Photo of Back Burner Restaurant in Hockessin, DE, US
Photo of Back Burner Restaurant in Hockessin, DE, US
Photo of Back Burner Restaurant in Hockessin, DE, US

Back Burner Restaurant

American Restaurant

mushroom soup • filet • crab cakes • free range chicken

Not featured in any maps yet.

Be the first to add to a map!

Back Burner Restaurant has 20 Tips

We had a party of 18 adults and 3 children in a private room. Food was excellent and service perfect. I was so impressed that everyone's dinner came out exactly at the same time. Highly recommend this place for any occasion
    Six friends met for dinner. Our server was very attentive and pleasant. We all had the beef filet and one had it with shrimp scampi and the other with a crab cake. Our meals were delicious. Highly recommend.
    Back burner has become one of our favorite places. Their pumpkin mushroom soup is hands down the best. We typically sit at the bar, but there is also a main dining room and a small room off the bar with a fireplace. The chef is creative and the food is always good. And best of all, its quiet So you can have a conversation, but not boring. Tuesday is burger night, wed is surf and turf, abd thurs is lobster night (19.99).
    We went last week. My wife loves their Pumpkin Mushroom soup.The special for Thursday was a Whole Lobster, some corn on the cob, and a few potatoes for 19.00. It will continue as a special all summer. We plan on eating their a lot on Thursdays. Bib was included. If you still have room, the deserts are excellent also.
    Had lunch today at the Back Burner and everything was delightful as was the server - Dino. I had the pumpkin mushroom soup, oyster poboy, and the bread pudding dessert. All encouraged to have again. Definitely recommend. Kudos and good job!!!
    WONDERFUL restaurant: spectaculiar foord: the pumpkin soup is marveous: the atmosphere is fabulous: the food choices are wonderfuL it is a great place for celebrations too
    Nice restaurant with excellent food. Came here for Valentine's day dinner so the place was much busier than usual. Service was understandably a bit slower, yet still very friendly. Food was excellent from the starter rolls, to appetizers, entrees and desserts.
    Love pumpkin mushroom soup....great salads and sandwiches. Love to eat and shop in the Kitchen Sink store after!
    Five of us for dinner on a Friday night. Crowded but not noisy. Get the pumpkin mushroom soup! A few of us had the small filet which was done just right, with mashed potatoes and haricot vert. The server was personable and witty and unobtrusive. It's been years since I've been here, and I loved it. And the prices were not outrageous either. Everyone enjoyed... so I say it rates a 5 star Zowie!
    I've been coming here for four decades and whether in the restaurant or the more-recent casual eating/store sibling next door, it has bean a regular favorite. Some have commented on slip-ups in service and I have noticed that very infrequently. But after more than 50 visits over the years, I'd give it a very good rating for food and ambience and good on the service overall. I've always found the staff eager to make things right when there is a misstep. My favorites here are the pumpkin-mushroom soup along with steaks and fish.
    I came here for the first time recently and was pleasantly surprised by how delicious the food was. I ordered the burger and it was very flavorful and delicious. Service was good too.
    My husband and I decided to try dinner here for our night out without our children last evening. I have nothing bad to say about the food, it was very delicious. Everything we had was on point, hats off to the chef. My biggest problem was that the hostess seated us and apparently never told our server we had been seated. We sat for at least 15-20 minutes before my husband approached her. She did then quickly get a server to the table and admitted her mistake. I would have appreciated some service recovery from the manager, like a complimentary drink or desert, because to me that shows that management and staff simply don't care about making a memorable and positive lasting impression. For that reason I probably won't go back.
    Went to Back Burner on a last minute choice and glad we did! Menu is very good and offers full and half portions. For example, can get an 8 ounce filet ($30) or a 4 ounce filet ($16) - both include mashed potatoes and veggie - so the only difference is the size of the filet. Very good! I ordered the 4 ounce and it came out cooked to perfection and just off the broiler ! Just the way it should be. Pumpkin soup was very good and creamy. It's a staple here! Service was very good and attentive. Server made recommendations which we always like. Wednesdays have a very good deal - surf and turf which is the 4 ounce filet and set as well as a crab cake or three shrimp. That's a good deal! Will go back again - in the near future!
    I have been here a couple of times over the years, but it has been a while and my wife and I were looking for a place for a decent lunch in the Hockessin area. We stopped in and were one of the first tables seated for their lunch hour. I ordered a wedge salad and we both ordered the prime rib sandwich. The 1/2 wedge salad was actually pretty good - I should have gotten the whole wedge salad and called it a day.... The service was average. The atmosphere was nice - in the past dinners have been romantic. But our prime rib sandwiches left a bit to be desired. They seemed overcooked and a bit gristly. And there was an itty bitty spot of horseradish sauce on the top of the roll - we both had to ask for some additional (I realize not everyone likes a lot, but that could have put it on the side to begin with.) The rolls were a bit crumbly making the sandwich hard to manage. Overall, meh. Just disappointing.....
    My 10 year old daughter and I went to the take out side of the restaurant which was supposed to be fancy. We wanted a quick, but good lunch and the "take out" side also had about 10 eat in tables. The food was outstanding and the service was perfect. My daughter loved all of the candy and gourmet food items to look at while we waited for our food. I had the turkey club with avocado and red pepper pesto hummus and homemade chips and my daughter had the Shepards pie. They were both absolutely delicious. If you're in the area this is a must visit! They have beautiful cheeses and lots of soups and desserts to grab and go!
    My wife and I stopped in for lunch after shopping on Saturday. She ordered the pumpkin soup and salmon. I ordered the chicken salad on a croissant. Her lunch was very good. Mine tasted bland. Our waitress Samantha was wonderful.I don't think we will be going back:(
    The Back Burner is located in De. and settled among a row of quaint stores. Our ladies lunch group has eaten there several times. The soup favorite is pumpkin mushroom, very good , with lots of mushrooms with a dollop of cream on top. I enjoy the chicken salad and the prime rib sandwich with grilled onions. Friendly staff. Next door is the Back Burner to go café, you can purchase their soups and sandwiches.
    Had dinner last Tuesday which was half priced hamburgers, they where excellent, cooked just right and the price was right. $6,00 dollars The salad was very good and the soup was hot and very tasty. We will be going back soon to celebrate my 76 birthday with my family, we are looking forward to this event.
    This restaurant never disappoints. Been coming here for over 30 years. Had dinner last night with my husband and some good friends. I had a filet mignon, crab cake and Caesar salad. They do a great job with the Caesar salad! Overall, an excellent dinner.
    This is a very nice place as far as locations and atmosphere and I've tried it several times but this was probably the last - I'm just not a fan. My daughter enjoyed her duck and I got a burger which was also good, however, I asked for ketchup and the server brought me a tiny cup which was about half full with not enough to even cover the burger. Speaking of the servers, the entire place was empty when we arrived (around 5:15) and yet we were seated at the booth closest to the entrance/hostess station. During our meal, since they weren't busy, three servers AND the hostess stood and killed time right by our booth - one even draped her arm over the back of my daughter's side of the booth. Also, my daughter was curious about one particular ingredient in the hash which came with her duck and asked our server. She had no idea what it was but said she'd check ... and never did. Probably won't go again.

Similar places people viewed in Hockessin

• Perfect Cup Cafe