Modern Apizza

Italian Restaurant

Modern Apizza34.5
pizza • pie • italian bomb • eggplant

Modern Apizza has 23 Tips

Though its Wooster Street counterparts tend to get the bulk of the pizza attention for their New Haven-style pies, Modern is the pizzeria that panelists liked best in town. Modern serves the thin-crust apizza that has become synonymous with New Haven, and Scott Wiener notes that it also "has the quirky option of American cheese." Eater Editorial Director Amanda Kludt writes, "I love the vibe of this place and their clam pie." [Photo: Ethan Prater/Flickr]
    Also founded in 1934, their signature is the "Italian Bomb" which has 7 toppings!
    Incredible pizza and calzones! Long line so go either early or late to miss it.
    For an afternoon lunch as part of my sister's 65th birthday celebration we ordered pizzas from Modern Pizza so as not to have to cook. On the bargain, we got a terrific selection of Veggie and meat pizzas. Everyone was happy.
    What an assortment of pizza's they have here. Trying to get in here during popular times and you will wait in a long line outside. It's worth it, but the line can get very long. We go at lunch or off times so we're not rushed or crowded. Really good pizza.
    New haven has plenty if great pizza. But in my opinion Modern is the best. Their italian bomb or clamb casino are my favorites. Great option to dine in or take out.
    The place is good. It's not Amazing. New haven pizza is pretty incredible and I enjoy living here and discussing pizza battles. I also like that BAR And Modern get in on this pizza contest with the famous Sally's and Modern, and I tend to see the rankings go: Pepes Sally's Modern BAR Many people put Modern first. The atmosphere is so so and the pizza is good to great, but NOT Amazing. My rankings are: Sally's BAR Pepes Modern
    Modern Apizza has the best pizza in New Haven hands down. In addition, unlike some other pizza establishments in New Haven, the staff at Modern is actually pleasant to deal with!
    The greatest apizza in new haven!!! I highly recommend the margarita, chicken and hot cherry pepper or Italian bomb pizza. And they always have a local brew on tap. Best pizza and service around
    The last time iIreviewed Modern was in 2014 .Well the place is not the same slower staff confused , the salad smaller and warm The Pizza forget-about it thick doughy crust I'm going to Pepe's from now on 3rd time this has happened no one cares .
    Our pizza was baked to perfection!! We stopped on our way to the airport after attending a family wedding. We make it a point to stop for pizza before we leave every time we are in town. Great service, clean restaurant and delicious wine. We absolutely recommend this place.
    I'm a Jersey guy who works in NYC. I know good pizza. This was my first ever New Haven pizza. It was great! I had the Italian Bomb which includes bacon, sausage, pepperoni, peppers, onions and mushrooms. Probably a little too over the top for me. Also ordered a pizza with mozzarella (careful NJ & NYC pizza eaters, if you say plain, you'll get a pizza with no cheese). I'm going to make it a point to stop by and order something different next time I'm in the area.
    Really nice crispy pie with the right hint of garlic. I had meatball topping on my pizza-- best meatball I've had anywhere on pizza. The service was prompt and the wait not nearly as bad as it looks. Warning this is a five star rating for pizza. You want five star best meal you'll have in your life--- well don't go to a pizza joint. By the way high marks also for house salad with house dressing.
    I have tried many pizza places in New Haven and Modern is one of the best. That said, I have yet to try dining in at Modern - can't be bothered to wait for a table and have always ordered for takeout. The white clam pizza is a favorite, seasoned just right and not too salty, with yummy thin crust, and brick oven flavor. Love it! Parking space is limited. Not sure when it's not busy, the last time I went was at 3 pm on a Saturday and there was only one parking spot left.
    The pizza is brick oven and slightly charred. Best pizza of my life. Entrees Ike spaghetti and meatballs and eggplant rollatine, were fresh and delicious and only $8. You need your head examined if you choose to eat elsewhere.
    Interior is simple. Mix of Booths and tables. Generally a line to get in. But worht the wait. Very extensive choices of pizza. Once in Service is fast and efficient.
    I am not a gluten-free person, but my wife and daughter need to follow that diet. When we go to a pizzeria, I normally just go along with them and try to stomach the gluten-free crust. Modern Apizza's version is amazing and I would challenge anyone to tell the difference from a normal pizza crust. We tried the Crabmeat and the Italian Bomb (bacon, sausage, pepperoni, mushroom, onion, pepper, garlic) pizza. The Crabmeat is rather rich and a departure from the usual pizza topping, but very enjoyable. The Bomb is a great combination of toppings for the meat lover in the family with well-balanced flavors, nothing overwhelming. Each was delicious and there was enough for our daughter to take home for lunches during the week. The atmosphere is casual and comfortable, with a sort of throw-back kind of feel to it that brings back memories of non-chain pizza parlors. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Great place for dinner.
    We have visited every pizza place in new haven and always come back to Modern. We believe it is definitely the best. Service is quick. Side salads are good too.
    Best Pizza I've had since Chicago in 1993! The Italian Sausage tasted like it came from Italy and the pepperoni had the most awesome flavor, like fresh pepperoni! Wonderful service. It was worth the hour we drive around I a full size pick up, trying to find a place to park! Go! Don't delay!
    My favorite pizza in New Haven - highly recommend the Italian Bomb. Size up from what you think you might order because even if you don't finish the pie you'll want leftovers!
    Nothing fancy here – just really delicious pizza. If you go, go for the pizza. The décor is run down –with booths that might even be original 1934 vintage, or perhaps the 1960s, but that is part of the charm of this college favorite. Cheap wine, and a few craft beers are available to accompany these amazing pizzas. I ordered a small 12” Italian Bomb. It was at least 16” in diameter, heaped with sausage, crispy bacon, pepperoni, cheese – its been a long time since I had a pizza this tasty. I’ll be back.
    Stopped in for an early dinner on a Thursday evening around 5:30pm and were seated right away. We ordered 2 small pies, a tomato and a mozzarella. The mozzarella pie was excellent; the sauce, cheese and crust all had a great depth of flavor and the texture was just right. But omg the tomato pie was just incredible, with drizzled olive oil and grated cheese on top. It was one of the best pizzas I've ever had and believe me, that bar is high. Very friendly service and moderate prices. A New Haven favorite for sure. Can't wait to go back!
    I can eat any pizza i love it. Pizza was far from great... it wasn't disgusting but it wasn't good either... the dough was blah and older ladie that was our server was in her own world and wasn't friendly or helpful... had an attitude.... foxon park soda from the machine was flat... def not worth the wait and the money u pay... would not ever go back... pepes, mikes pizza, and zuppardies is the way to go

Similar places people viewed in New Haven