Bistro Vendome

French Restaurant

Bistro Vendome24.5
brunch • mussels • steak • trout

Bistro Vendome has 22 Tips

The experience is wholly French and is certain to inspire a flurry of activity and excellent people watching.
    Located in the historic Sussex Building (built in 1880), the splendid atmosphere at Bistro Vendôme matches the delicious dishes, with a cozy interior and delightful patio.
    1 Like
    Real Talk-Finding authentic French food is tough. For those who have traveled abroad, I do not need to tell you the immense attention to detail required for true French food. This chef, didn't miss a beat. Simply walking into this establishment reminds you of beautiful Paris streets, with old-world charm. The wooden floors, tiled walls, and cafe-style chairs lands you square in the heart of France. Please your senses with perfectly baked french bread and fresh french butter. Brunch was greyeure cheese and ham toast with an argula salad. The portion sizes were perfect, and a welcome shift in Amerian's "pile it on" mentality. Per French tradition, we had to ask on the availability of foie gras, which was baked into a crème brûlée. The only dissapointment was the french macaroons, which were not baked in the "traditional" sense. Still, this entire meal was a warm welcome in a culinary enviroment that is not typically friendly to the true nature of french delicacies.
    We went for the preview of Ultreia, so I can't really nail the food to Bistro--although it was Devine! I can't wait for Ultreia to open! What I can say is that we had the greatest server, Robb! Such a professional--he suggested perfect pairings, never let a glass empty, and was the perfect level of helpful without being overbearing. Big Jenn Jasinski fan, but this is definitely a review of the operations side. Nice job to the management and of course, Robb.
    We celebrated a visit by my elderly aunt at Bistro Vendome. We started out by ordering Kir cocktails and an interesting antipasto plate. My wife and I ordered a lamb special which was very good. Unfortunately the service was slow and below par. The bottle of wine we ordered with dinner did not arrive until well after the main courses had been served. The excuse was they were running short of clean wine glasses.
    Went to another movie night dinner. Chef spend 4 days working on menu to match dishes in movie The Waitress. Very nicely done. We enjoyed all the special dishes, the ambiance and the movie. Will come back again.
    Everything was great. The friendly helpful service was perfect. The steak was excellent and it was very nice that you could choose what sauce was desired. Atmosphere was very French and blended well with the menu. This is a first rate place in a charming setting. By the way the salad was super.
    Wow, what an incredible restaurant! We didn't have a reservation on a very busy night and were able to get a perfect table for three on the terrace within about 45 minutes. Service was very prompt, though the kitchen was slightly behind in getting our meals out. Everything from our appetizers, wine pairings, and entreés were spot on. The chef even sent out a complimentary sample of that night's amuse bouche which was a mixture of carrot and ginger. Please note that entreé portions are small so be willing to spend a little more for a couple appetizers for the full experience. This was fine for us as we wanted to sample multiple items anyway. I would love to see what kind of brunch Bistro Vendome puts on. In the meantime, I'll just dream of returning! Items ordered: Crepes Escargot Cavatelli Boeuf Braise Steak Frites
    The restaurant tries to be a french bistro and food wise it manages quite well. The menu is classical, but the meats for example were well prepared. The service was very friendly and professional. Eating outside on the quiet terrace was a pleasure
    Typical French bistro food. Also has an amazing brunch. The patio is lovely in summer, and the main dining room is a romantic, cozy place to dine.
    We had an excellent brunch on the lovely, shaded patio. The staff was friendly and the service was good. We plan to return for a different meal during our stay in Denver.
    I'm a local and I've eaten at Vendome 6 or 7 times. The outdoor space is delightful on a summer night. Inside is pretty and snug in the winter. I have had great service. The wines are good and not expensive. The blurb says: "Traditional Left Bank-style cafe with a garden crafting slightly modern twists on French standards." I would say "French-inspired food that I like". There is better food in more than one place on the block (it's the primo downtown restaurant street), but I come back to Vendome because I like being there and the food, don't get me wrong, is really good.
    Went there for my birthday and had a lovely meal with complimentary dessert and card signed by all the servers- a very nice touch.
    Love, love this place. The food is eye-closing and consistently amazing. Everything we have tried is just to die for. The mussels are perfection, as are lamb dishes, the trout, the escargot, the cheese, and on and on. Plus, the staff are just wonderful. Warm, friendly, and accessible. While not inexpensive, definitely great value plus there is a happy hour with half priced wine. Can't beat that. Weather permitting, dining on the patio is divine. One of the best for sure!!!
    We did a date night at Bistro Vendome for the first time recently and we were very impressed. The wine selection was extensive, the cheese plate recommendations were great, the main courses were amazing, and the desserts were the perfect ending. The service was also outstanding. It's definitely not cheap (don't bother going unless you're willing to spend around $100 pp) but sometimes things are worth it and Bistro Vendome is definitely worth it.
    We ate outside during happy hour on a warm summer evening. The setting was beautiful; the menu was limited. I'm not terribly fond of steak tartare, but it was good. The drinks were great. The service was superb. I would return.
    Great food and great service. I highly recommend. Our waitress did an excellent job, very attentive but not bothersome. Wine was superb.
    If you are looking for a great ambiance, this is the place to go. Not for food however! I ordered salad with chicken. There were 2 pieces of butter lettuce with no other veggies and half cup of rotisserie chicken. I usually can't finish my meals in restaurants, not this time (due to the amount). It was way over priced! My daughter was happy with her egg and sausage meal, to be fair.
    We chose this for our "fancy meal out" mostly because of the quaint & romantic French cafe ambience. Started with complimentary vichyssoise -- by far the best I've ever had. I ordered the halibut; it was a nice cut, grilled well, on a small bed of well-seasoned vegetables. He ordered the steak frites which came with the amazing shoestring fries with a sweet glaze--honey? Delicious. The watercress salad and parfait dessert were less remarkable.The patio is charming but there must be a dumpster or something in the alley next door because in this heatwave (90 degrees) the warm breeze would waft over "that smell" from time to time. Also, there was, inexplicably, major construction/jack hammering which started at 7pm and detracted from the romantic & serene feel of the place... no fault of the restaurant, but still a factor in the overall dining experience.
    Both of my dishes had great flavor but the crab cakes had a bit of shell and the pasta was slightly too al dente. I certainly enjoyed the location, the ambiance, the staff, the wine - in short, just a little more attention to the food prep and it could be 5 stars.
    Pleasantly Surprised. I was in town on business and stumbled across this gem. Tucked away in a very pretty courtyard like area, I was invited in by the attractive patio setting at night. Something that you might find in well, France. Pulled up to the bar and ordered a wine and Crepes Vendome. Upon waiting, a small loaf of fresh bread with a delicious butter was served. It hit the spot! The Crepes Vendome was really good. A combination of roasted chicken, Roma tomato, olives, herbs. Topped with a fried egg, béarnaise, fried capers. Recommend this restaurant especially if you enjoy French cuisine.
    Excellent French cuisine in a nice tranquil setting (outdoor courtyard), adjacent to busy Larimer Square in downtown Denver. Friendly service.

Similar places people viewed in Denver

Browse French Restaurants in Nearby Neighborhoods