Photo of Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha in Honolulu, HI, US

Hawaiian Restaurant

Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha25
ice cream • lilikoi • mango • li hing

820 W Hind Dr Ste 116
Honolulu, HI 96821, US

Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha has 22 Tips

This used to be dry goods store when I was a kid. They have some good syrup flavors. Be prepared - it takes a little time to get in and out of here. If you run into Uncle Clay (real person), and he engages you in conversation, it may take a little longer to get out
    My favorite shave ice !!!
    2 Likes
    We were on our way back from sight seeing with our friends who have never had shave ice and of course they had to try it! It was interesting how they sandwiched the ice cream with the shave ice. We had never had it this way and it was very tasty. I was disappointed they did not have macadamia nut ice cream but the vanilla was very good and creamy. This was not my favorite place however, only reason I gave it 4 stars.
    Clean friendly service. Shave ice was good. Nice place to cool off after a day body surfing at Sandy beah or snorkeling at Hanauma Bay.
    Fresh, delicious, and worth the price! You will feel their aloha with their service and products. There is a reason everyone loves Uncke Clays. Kiddies will always want to come back too!
    I know Matsumoto is famous but Uncle Clay is my favorite on the island. They use real fruits in their syrup and it showed in the taste. Nothing better after a long hike than icy fruity goodness. Their ice cream is top notch also
    I'm not sure why this place is the number one rated but it did lead me out to one side of the island I wouldn't have otherwise seen. Parking is easy enough, and the store is really easy to navigate. It would be nice if they had more fresh fruits or if they made fruit purees instead of syrup. It was my first time having shaved ice and it didn't disappoint 👍🏼 however if you're not doing much on that side of the island I wouldn't bother venturing out.
    This place is a little bit out of the way but is in a mall so there was lots of parking. I'd read that Uncle Clay's shave ice was fantastic, but was still surprised by how nice it was! Service was quick even though there was only one guy working, but he was really friendly. There are about 20 flavours and toppings to choose from and while other shops have more options, they don't have this incredible taste! The syrups actually tasted fruity and were a little sweet but not to the ppoint of being sickly. The real fruit toppings were a nice option, as they really complemented the natural flavours of the syrups. Even though we came on a cold day, we still ate the whole thing, and the value and portions were really good.
    Uncle Clay's!! We love it!! They use fresh fruit to make their syrups and you can definitely tell. I really make a world of difference in the taste. I've been there prior to this trip and it was even better the 2nd time around. I always get liliko'i and guava with ice cream and dream sauce. So, so good. I can't wait to get more!! Mahalo Uncle Clay!!
    nothing bad, but nothing special. I have been to visit many times on the way to Hanauma, coco head, Makapuu etc.. it is very refreshing but I won't go driving only for this.
    We stopped at Uncle Clays in early Feb. 2017. Shave ice is good with nice helping of very good vanilla bean ice cream. Good flavors. Ice was a bit "course" and the shave ice was made in an unusual but fine way using bowls. We have had better shave ice in the islands but Uncle Clays is very good. Recommended - we will return.
    We love this shave ice because it is AFFORDABLE, DELICIOUS and EASY. I mean when all of that goes into getting some shave ice...it becomes hard to resist! I personally love the strawberries and cream one, regular size is perfect to split for a couple. But also indulgent by yourself!
    Uncle Clay makes sure to remember his customers! Try it, go once then come back and he'll know who you are! Well, that's if you've conversed with him. But he's wonderful :)
    The shave ice has a great fluffy texture and they have real fruit toppings and syrups. They have allergy friendly options that don't make you feel left out! Awesome.
    Shaved ice is one of those things you either love or just think is ok. As far as shaved ice goes, Uncle Clay's has some pretty good stuff. But what makes this place great and really earns it the "House of Pure Aloha" name is Uncle Clay himself. That's right, he's a real person. And if you're lucky enough to go there when he's around, don't hesitate to say hi and shake his hand. Maybe even ask for a hug, because he'll happily oblige. He's exceedingly pleasant and positive and will regale you with fun stories. And nothing makes shaved ice better than a good story from a friendly guy.
    Love that there are natural flavors and that the service is friendly! Highly recommend when you're on East side!
    If you are in Honolulu you must go here! Aina Haina out east on your way to Hanauma Bay, same little Shopping Center as the McDonalds. Friendly wonderful service & the BEST shave Ice ever!
    Nice little shop. Good customer service. I got shave ice with strawberry flavor and azulejo bean. Next time I will get less syrup. The ice was shaved very fine. It was yummy but very sweet!
    Best shave ice on the island❄ local ingredients, not overly sweet. Will be back to try other flavors.
    Really this is the best shave ice we have ever had. The fruit is fresh and the ice cream and ice are fabulous. Don't get me wrong - Matsumoto or other great places in other Hawaiian islands are good but you must come here if you want the best - strawberry delight for me please!!
    After reading all the reviews I was super excited to try Uncle Clay's and I have to say I was disappointed. Uncle Clay's is located in a strip mall so there was lots of parking. There's not a lot of seats inside but it wasn't busy when we went (we were actually the only customers) so we found a place to sit easily enough. We got the Classic Rainbow and Pina Colada. I liked the Classic Rainbow and thought the ice cream was really good actually. I did not like the Pina Colada though, I think it was the coconut flakes that threw me off. I also found Uncle Clay's ice to be very icy and not fluffy like other shave ice places that I like. I personally wouldn't make a drive out but if I was passing by I would stop in just to try it again as I seem to be the minority who didn't think it was great.
    To be perfectly honest, I'm not a shaved ice type of person. However, this place was rated so highly that I had to try it out. The atmosphere was great and the owner of the place was there greeting everyone which was a nice bonus. The shaved ice here is better than most other places because it actually has ice cream in it. Nevertheless, I'm still not a shaved ice person. So, if you're not a huge fan of shaved ice, I wouldn't recommend you stopping here. If you like shaved ice, this might be a spot for you to visit.

Similar places people viewed in Honolulu

Browse Hawaiian Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods