Russell's Smokehouse

American Restaurant

chicken • ribs • combo plate • smoked meat

Russell's Smokehouse has 20 Tips

a month ago
    Quite the enjoyable little gem, hidden downstairs in Larimer Square. The draft beer selection was top notch, and the house made cocktails were inventive enough for even the pickiest hipsters that seemed to frequent this place. The food was freshly prepared and delivered as described by the servers. The tableside selection of three separate bbq sauces were different enough to satisfy almost any taste. The dessert was spectacular. The prices were quite reasonable. Temperature in the building was a little warm and humid for my liking and the restrooms needed some serious attention-thus the 4 stars. I would definitely go back and i would strongly encourage anyone to give this place a try.
    a month ago
    Went for dinner and it was fantastic. Appetizer and craft beer were both a great start. We tried a pork dish and seafood (salmon) and they were both outstanding with great flavors and just the right hint of smoked preparation. Service was perfect and prices are in-line with Lodo.
    a month ago
    Had a few cocktails which were great, then spoke to the chef who brought us the carpaccio, fantastic. Cannot complain at all.
    a month ago
    SO good!! Inventive cocktails and great beer offerings. Started with pickle chips and pretzel bites which were both delicious - great flavors, generous portions. Baby back ribs were meaty, moist, flavorful. 3 great BBQ sauce choices. Bourbon peach pie was an delicious way to top off this gluttonous and great meal. Staff was friendly, helpful, laid-back. A great dinner overall!
    a month ago
    Loved this place. We had burnt ends, ribs, and wild boar tenderloin. The food was delicious and the sided we almost better. The waiter was engaging and knowledgeable and they have an excellent selection of craft cocktails and local beer. When you’re done there, try the speakeasy next door. Even better selection of cocktails in a cozy but vibrant setting.
    The place was recommended to us by several people - it is quirky with good service and tasty food. Ribs were fantastic as well as combo. However we were bemused after ordering desert ... ice cream ......we asked for 2 scops, one vanilla and other cannot remember which flavour and the waiter brought us two balls of ice cream each containing a single flavour - not sure if this was misunderstanding .. In spite of this would recommend this to all bbq rib lovers...
    Russell's Smokehouse was recommended to us by a neighboring store owner. We were searching for a nice meal after a long day of sight seeing and football. The staff were friendly and helpful and very efficient and attentive. The food went far beyond our expectations. It was some of the best barbecue I have ever had. My husband had the smoked cheese grits which were amazing. I hope we have the opportunity to return someday.
    Came here with my husband and ordered the fried pickles and the baby back ribs appetizer (it was app happy hour). The pickles were good but the ribs were outstanding. They have seasoning on them but there are 3 sauces on the table for you to put on yourself. They were delicious. We then ordered the combo plate to share and got the chimichurri zucchini and squash as a side. The combo had pulled pork, chicken and brisket. Everything was very tasty. The server was friendly but she left us hanging a long time waiting to order and we waited awhile for our main course. Overall though this place is good. More upscale bbq place, definately not a paper towels on the table and get your hands dirty kind of place.
    This is a quaint, relatively quiet place in the basement off Latimer. The BBQ brisket and brunt ends combo wasn't on the menu but the waiter said the kitchen could handle it. Brunt ends were exceptional, the Brisket a bit dry. Overall service was excellent by the one meal I had this place is a good value.
    My director, assistant director, a guest, & I were going to eat here while on a business trip. We called to make reservations, my boss clearly asked for a reservation for 4 and instructed the female employee who answered the phone that 1 of the 4(myself) is in a wheelchair and asked if they could accommodate us. She said, "oh yes, its not not a problem." After an hour or so, I'm assuming a manager calls my boss and informs him that they have no way to get me in the business as they do not have a accessible entrance as they only have a stairway entrance to go down into Tue restaurant. How in the world in 2017 do you own and operate a business that is not ADA compliant or have any disabled/wheelchair access. And no where on any website does it state this fact. I am greatly dissatisfied at this business and how they have no access for people who suffer from some form of a disability. I will be reporting to the local BBB and any other authroity.
    We were all hungry and decided on sharing plates. Ordered Fried Japepenos, Sausage Plate, Baby Back Ribs, Burnt Ends sandwich, Pulled Port sandwich. All met our expectations, delicious. Too much food to eat at one sitting.
    I really wanted some barbecue, and decided I'd try it for lunch. Service was very quick, the brisket sandich special with slaw and fried sweet potatoes was well worth the price. I also enjoyed fresh-made ginger beer. Three different barbecue sauces (Texas sweet, habanero, and Carolina mustard) were offered; the meat was smoked with a tasty dry-rub, so no sauce was needed, but all three were quite good (especially the two red sauces combined).
    The food was absolutely incredible! The portions were very generous. They have a great drink selection. The service was great as well. Highly recommend this restaurant. Great job by all!!
    My friend and I took advantage of the happy hour and ordered multiple appetizers to try for dinner. We had the bacon bombs, sliders, nachos. The bacon bombs were just that, the bomb! Soooo good! I ordered an old fashioned, but it was WAY too strong for me. The server even watered it down a bit for me, but wasn't my taste. They did remove it from the bill which was nice of them.
    This basement restaurant in the heart of Larimer Street has a lot of tables in 3 separate sections. The bar and food menus are somewhat limited, but the choices are great. If you like barbecue this is an outstanding restaurant. They do all the smoking on site and the sauce should appeal to most.
    Nice upscale BBQ restaurant. Great atmosphere and attentive service. I had wild boar which was delicious, my husband had BBQ beef. The sides were good. Craft cocktails and local draft beer complement the food. Treat yourself to a drink or two at the Green Russell cocktail bar just inside the main entrance before dinner.
    Small place in a basement off of Larimer in downtown Denver. Fast friendly service. Very good BBQ. Had the rib special (beef, baby back, and spare). Fried pickles and jalapeño appetizers. Ribs were cut meaty, not close-cut like lots of other places do. Very juicy, tender. Price very reasonable. I'm putting Russell's on my list of places to recommend for friends visiting Denver.
    My husband and I dined during restaurant week, and therefore got the prix fixe meal and some excellent drinks. It was all delicious! The dining room was pretty crowded and loud with low ceilings, but a great experience overall. Will definitely return.
    Pretty poor in taste coleslaw salad, ribs where dry and seem like they where reheated, order the combo of ribs and one of them was almost impossible to eat as meat wouldn't come out of the bone. I will continue looking for some real barbecue in Denver would not repeat. Lager Tap beer was nice. Also a little hot the place.
    On a recent trip to Denver, my husband and I ate at Russell's Smokehouse. The ambiance of the place is warm and cozy upscale, and it's located in an old building in the downtown district. The servers are super friendly and accommodating. We even met the chef and bartender. All were welcoming and informative. But it's the food that will really impress you. I had the salmon. Oh. My. Goodness. I've never had better salmon in my life. Plus the combination of sauces and sides are unique and mouth-watering. And do not pass up the pie for dessert. We had the lemon. This place is really worth the trip. If you're in the Denver area, make your mouth happy and give it a try.

Similar places people viewed in Denver

Browse American Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods