummus • lamb • baklava • shawarma

Babylon Cafe has 20 Tips

We eat at (or order take out) Babylon Cafe regularly and always enjoy their meals. The hummus, baba ganoush, and lamb chops are favorites of ours. Not fancy dining but delicious food!
    The food is good at this place. I eat here about once a month and it always is enjoyable. It's casual and accessible.
    I definitely enjoyed eating here. At first we were going to eat at Lebanon's but they weren't serving gyros only gyro plates so I'm glad we decided to come here. We were the only customers at the time but that was okay. The inside is beautiful murals and middle eastern paintings from local N.O. artists. The gyros do not cost a lot either. They are wrapped tight and full of flavor. The only downside is you have to buy your Greek feta salad and hummus and pita bread separate. They do however have wheat pita and wheat pita wraps for the gyro. This place was very good and I definitely would come back next time I'm in the area and I want some good Greek food.
    The portions were quite large and reasonable prices. We ordered the hummus for an app which was both creamy and delicious! I ordered the chicken swarma salad which was huge, I only finished half the salad. My husband ordered the combo salad which he said was very tasty. The chicken was seasoned well and was still moist. We will definitely try the lamb shanks next time we are in the area!
    We have been eating at this little neighborhood cafe on Maple Street in the Riverbend for about 20 years. We come and go from NOLA but the Babylon is always here. It's a good place to go for a delicious, casual meal. Sidewalk seating.
    It's no secret that I love Mediterranean food and I am slowly trying every Mediterranean restaurant in the New Orleans area. I stopped into Babylon Cafe for dinner and it was a fairly slow night. This is a "no frills" type of place, hence the "cafe" title, but I like the murals on the wall and the staff is friendly. I got an order of the beef shawarma which came with a side salad and yellow jasmine rice. I got hummus on the side, because it doesn't come with the dish. The dish was a bit expensive at $17, but the serving was huge- easily enough food for two people to share and I had a ton of leftovers. The shawarma was tender, well spiced and delicious. The salad was perfect and fresh. And then there was the rice- what was in this rice?? This rice might be the best yellow jasmine rice I have ever had. I'm usually not a big fan of rice in dishes like this, because I find it a bit dry, but I couldn't get enough of it here. I was disappointed in the hummus- for some reason it just lacked flavor to me. I usually like to spread the hummus on my meat (am I the only one?) and I didn't do that here because I almost felt as if it would have taken away from the flavor of the meat. I was also disappointed that it cost $2 or $3 for a side of hummus when I felt it really should have been included with the meal, especially considering the meal was $17. Service was fantastic and the waitress was great about refilling drinks and checking on us regularly. I would return, but Babylon wouldn't be my first stop for Mediterranean.
    Babylon Cafe is a small restaurant on Maple Street where locals go for great Mediterranean food. The Falafel is outstanding they have beer and wine available. The salads are large, the chicken tikka is fantastic moist and flavorful. The salmon was great and cooked perfectly.
    Great food but very slow, unhelpful staff. Be prepared for loads of flies if you choose to sit outside! The rose tea is wonderfully refreshing and amount of food is HUGE!
    This place is a real gem. Best Mediterranean food I have had in Nola. All from scratch. They even roast the beans for the Turkish coffee. Lamb was awesome!!
    We have been eating at Babylon Café for years, both lunch and dinner. Throughout that time, our food has been consistently delicious. Whether it be appetizer plates, sandwiches, salad, lentil soup or any of the vast array of entrees, baklava, tea, or any combination, you can count on wonderful portions, very fresh tasting food, and a surprisingly low bill. My only suggestion, is that the wait staff could be a bit more alert to what the diners need (lack of a fork, empty tea glass, empty bread basket, left-overs that could be boxed up, etc.). The wait staff is consistently pleasant and helpful, but they might be a bit more alert so that customers don't have to routinely ask for things. Otherwise, this is a wonderful place to have a delicious and casual meal.
    During our recent visit to the area we wanted something other than creole or cajun food. We were very pleased that we chose Babylon Cafe for our dinner one evening. The Middle-Eastern food was authentic, delicious, and reasonably priced. Service was good and the interior is decorated with beautiful wall murals. We observed many people coming in for take-out also. We would definitely return to this restaurant on another visit to the area.
    Excellent food excellent service reasonable prices nice portions of food ! I would go there over and over !
    We were out biking in the area and stopped in for lunch. Enjoyed the Babylon appetizer plate, great home made bread and the eggplant appetizer (baba-something-not sure how to spell it) was wonderful and easily enough for four. Good service and serving sizes - we took home leftovers for lunch the next day and also some baklava, which was delicious! A lot of vegetarian choices also.
    I know the food here is wonderful as I've been coming here for 4 years. Today attention to customers a little (LOT) slacking... Artichoke and spinach dip with fingers and now a delicious looking salad wilting before our eyes! I had tuna steak- requested 'well done', it was rare. Dee had salmon, requested 'cook through' it wasn't. Disappointed this visit!
    Early Sunday evening dining. Quiet restaurant with white tablecloths. Mixture of locals and tourists. The wait staff knew the regulars and seemed to take pride especially in anticipating their wants. We ordered stuffed grape leaves appetizer, served with yogurt and was delicious (anything with an asterisk on the menu that tells you it comes from a family recipe, you just have to try). Then ordered the Vegetarian Plate and Shish Kufta. The pacing of service between the appetizer and main plates didn't allow for enough time to savor the former on its own, but the food was delicious, the portions very generous (we boxed half of what we ordered to enjoy later). I would recommend this friendly restaurant on Maple Street to anyone who appreciates good Middle Eastern food.
    With 3 middle eastern restaurants in the area (Mona's and Lebanon( i haven't been to Lebanon yet) it is hard to distinguish between them. Both are delicious, however i love Babylon because the service is usually friendly and attentive. And the food consistent and delicious. And they have a laundromat so you can do laundry while waiting, it is a practical casual meal out so if that is what you want which a lot of folk do considering it is a college area, this place rocks.
    Since it changed hands a few years ago, the restaurant has maintained the high quality of its superbly dishes. Everything is freshly prepared; the hummus is the best I have ever had ANYWHERE; fresh homemade bread and great prices. A neighborhood restaurant that has consistently offered excellent, healthy food for now 13 years.
    This place is great for vegetarian looking for an inexpensive and delicious meal. I recently ate here with two other vegetarians and we had a feast! The food was wonderful! We shared a bunch of things including a combination plate, falafel, spanikopita and spinach and artichoke dip. We even had dessert and the total was only $35! A great deal and maybe the best meal we had on our vacation.
    I love this restaurant. Vegetarian plate. Hummus to die for! Homemade bread is very good. So yummy. And it's located on such a fun street for a stroll.
    We had a wonderful meal at Babylon Cafe recently. It was the first time there for my husband and I. The Babylon Platter was a great sampler of several different items and all were delicious. We had enough left over to have a nice lunch at home the next day. The service was excellent and the prices reasonable.

Similar places people viewed in New Orleans