Joe's Crab Shack

Seafood Restaurant

crab • fish and chips • the river • outdoor seating

Joe's Crab Shack has 20 Tips

a month ago
    Food consistently great. Outdoor seating kept 2 year old entertained by boats. The kids loved the Shark Nibbler drink and the screaming that went with the “shark in the water” drink. Drinks and service great. Clean family atmosphere.
    a month ago
    OK...probably not the fairest of reviews as I don't have much experience eating crabs! Seemed to have great variety
    We were the typical tourists on the waterfront of Savannah's historic district. The weather, to us, was brutally hot and humid so dropping into an air conditioned bar or restaurant brought respite from this. We took a chance here and went out onto the patio along the riverfront and were delighted with the breeze and shade. It was fun to watch the different boats go by. My husband started with a big pot of mussels and went on to have some more shellfish as his main. He enjoyed both. I don't eat shellfish so ordered the chicken club. It was pretty good but was far too heavily salted which I did mention to the server when we left. Just an oops I am sure. The margarita was big, frosty and delicious.
    I ordered the crab dip which had too much pimento cheese in it for my taste. I also got the seafood platter which I enjoyed very much. Our server did a great job. I will go back next time.
    We were in the area when hurricane Irma was on the way. We walked by Joe's Crab Shack and the manager was so friendly we decided to stay and have drinks and some food. Even with a hurricane in sight the staff was so nice. We opted to sit at the bar where we were very well taken care of. We just had appetizers but they came out hot and quick. Wide variety of drinks to choose from which all sound delicious!
    No Dress code . It is shack but with a good decoration ( imagine Friday's ). Seating outside is like park benches but the view is phenomenal. Food is decent, nothing fancy. I tried the several shrimps ( fried, coconut, peel'n &eat ) they were Ok. Lobster tails were dry and I had to ask for butter The drink Shark Bite is a real conversation piece, a blue frozen drink that has a shark toy with a red tube in it that facilitates the blood leak into the waters :) However, when I asked frozen it was brought on the rocks ( the bartender thinks this would be better for me) and the waitress dropped the red tube filled with jello shot on my shoe, that left a stain , without even apologizing for it. The red drink that supposed to be dropped into the large glass arrived later half way thru the drink .. Overall service is the poorest ( that's why that add the tip into every bill for groups of six) Food arrived 45 min later. If you are hungry and need a fast bite, avoid this place . Enjoy the outdoors, watch the river and boats and close your eyes & ears to the poor service, then this would be the place for you
    My husband and I had really great dinner. We got exactly what we expected and more but the best part of the night was our waitress Alexcicia. She was very pleasant and accommodating we will definitely come back if and when we come back to Savanna. The views are really beautiful with the ships and ferries going by.
    We had a group of 8 ladies and the service and food was really good. I didn't hear any complaints. Our waitress had a cute fun personality!
    Amazing food, good prices, and it's awesome to sit by the water and relax while you eat. Cheerful staff. Split a $25 steampot with my guy and it was plenty of food for a moderate dinner. All of the seafood was really fresh and perfectly cooked and seasoned.
    This is the 2nd time We've visited Joe's. The location is perfect (on River Street), and they have an outdoor deck for dining. The service was good and the food even better. Tried the King Crab with a 1lb. side of mussels. Friends ordered crab cakes and everyone agreed food was delicious. We will return.
    If you want fresh find that is served and cooked well this is the place for you. They even brought water for our dog! Right on River St where there's a lot to see and do.
    Go to Joe's for a crab fest. Delicious crab cooked anyway you like it. Reasonably priced. A large establishment that can be quite noisy inside. Try sitting on the verandah that has lovely views over the river.
    I've been to numerous Joe's Crab Shacks and never been terribly impressed. Not so for Joe's in Savannah. After being on the road from Florida to Virginia and heading back to Florida, Joe's was an unexpected treat. Everyone was super friendly and our waitress Shondra was the about the most pleasant person we ran into on our trip. We got a seafood bucket for 2 and everything was delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed out dinner that night. Once again, the staff from hostess to busboy to waitress to manager was the friendliest we had on our entire trip.
    The view of the river was great from the outside patio and the kids had a blast watching the boats go by. The service was semi-attentive and the food was decent. We had peel-and-eat shrimp that tasted fresh, popcorn shrimp with delicious hush puppies, and a steamer pot with crab legs and other goodies that the kids devoured. Good place overall.
    We arrived to Savannah on a typically rainy summer day and amidst the downpour decided to try Joe's. Glad we stumbled in! Although there were only a few tables the atmosphere was fun and upbeat. We decided on one of their big seafood pots to share, snow, Dungeness crab as well as mussels and clams, sausage and corn. It was messy and super fun. The seafood was cooked and seasoned perfectly and the cocktails (margarita and Bloody mary) were great! The only downside was (perhaps because it was so slow) several wait staff were just lounging around and goofing on the side. Our waiter was great in the beginning but had to search for him for another drink. All in all... We would be back!
    Not usually crowded as it is at the east end of the riverwalk, but worth it. Great food with good prices. It is on the river, the only restaurant that is. Watch the ships go by! Melissa, our waitress, was fantastic. Highly recommended.
    The service was horrible. The waitress continued to ignore us and was extremely rude. The only saving grace was that the food was delicious.
    My group of 9 people (4 adults, 5 children) visited this establishment and had great service at other Joe's Crab Shack locations. It started off well, we ordered drinks for everyone. Once the server returned, she took our order. We know with the amount of people that were there, it may take a few minutes longer to get our food. After we received our food, we asked for melted butter and refills on all drinks. The server did not bring our melted butter until we were almost finished eating. She refilled all drinks but one and had a water (what i ordered) on her serving platter. She started walking away and I asked if that was my water, she turned looked at me and walked away. Management was contacted and gave us a discount. This particular waitress was helping another couple that she obviously knew and just neglected our party. Very disappointed in the service. Food was amazing as always that's the only reason this review is a 3.
    Are you stuffy and uptight? Skip this place. We had a great time at dinner! Our server Shakita was funny and personable and made friends with us within seconds. I asked about clarified butter (special diet) and she went straight to the manager and answered my question ASAP. She helped us order, and kept us updated every few minutes on our food. When it was delivered, it was perfect. Ask for a bib, and let me know what they write on it. Shakita wrote on mine: "I only like men with mussels." I wore it with pride. Every so often a song plays and the entire staff dances with any customers who want to join in. Our table ate: popcorn shrimp and fries, Maui tacos (declared "The Best Ever!" by our 19-year-old), and a steam pot with shrimp and lobster. Yes, it's a chain, but we loved the entire experience. And plan to go back later this week!
    Yes, it's a chain restaurant entirely lacking in personality, and completely out of touch with the city of Savannah. Even so, it's the only restaurant directly on the water on River street. The building is beautiful, everything is spotlessly clean, and the AC can't be beat. My fish and chips were pretty good. The Scattered Sun was cold and delicious. Nicole is the friendliest waitress I've experienced in a while.

Similar places people viewed in Savannah

Browse Seafood Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods