Photo of Mitchell's Ice Cream in San Francisco, CA, US

Restaurant

Mitchell's Ice Cream34.5
ice cream • mango • mexican chocolate • halo halo

688 San Jose Ave
San Francisco, CA 94110, US

Mitchell's Ice Cream has 23 Tips

No wait mid-day; in eve/night you might have 20+ people ahead of you. Parking can be challenging. There are about 10 spots in the back.
    Looking for a late-night snack to satisfy your sweet-tooth craving? Look no further than Mitchell's Ice Cream - open since the 1950s, this is a traditional ice cream parlor that's open until 11pm and serves up a perfect scoop. Try the Kahlua Mocha Cream!
    My fave old school ice cream
    If you want to taste the best ice cream then this is your place. It is always crowded with locals and tourists. We tasted few flavors all were great and yummy. I think this is the best ice cream I ever had in USA.It's not cheap but really worth for the price.
    If you want good old fashion ice cream, this is the place.... Dense and Creamy.. Great time and tested flavors...
    It's my first visit to San Francisco and it was recommended I try their ice cream. I had the peanut butter sundae and it was incredible. The customer service is bar none. They are friendly and patient when customers can't choose and want to try different flavours. I also recommend trying the Halo-halo flavour. I have a few more days in SF so I am hoping to try more!
    They are too good. The Mango one is also awesome. The wait can be long depending on what time you go, but it is worth it. The parking can be an issue also, but we found parking in the back, the two times we went. The staff is super friendly.
    A must try! Regular and unusual flavors, something for everyone. Take a number and enjoy looking at the flavors as you wait. Watch the workers create beautiful treats. My son got an Oreo milkshake, was a delight to behold, said it was in the top 5 of all milkshakes ever. We loved our visit. Wish we lived closer, would LOVE to try all the flavors!
    The ice cream here is DIVINE. I had a big, fat, juicy Sundae: one scoop of a praline ice cream and one of a butterscotch with whipped cream and salted caramel sauce drizzled all over it. It was sooooO good. The scoops are really nice and big. The guy who served us was super friendly and helpful and smiley. We will definitely come back next time we are around.
    We were brought here by a friend who's a local in San Fran. The ice cream is delicious and worth the waiting time in the queue.
    I always tell everyone, I'd fly to San Francisco in a heartbeat if only for Mitchell's Ice Cream! Simple flavors, both classic and tropical, you won't run out of options. I personally love the avocado, ube, macapuno, and cantaloupe (which is, sadly, a seasonal flavor). Can't get enough of their ice cream!
    Delicious and some unusual flavors at this landmark SF ice cream shop. Though the ice cream is very good and I encourage a visit, the hype is just a bit ahead of the product--very good but not the very best, and the portions are stingy.
    I live fairly close to Mitchell's and from my first trip there I was hooked. I LOVE Ice Cream, it is the one sweet or dessert I cannot resist so needless to say- I am very picky about my ice cream. This iconic establishment tends to have a line but it moves fairly quickly & if you can't wait they also sell their ice creams by the gallon. They have a wide variety of flavors, some that are impossible to find anywhere else. I am Chilean so my "go to" is their Lucuma Ice Cream but other rare flavors I tried & loved were "Pasas al Ron" or "Rum Raisin," "Dulce de Leche", etc..Great place to take the family or to stop to grab an ice cream while on your way to Dolores Park or for a nice walk.
    Yes, there will be a line, but it moves fast and the end result is dessert nirvana! Mitchell's has a vast array of unique flavors (chocolate cinnamon and fireball flavor were great), and the homemade ice cream is worth an Uber ride from downtown SanFran. The staff allow a few tastings (take advantage of that) and their shakes are great too. Perfect for anyone!
    This is long standing San Francisco institution that is a must visit for everyone. Be sure to get a number and get ready to wait for a bit but the line does go quickly.
    Never a disapointment! ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS the most decadent flavors. Hands down, some of the best ice cream made anywhere.
    We came to San Francisco for a food show to specifically find the best ice....we did! This ice cream was absolutely fantastic!! The staff was even nice enough to answer all of our crazy ice cream questions. They even gave us the name and number of the owners in case we had further questions. You could tell the staff loved their job and the product they served. Should be number 1 in the city!!!
    I love this ice cream. They have been in business since the 1950's. Open daily from 11:00am to 11:00pm I love the variety of flavors made and offered. I try something new everytime. They make mango, coconut, Ube sorbets. Mitchell's makes seasonal ice cream flavors like: Egg Nog, Ginger Spice, Pumpkin, Spumoni, Peppermint candy, and Irish Coffee. The classic flavors like : Vanilla, Chocolate are made also.
    This is the best ice cream I have ever had. It is creamy, but not too creamy. I felt like I had just eaten something good for me. SO worth it.
    My AirBnB during the first half of my stay in San Francisco was located in the buzzy and friendly, ethnically diverse community of Bernal Heights, high up above the city, with fabulous views from the local park. My hosts had rated this ice cream parlour highly, so going there, just a few streets away, was an absolute must - no surprise that I ended up going there several times for a takeaway dessert during my stay! Huge range of ice creams on offer and delightful, friendly serving staff who are only to happy to let you sample their wares before buying. In the daytime it was relatively quiet, but in the evening the place really came alive with queues stretching outside the door and a ticket machine like you see in shoe shops during the back-to-school rush! Well worth the wait, though. As ever in San Francisco, portions are generous, and a junior cone was probably enough for me for an after-dinner treat. I particularly liked the coconut (Macapuno, although they have four different varieties!), Mexican chocolate (with chilli!), avocado and banana. They also have a range of exotic fruits including HaloHalo from the Philippines and I couldn't resist sampling the Ube (purple yam), although it looked more interesting than it tasted! Interesting conversations abounded with fellow guests while we waited or consumed outside. Definitely an experience not to be missed!
    I love this place. yes you have to wait but it's so well worth it. If you don't like to wait just buy 1/2 gallon pre packs and make sundaes at home.
    Dont be alarmed by line. Go in grab a number it goes by quick. The pumpkin ice cream was really good, but the grasshopper my favorite. The cones are homemade and good.
    This place is popular even on a fall weekday! The ice cream is rich, and I especially like the Asian tropical flavors. They have traditional ones too if that floats your boat. They use a number system to keep track of who is served next, but it goes by quickly. Come here!

Similar places people viewed in San Francisco