Photo of Orpheum Theater in New Orleans, LA, US, LA, US

Music Venue

Orpheum Theater14
balcony seats • great sound • nola jazz • acoustics

125--129 University Pl
New Orleans, LA, US, LA 70112, US

Orpheum Theater has 16 Tips

The 1,500-seat auditorium, which had been closed since Hurricane Katrina, reopened in April after a $13 million renovation. The 1918 building designed by architect Gustave Albert Lansburgh was restored by hand to reflect its original color palette and dazzling plasterwork with renovations by local architecture firm Eskew+Dumez+Ripple. The Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra now calls the space home.
    We were here for a private concert- what a beautiful theatre. We saw the Doobie Brothers, the venue had great sound, comfy seating, and we had a great view of the stage. Really fun time, great place for a concert.
    The Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra was amazing as they performed the Best of Broadway. They performed not just the often heard standards, but also a selection of songs that were most amazing and seldom heard. They are a true pleasure to watch. The 7 and 11 year old with us were fascinated and entertained. We all came away singing!
    Interesting drama in a beautiful location. Sound is loud. Bathrooms are clean, no lines at the bar. Comfortable seats. Easy parking.
    Es un teatro precioso y n su estilo y decoración. Una muy buena acústica y con la fortuna de escuchar a la Filarmónica de New Orleans dirigida por un Poblano, Carlos Miguel Prieto. Muy bello espectáculo. Salí encantado.
    I found that for a louder concert like Wilco, the theatre had too much natural reverb and with so much sonic volume, it made the sound unfocused and muddy. Wilco actually performed an acoustic set towards the end of their "full volume" show and it was infinitely better. I would not recommend this venue for louder concerts experiences.
    We really enjoyed the show from the floor since the rake meant that the view was better than a flat-floored theater. Sound was loud and clear. Great that it's been refurbished to previous grandeur.
    Here at the Orpheum Theatre with 400 international and national journalists in town to cover IPW, or International Pow Wow. IPW.com The theatre is recently reopened after being flooded and nearly destroyed Hurricane Rita. Closed for years it has been lovingly and meticulously restored. Acoustics are wonderful - gorgeous venue. A must see - no matter what is headlined!
    This is one gorgeously renovated theater, and every seat in the house provides an excellent view of the stage. Everything about the theater is beautiful--the marble, the floors, the ornate ceiling--and all of it drips luxurious first-class except the seats themselves. Ugh! I'm only 6' tall, but I simply could not sit in my balcony seat with my knees in front of me without a crazy amount of man-spread. There wasn't room! Luckily one of the four members of our party couldn't make it, so I was able to sit slightly cross-ways. As I sat there I tried to figure out how it had come to be. I can only guess that the padding in the seats is the difference. Take out the three inches of seat cushion in the back of the seats, and I might have been able to fit. It's a shame.
    My family went here to see the Meters Reunion Concert to open the NOLA Jazz Festival. The restoration of this venue is amazing. We had balcony seats with a great view. The acoustics are very good. All in all it was a wonderful time. Coveniently located to the French Quarter.
    They have done a really nice job of restoring the theater. However, they need a qualified sound engineer. Went to see the Meters, a band I really enjoy...but it was so loud that it was an extremely unpleasant experience. I agree with the person who complained about the constricted seating in the upstairs gallery. They were also very disorganized and untimely, The theatre admitted people to the lobby where we had to wait for nearly an hour while they completed a sound check. Predictably me the drinks are overpriced. They need to get their act together.
    Saw Melissa Etheridge here and it was great. Small enough to be close but big enough to have perfect sound. Plenty of room and great seats everywhere. Bards were good and tenders were quick. I recommend it.
    First time hearing the Louisiana Philharmonic at the newly renovated Orpheum was a sublime musical experience. Conductor Prieto was masterful directing Carnival selections from around the world. Theater interior, restored to its original art deco luster and with enhanced modern acoustics made for a most memorable evening. NOLA jazz is great but classical music lovers shouldn't miss the LPO whenever in town.
    Went to see the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, seated in the third row of the balcony. Was unable to sit straight in my seat because the rows are so closely spaced. I have not seen such a ridiculous allocation of space anywhere in my travels through the U.S., Western Europe or Asia. It was a tortuous experience to sit there for two hours. I will simply never attend another performance in that venue. Avoid this place if you are 6' or taller. Really beautiful restoration of the space though.
    The extensive restoration is fabulous-transports you to the 1920's yet the added functionality only heightens your comfort and entertainment experience. Extraordinary acoustics, great service and elegant, historic venue. Covered and surface parking readily available. Roosevelt Hotel directly across the street. I can't wait to return.
    Good acoustics, good bar service, short bathroom lines. My first visit since the renovations. Went to see the 610 Stompers and the LPO.

Similar places people viewed in New Orleans, LA, US