Photo of Down One Bourbon Bar & Restaurant in Louisville, KY, US
Photo of Down One Bourbon Bar & Restaurant in Louisville, KY, US

Down One Bourbon Bar & Restaurant

American Restaurant

pork belly • sandwich • brussel sprouts • shrimp and grits

Down One Bourbon Bar & Restaurant has 20 Tips

19 days ago
    This is a really neat bar to go to. It's a little bit classier but we went the night of a concert and the majority of people were dressed down. They have neat drink options. I had the 7 heavens and they put the glass over burning wood at first to give it a smoked taste. I definitely recommend going out of your comfort zone and getting a special drink.
    24 days ago
    There is an interesting menu — mainly burgers, sandwiches, and salads — but nothing really special in terns of unique taste or presentation. I think the real attraction must be the bourbon list. Friendly wait staff and good atmosphere.
    a month ago
    Dry fried chicken, cold food, and super slow service. Waitress had no help. Salmon was good but not worth the price.
    a month ago
    Man oh man, this used to be our designated happy hour/early dinner spot after work. The outdoor dining area is so pretty and so nice in summer. However, the last 3 times we've gone, we've gotten stuck with this one particular server, the guy honestly could care less about his job...and service has been so slow and inaccurate and the food has been hit or miss. The final straw was when the manager came by to ask us how the kimchi wings were (normally our favorite) but they were weird that day, tasted like just soy sauce and were not good at all. We told him we thought maybe he should check the sauce as it seemed it was a bad batch and he said he had mixed it himself and walked off, like he was offended. I mean, he asked! Sadly we've moved on.
    Long flight and needed a break when we happened to walk by this hole in the ground. Hidden from the sun and down one level from the street as the name suggests. We grabbed a spot at the bar and looked over the selections. As we were a bit overwhelmed with the huge menu kind bartender suggested for us a drink. Great stuff. We shared the triple pork sandwich. Delicious. Later when we walked past this place they had live music and the place appeared lively and happening. Worth a look.
    Friendly bartender who was very knowledgable about the bourbon flights she served. Friendly atmosphere. Great location.
    Stopped in on our Urban Bourbon Trail. Great bar located at the Galt House. Reasonably priced drinks and great staff.
    Loved this little gem. You could walk right past it if you are not careful as it truly "Down One" (as in a flight of stairs). I went there for lunch but would love to return sometime for Happy Hour or at night! I sat outside in a delightful little courtyard and it was great for people watching. I ordered the Angus Burger and Sweet Potato fries and both were fantastic. A great value for the portion size! I didn't order a cocktail but the cocktail menu was extensive and looked great! Not giving 5 stars only because their was one waitress and wait times were longer than usual. Definitely think they needed to add a staff member on a Friday during lunch. Other than that, delicious and two thumbs up!
    A $25 voucher for Down One was part if the Galt House's Bourbon Package, so we decided to check it out. The selection of bourbon is unbelievable. They run from the $8-&10 range up to $100+. Their signature cocktails are in the $12-$15 range. The food is generally $15+ with a few exceptions. I don't normally start a review with price, but I thought it would be helpful as I don't believe the website had any prices. The hummus we got as an appetizer was fantastic, some of the best we've had. Served with carrots, celery and fresh pita, it was light and tangy, with a hint of lemon. My wife ordered the fried bourbon chicken. It was one giant breast with a sweet, fairly light coating. Juicy and good, but not outstanding. It came with collard greens that were strongly flavored with ham hocks. My three little pigs sandwich was very good with pulled pork, bacon and pork belly. It was the right amount of fatty and crispy with a nice smokey flavor. The cole slaw on it made for the perfect bite. The fries went uneaten as they were cold, not crispy and dusted with too much of what I assume was parmesan. My wife's Kentucky mule with Bulleit was perfect. The sharp ginger and lime was the perfect balance to the sweet bourbon. It was a nice-sized drink served in a small silver tumbler. My old fashioned was marginal at best. It was VERY small (under 2 oz. I'm sure) in a copper mug with ice piled well past the top. There was so much ice the drink was inaccessible and completely watered down by the time I could get to it. Overall, the place was good and the atmosphere, open to a nice patio was nice. But I'm not sure it's a must-go destination.
    Had just arrived in Louisville and decided to grab a quick, lite dinner and ran across this restaurant. My wife and I ordered the same thing which was a pork sandwich and fries. Should have known that things were going to head south when the waitress ask what kind of salad dressing I wanted. We had water and a drink which arrived quickly, the only prompt service. After a long wait the waitress finally arrived with our order, one was correct the other order was wrong. How do you get two orders of the same thing wrong. By the time we got the correct order, my wife had almost finished hers. So much for dining together. Food was average, service was poor!
    Very nice, friendly bar with good food. The pork belly dish and three pig sandwich are highlights. Great selection of bourbon! Reasonable prices!
    One of the biggest Bourbon selections you will ever find under one roof, it's just hard to get a drink, or at least it was the night we were there. Waited 20min from the time we sat down to get our first and being in a hurry to get to Jeff Ruby's for dinner we could only afford time for one. It may have just been an off night, but the one drink we had was good.
    Got the private room for our group, the service was perfect. For the choices of BOURBON, was excellent!!! The Bourbon chicken one of the best.
    Hats off to Seth! Hands down this man knows his bourbon... Had so much fun and learned so much. Thanks pal
    Such an awesome experience! Seth, the bartender there is extremely knowledgeable!!! Such a good time. The drinks were amazing!!!! Seth really knows his Bourbon! The old fashions were the BEST! This is a must for Bourbon lovers!!! Thanks Seth....you were amazing!!
    We looked at the menu and thought it sounded great. However, once we ordered, the waitress came by to say they were out of the sides we ordered. Really? It is 4:30 and you are out of sweet potatoes already? Food was good, but the dinner really needed some starch...not just Brussels sprouts!
    We stopped by for an afternoon cocktail and late lunch. Good service and food. The restaurant is below street level, hence the name.
    Food was way over priced for what you got. $18 for a fried chicken breast. $12 for 5 shrimp cocktail!
    Def a good place to stop with an excellent selection of bourbon. Service was good - bartenders very helpful and knowledgeable. And the restaurant itself is fairly nice. We didn't get any food, but the menu looked pretty good - would definitely go back, and would like to have a meal there as well
    The restaurant was moderately busy, I noticed there were no customers at the bar. We were seated at a table and there were little gnats swarming us everywhere. That should have been my sign to leave but I had noticed they had a 98 food rating so thought this was going to be OK. I was wrong. The service was good but that is the only positive thing I can say. The food was almost inedible. I think the cook probably prepared it in a microwave. We hurried up and ate a tiny bit of our food to avoid the swarming gnats. There are better options in the area, we won't go back.

Similar places people viewed in Louisville

• Four Pegs