Kafe Leopold

Austrian Restaurant

brunch • schnitzel • cakes • almond croissant

Kafe Leopold has 20 Tips

a month ago
    We managed to walk down a short brick-paved alley and stumbled across this cute cafe with a charming outdoor area. We had to have lunch there! Very crowded but we strolled through Georgetown waiting for the text to indicate our table was ready. The atmosphere was incredible. The food is Austrian based but with enough more traditional choices. Will come back every time we are in DC
    a month ago
    It was cute, nice location and nice service. I ordered the shrimp and grits and I never ordered shrimp & grits without finishing it.....I did that day. I wasn't impressed with their food nor was anyone else in my party. I paid more than I thought the food was worth, but I wasn't hungry after I ate so there's that. I will not be back.
    A nice modern restaurant serving nicely cooked dishes. All we orderes was prepared with the smalest details, tasty and nicely presented
    Had lunch here on a warm September afternoon. Could not have been a more pleasant experience. The Kafe Leopold sits at the end of a commercial mews on the west end of Georgetown (off M Street NW) and has inside and outside seating. The place tries hard--and mostly successfully--to give off a European vibe in food and atmosphere. The menu has agreeable enough light dishes. We had salads and an open-faced sandwich. The service was friendly enough, though it was hard to get someone to bring the check at the end of the meal. We passed on desserts but there is a large display case full of a lot of pastries, etc. Nice place to meet for a business lunch--sound levels are pretty low. Parking in this area can be a challenge, and best possibilities are above M Street on 34th and 35th.
    This place is over priced and the service is terrible. The setting is awful. In the back alley. Very uncomfortable outside seating. Either sun is in you face or its cold even in the nice weather. Overall I will not go back and not recommend this restaurant to people visiting Georgetown area in Washington DC.
    Gorgeous weather and a lovely outdoor table. Had an amazing experience at this lovely European brassiere. Literally felt like we were In Europe between the placement of the restaurant, staff and dishes to choose from. We went for brunch on Sunday and had to wait for 25 min so I ran across and got some Georgetown cupcakes for the kids (didn't know about all the amazing desserts they have). Their brunch drinks looked incredible but didn't want to have alcohol so didn't indulge but next time!!!! Their menu was vast and gave many delicious options. Service was prompt, and food was out quick. They also serve dinner would love to come back to try dinner!!!! Definitely will go to again. Great for families with kids
    Was staying in Georgetown this weekend and my wife and I wanted a new place to go for brunch. We found this online, and got on their list around noon (note: they don't take reservations.) Only had to wait ten minutes on a busy Sunday. Place was busy, and but service kept up. Had the Avocado toast which was excellent, and my wife had the Lemon pancakes which I would also recommend.
    Entrees are so-so but the desserts and cappuccinos are fantastic. The beer is good too. I would go back but just for the desserts. The service was very good.
    Walked around Georgetown andfound this place behind the main street. Very clean, well run restaurant with breakfast, lunch and dinner. Full wine snd liquor bar. Food presentation was of European style, with class! Great place to eat and enjoy, with no rush ti move you out!
    Excellent food. Great location in the heart of Georgetown. Beautiful setting. The service was slow. Very slow. But the atmosphere is nice.
    We had brunch at Kafe Leopold on Sunday, July 30, 2017. There was a wait, but shorter than we were told - we waited about 30 minutes for a table at 11:00 am (prime time). We enjoyed delicious Emperor's pancakes: huge, filling portions that my younger son and I could have shared, with some delicious breakfast potatoes. My older son had an egg dish, which he greatly enjoyed. The mood is upbeat, with cool modern styling. Part indoor seating and part patio with umbrellas. Wonderful summer sangria drinks with frozen fruit. An unbelievable pastry display, very European, but you'll likely have no room to sample the pastries if you've eaten an entree. Take some beautiful pastries to go!Lovely presentation on everything.
    It was a perfect and pleasant Sunday afternoon and we've heard nice things about this Austrian cafe in Georgetown, so we decided to try it. It is indeed a nice place with a terrace and indoor seating and the menu has a plenty of enticing meals and coffee options. And... That's about all the nice things I can say about this place, the minute we sat down it all went south: no other options than whole milk for any coffee, nor lactose free, no almond, no soy no coconut milk and this place calls itself a Café!!! Someone in our party asked for a cappuccino which came I think about 25 minutes later and cold, we told this to the waiter, he took it and said he'd replace (nor the waiter or the cappuccino ever came back). My espresso was just as cold BTW. As other waitress brought us the rest of our order almost 40 minutes since ordered we decided to have had enough and asked for the check (insert 20 minutes here). Finally the check came and we pointed out the cold cappuccino never was replaced so they wouldn't charge it, took another 15 minutes to correct it. Needless to say we didn't pay the $10 automatically charged gratuity they intended for our party of 6. In sum: so so coffee, so so pastries, terrible service. Didn't have any meals nor the brunch maybe it was because we went after brunch our experience was an unpleasant one. And prices are not petty. Not coming back
    SLightly out of the way so calm, while in the center of Georgetown, a real nice place that fits even for light business meeting.
    Good fortune to have brunch here. Sat outside and watched all kinds of interesting folks pass by. Yes it's an alley but a really cool alley. We had the pulled pork with poached eggs, avocado toast with poached eggs and ham n cheese croissant. All excellent.
    After dinner we went Kafe Leopold to have desserts. The atmosphere is modern and smart casual. We enjoyed Praline Mousse, Eclair and regular coffee - Julius Meinl - we loved this when we were in Chicago. Coffee is served with chaser and small chocolate like coffee shops in Vienna.
    Would definitely recommend this cafe if you are in Georgetown and want a twist to your normal entrees. We went for brunch and I had the lemon pancakes with a berry compote. I enjoyed them very much. One of my friends loves the wine soup and another was thrilled with her quiche. Save room for the desserts because they are to die for! The downside is that they don't take reservations and you have to deal with the hassle of Georgetown parking. The tables are pretty close together but it wasn't necessarily a problem for us. Even though it was quite busy we weren't rushed out of the restaurant and they allowed us to enjoy our leisurely conversation. All in all a positive experience.
    In Georgetown, down the steps of Cady's Alley or walk around the block to find tables outside and inside with a European cafe society feel Decent cafe food, beverages and desserts A lovely place to people watch or just enjoy the sunshine. A locals favorite. Busy during peak times
    Off the beaten track from the bustling streets of Georgetown, this Bavarian 'Kafe' boasts great cocktails, schnitzel, and atmosphere! Perfect for brunch on a summery day.
    I brought my parents here for brunch after a recommendation from the friend. We all got different things, and none of us were too amazed by what we received. The portion sizes were small (except the emperor's pancakes), the prices high, and the service was good but not excellent. I won't recommend this or return, because there are so many brunch places that are better along the Georgetown waterfront.
    Our time at Kafe Leopold was greatly successful. Located in a charming alley away from the bustle of Georgetown's main street, this cafe features a light and pleasant atmosphere with an elegant, contemporary feel. The Viennese-style menu is extensive and interesting. And the food is fantastic--especially the desserts! Service was offered with a smile. We would definitely return there. Highly recommend!

Similar places people viewed in Washington

Browse Austrian Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods