Upload Business Photo

Bullhead Cantina14.5
tilapia • grits • taco • margarita

1143 N California Ave
Chicago, IL 60622, US

Bullhead Cantina has 7 Tips

No bullshit, okay some
    They serve a unique variety of tacos. All of the ones my party ordered were fantastic. Andre provided excellent service and made a mean margarita. highly recommend the chips and salsa.
    Ended up at this place on a Tuesday when they had a special. The grits and kale taco was the surprise favorite, though the tilapia was also good. Nice neighborhood bar.
    Went to Bullhead this weekend with friends who go there frequently. We had the salsa, guac and chips to start. The salsa and guac were really good. You get a good amount for the money too. Guac is tasty without being too spicy. For entrees, I had the Beer Grilled Chicken and the Hanger Steak tacos. Both were good but didn't blow me away. They had some interesting flavors in them and were made with quality ingredients. My wife, a vegetarian, was happy to discover many taco choices for her to choose from. She had the sweet potato taco and the Grits & Kale taco. He expected the sweet potato taco to be her fave but the Grits & Kale did it for her. Service was really good. They kept the drinks and water flowing and the dirty plates out of the way. Can't ask for much more than that. The atmosphere is like a nice bar, but not too gritty, and good spacing between the tables and bar area. There's room to move around, unlike some other places. The price was affordable as well, which matched the quality level of the food. Overall, we'd go back if we were in the mood for some quick lunch or a place to hangout with friends in a laid back atmosphere. OK, I've said atmosphere 3x in this review so it must end.
    Superb, no-nonsense taco place with excellent low-price Margaritas and uncomplicated great value tacos starting at $3. The Tilapia taco was a standout bargain at $3! Great guacamole, salsa and chips. My friends Smoked Margarita was a thing of beauty. Service was friendly and unfussy. Recommended.
    Our daughter recently moved into the neighborhood so we dropped in not knowing what to expect. Small menu, mostly tacos, but they were made to order and delicious. Large "old fashioned" bar and lots of space. Wait staff was friendly and attentive. We will return.
    This spacious bar-restaurant is walking distance from my apartment and I discovered it one late morning while I was at the farmers market. My roommate and I went in for brunch (they have a separate brunch menu) and have been going back on a regular basis ever since. The staff is great, the bar stocks a cool selection of whiskeys, and the food is unreal. The exact words from my roommate were, "I never want to eat tacos any where else again." There really are tacos here for everyone: vegetarian, vegan, beef, chicken, pork, dairy-free, gluten-free, health-conscious....they have it all. And everything comes on their gorgeous homemade corn tortillas. My favorites are the roasted beet, the grits and kale (yes, really), and the pulled pork. The staff have always been wonderful and we've run into the owner many times. They're known for their No Bullsh!t Special: $6 for a shot of well whiskey, a tallboy, and your choice of one of their gourmet tacos. I know there are some other Chicago taco places that get more buzz, but none live up to this one for me. Cash only!! They have an ATM, but think ahead and avoid the $1.99 fee.

Similar places people viewed in Chicago

Browse Mexican Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods