Photo of Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha in Honolulu, HI, US

Hawaiian Restaurant

Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha25
ice cream • lilikoi • mango • li hing

820 W Hind Dr Ste 116
Honolulu, HI 96821, US

Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha has 22 Tips

This used to be dry goods store when I was a kid. They have some good syrup flavors. Be prepared - it takes a little time to get in and out of here. If you run into Uncle Clay (real person), and he engages you in conversation, it may take a little longer to get out
    My favorite shave ice !!!
    2 Likes
    We added this place to our list of places to visit again because we loved it so much 2 years ago. This time the shaved ice was just as good but we didn't get to see Uncle Clay which was a shame. I'd definitely add this to your list if you have a car - it's different to Matsumotos - in service, taste and experience (both fantastic just different!). The shaved ice is a large portion
    This is one of the best shave ice I've had. The all natural ingredients and biodegradable utensils help to make this a guilt free treat. The fruit juices used are not as sweet as the syrup normally used. Which to me, is a better thing. I had the strawberry dream. I usually don't like ice cream with mine, but this vanilla is a great match with the strawberry. Staff is really friendly and nice.
    This was one of my 2 favorite of the 7 or so shaved ices we tried on the island. They use all natural ingredients to make their syrups/sauces. I had the mango and the coconut and loved the mango most. They also have a really good icecream that they put on it if requested (tahini vanilla I think) with real vanilla bean specks in it. I wish they put a bit more of the ice cream and it would have been to die for.
    We stopped here for some shaved ice after snorkeling. It was very good and they use natural flavours. I also liked their fresh fruit topping options which I did not see at the other places we tried during our trip.
    What can I say, the first thing you do when you go into Uncle Clay's place is to look for Uncle Clay. You can't miss him...he is the one with the biggest smile and will take the time to sincerely talk to you. For the kamainas, he will remember you and your family. Don't know how he does it but he does. And the food, well let's just say that it is worth the stop to chat with Uncle Clay and taste some onolicious food!
    After working in the hot sun for several hours, the shaved ice here was delicious and refreshing, and has to rank among the best in Hawaii. I do recommend Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha, whenever you are hot and thirsty near the Aina Haina side.
    Uncle Clay has the best shave ice in the most original combinations possible. He always serves it with his best aloha which exudes to his patrons. It is always a pleasure to visit.
    The service was very friendly. It made me feel welcome. I had the strawberry and it tasted great and made with fresh strawberries. I had mine with condensed milk. I would definitely return.
    My husband and I stopped here after a day at the beach and it was amazing he got the classic rainbow and I got the chocolate, both were great. We got tiny size and it was the perfect portion. Would recommend this to anyone traveling on the Hawaii Kai area.
    While in Honolulu, I googled best restaurants near me and best restaurants near Hanauma Bay. Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha was on top each time. I had heard of Hawaii's fascination with shaved ice, so I figured I would give it a try. It was well worth the trip. The store itself is located in a strip mall and you have to be careful or you'll miss it, but once you arrive, you can see that it has more customers than any other store. Lucky for us, Uncle Clay was actually there greeting customers. Our family tried a variety of shaved ice and they were all good. Uncle Clay has all the usual flavors, but he also has a unique variety of Hawaiian flavors. This isn't the greatest dessert I ever had, but I would recommend it for anyone who is curious about the shaved ice phenomenon. Uncle Clay and his team are super helpful and care about the customer.
    Regardless of where you're staying, make the trip to visit Uncle Clay's. The classic rainbow and tropical delight are my two favorites, but you really can't go wrong!
    Shave ice reasonable priced, very refreshing, good tasting. What makes this place standout is the friendliest of the owner. He makes every effort to greet and share his aloha with each and every visitor.
    All natural fruit made syrups, less flavor options but much healthier and no high fructose corn syrup. Great atmosphere and very friendly staff. Uncle Clay loves to talk story with everyone.
    This is the best place on the island for shaved ice! We came here three times on our 7 day vacation! This is an absolute must stop in Hawaii. I love the coconut flavor and it's perfect by itself. My nephew would get the strawberry with ice cream. Everything I've tried is simply excellent. There are many toppings available and you can go crazy with them. I really think that the shaved ice alone is good. Parking can be a bit of a problem but just drive around a couple of times and you will find a spot. The staff is super friendly. They remembered us every time we went back. Seriously this place is worth the visit even if you don't like sweets.
    I did a lot of research before going on my trip to Hawaii and there is a reason why this place is rated so highly on all the review sites. We ended up going on our last day and drove 20min out of the way to try it and let me tell you, it did not disappoint. First of all, the SHAVE ICE IS AMAZING. You can really taste the quality in their syrups. Not only do they coat the top with the syrup but they also coat the bottom half so that every spoonful is flavorful to the max! I got the classic rainbow and my boyfriend got the tropical delight. I even decided to splurge and got the homemade mochi as an extra. The first bite was literally life changing. The mango with the pineapple, strawberry, and vanilla ice cream worked so well together creating a beautiful masterpiece for the taste buds (I know it sounds corny, but it is so true). And the homemade mochi was the icing on the cake. They even add a heart shaped mochi on top to make your Instagram picture even cuter. But the best thing that happened during our visit was that we met the man himself, UNCLE CLAY! The second I saw him outside the restaurant, I knew exactly who he was (from all the pictures online) I actually yelled UNCLEEEEE CLAYY!! He turned around and had the biggest smile on his face. I obviously had to ask if we could take a picture with him and he was very happy to do so. You could feel the positive vibes just beaming from his core. He welcomed us in and was so happy to hear that social media and review sites brought us to his restaurant (he mentioned these sites really helped his business). After we finished, we ended up talking with him for a couple of minutes. Not so much about the amazing shave ice we just had, but about life. As a young couple, my boyfriend and I really appreciate when older people tell us about their life stories. We love hearing about their experiences and welcome any kind of relationship advice with open arms. So if you are on your way to the Hanauma Bay area, you DEFINITELY need to check this place out. Reasonable prices, high quality flavors, and great service. Uncle Clay makes you feel like family. From your Toronto Ohana - A hui hou
    although im a huge fan of traditional shave ice, this totally caught me by surprise. the natural local fruit syrups are the best. and matched with a unique vanilla ice cream, it is one of the best things ive ever had.
    Best concocted fresh and frozen deserts! Really hits the spot on warm n hot Hawaiian days in newly renovated shop.
    Shave ice is always nice on a hot day. A couple flavors of it is good to have. Some toppings make for something great. This place has all 3 to make for an awesome stop or break in the day. Quality flavors and toppings make for an epic experience that makes you want to come back for more. All that on top of the impeccable hospitality shown by Uncle Clay make it quite the memorable time.
    I can recommend this place base on taste and location. I ordered the mango flavor and it tasted good but not the best. The location and set up is what I enjoy.
    After snorkeling at H Bay, I brought the family to get a treat. It was very nice running into Uncle Clay there. So warm hearted he gave us a sincere welcome from his heart. HOPA. Loved the ice and the visit. Happy 6th anniversary!

Similar places people viewed in Honolulu

Browse Hawaiian Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods