Photo of Back Burner Restaurant in Hockessin, DE, US
Photo of Back Burner Restaurant in Hockessin, DE, US
Photo of Back Burner Restaurant in Hockessin, DE, US

Back Burner Restaurant

American Restaurant

mushroom soup • filet • crab cakes • free range chicken

Not featured in any maps yet.

Be the first to add to a map!

Back Burner Restaurant has 20 Tips

Great American fare from seafood to steak it's a mouthwatering experience. You must try the Pumpkin Mushroom Soup to get a taste of the warm homey feeling Back Burner can create. There is also a to-go shop so that you can bring home a taste of wonderful.
    We joined good friends here for dinner and neither of us had dined here before - what a treat! This is a very comfortable, very nice restaurant tucked away in a shopping center in Hockessin. Our server was doubling as the bartender as we arrived for an early dinner and she was awesome! Patty made sure that we had everything we needed and continued to check on us throughout the evening and was so welcoming and friendly. We shared the Better Cheddar and Fried Calamari appetizers and they are both absolutely delicious. My wife enjoyed the Black & Bleu from their "Lighter Fare" while I had the Filet - both dishes were delicious and well prepared. As our meal came to a conclusion the restaurant had quickly begun to fill up; proof that they are very popular. We will return!
    The hostess misrepresented items and also charged for items we did not order. Two of us went there and one person ordered a soup. But when the bill came there were charges for 2 soups. One lamb item was prepared well. Another person ordered a sandwich with egg without any meet. The sandwich comes with chips. They asked whether we would like fries instead. There was meet on the sandwich and there were chips and sandwich. We were billed for each separately. This is the worst misrepresenting and cheating restaurant. If you go there, be careful about their marketing techniques and examine the bill multiple times.
    This gem of a restaurant is tucked at the back of the upscale Casual Marketplace. The decor was understated and welcoming and we were seated in a quiet corner as I'd previously requested on "Open Table". Our pleasant and accommodating waitress Tina served our 2 delicious bacon-wrapped shrimp and mushrooms stuffed with crabmeat appetizers quickly. I did find the Caesar salad wilted and bland, with little evidence of the anchovies dressing. My blackened pork chop was cooked perfectly as medium. My husband took one taste of his petite filet mignon with reduction sauce but it was cooked too rare, instead of medium rare. He was then served another whole filet portion, green beans and mashed potatoes, perfect with every bite. We forgot to give our waitress our gift card until after she'd presented us the bill. So, she graciously printed us a corrected one and boxed up our ample leftovers and wedge salad. We will definitely return to this restaurant in trendy Hockessin for its great entrees and relaxing ambience!
    The Back Burner in Hockessin is a very good place to eat! The food is very good; and also attractive. They specialize in Sweet Potato-Mushroom soup and Crab Cakes. I have had the soup, the crab cake dinner and crab cake sandwich, their house salad, their roasted vegetables & polenta, and their mushroom appetizer. They were all excellent - as was their bread pudding & ice cream for desert. Everyone in the group of 5 and the group of 6 was very pleased with their meal, the service and the atmosphere.
    I received an invitation to be a "substitute" in our local garden group. I accepted the invitation and then was told I need to bring a cheese tray along! I ran into the Back Burner to go and thankfully found Mary! She put together a collection of Cheeses and accompaniments that WOWED the crowd! Thanks for making me look good!
    My wife and I stopped in for a drink but our bartender, Aine, suggested we try the $5 happy hour food - so we did. Wow! It was fantastic. We had some gourmet Brussels sprouts along with some bruschetta and a steak salad that were very tasty. Don't forget to squeeze the lemon on the sprouts to balance the flavor. The customer support is outstanding from bartenders to bus boys. Frank, the manager runs a tight ship providing quality support to his staff where in turn his staff provides the same to his customers. We will be back for sure.
    We had a party of 18 adults and 3 children in a private room. Food was excellent and service perfect. I was so impressed that everyone's dinner came out exactly at the same time. Highly recommend this place for any occasion
    Six friends met for dinner. Our server was very attentive and pleasant. We all had the beef filet and one had it with shrimp scampi and the other with a crab cake. Our meals were delicious. Highly recommend.
    Back burner has become one of our favorite places. Their pumpkin mushroom soup is hands down the best. We typically sit at the bar, but there is also a main dining room and a small room off the bar with a fireplace. The chef is creative and the food is always good. And best of all, its quiet So you can have a conversation, but not boring. Tuesday is burger night, wed is surf and turf, abd thurs is lobster night (19.99).
    We went last week. My wife loves their Pumpkin Mushroom soup.The special for Thursday was a Whole Lobster, some corn on the cob, and a few potatoes for 19.00. It will continue as a special all summer. We plan on eating their a lot on Thursdays. Bib was included. If you still have room, the deserts are excellent also.
    Had lunch today at the Back Burner and everything was delightful as was the server - Dino. I had the pumpkin mushroom soup, oyster poboy, and the bread pudding dessert. All encouraged to have again. Definitely recommend. Kudos and good job!!!
    WONDERFUL restaurant: spectaculiar foord: the pumpkin soup is marveous: the atmosphere is fabulous: the food choices are wonderfuL it is a great place for celebrations too
    Nice restaurant with excellent food. Came here for Valentine's day dinner so the place was much busier than usual. Service was understandably a bit slower, yet still very friendly. Food was excellent from the starter rolls, to appetizers, entrees and desserts.
    Love pumpkin mushroom soup....great salads and sandwiches. Love to eat and shop in the Kitchen Sink store after!
    Five of us for dinner on a Friday night. Crowded but not noisy. Get the pumpkin mushroom soup! A few of us had the small filet which was done just right, with mashed potatoes and haricot vert. The server was personable and witty and unobtrusive. It's been years since I've been here, and I loved it. And the prices were not outrageous either. Everyone enjoyed... so I say it rates a 5 star Zowie!
    I've been coming here for four decades and whether in the restaurant or the more-recent casual eating/store sibling next door, it has bean a regular favorite. Some have commented on slip-ups in service and I have noticed that very infrequently. But after more than 50 visits over the years, I'd give it a very good rating for food and ambience and good on the service overall. I've always found the staff eager to make things right when there is a misstep. My favorites here are the pumpkin-mushroom soup along with steaks and fish.
    I came here for the first time recently and was pleasantly surprised by how delicious the food was. I ordered the burger and it was very flavorful and delicious. Service was good too.
    My husband and I decided to try dinner here for our night out without our children last evening. I have nothing bad to say about the food, it was very delicious. Everything we had was on point, hats off to the chef. My biggest problem was that the hostess seated us and apparently never told our server we had been seated. We sat for at least 15-20 minutes before my husband approached her. She did then quickly get a server to the table and admitted her mistake. I would have appreciated some service recovery from the manager, like a complimentary drink or desert, because to me that shows that management and staff simply don't care about making a memorable and positive lasting impression. For that reason I probably won't go back.
    Went to Back Burner on a last minute choice and glad we did! Menu is very good and offers full and half portions. For example, can get an 8 ounce filet ($30) or a 4 ounce filet ($16) - both include mashed potatoes and veggie - so the only difference is the size of the filet. Very good! I ordered the 4 ounce and it came out cooked to perfection and just off the broiler ! Just the way it should be. Pumpkin soup was very good and creamy. It's a staple here! Service was very good and attentive. Server made recommendations which we always like. Wednesdays have a very good deal - surf and turf which is the 4 ounce filet and set as well as a crab cake or three shrimp. That's a good deal! Will go back again - in the near future!

Similar places people viewed in Hockessin

• Perfect Cup Cafe