Photo of Mitchell's Ice Cream in San Francisco, CA, US

Restaurant

Mitchell's Ice Cream34.5
ice cream • mango • mexican chocolate • halo halo

688 San Jose Ave
San Francisco, CA 94110, US

Mitchell's Ice Cream has 23 Tips

No wait mid-day; in eve/night you might have 20+ people ahead of you. Parking can be challenging. There are about 10 spots in the back.
    Looking for a late-night snack to satisfy your sweet-tooth craving? Look no further than Mitchell's Ice Cream - open since the 1950s, this is a traditional ice cream parlor that's open until 11pm and serves up a perfect scoop. Try the Kahlua Mocha Cream!
    My fave old school ice cream
    I live fairly close to Mitchell's and from my first trip there I was hooked. I LOVE Ice Cream, it is the one sweet or dessert I cannot resist so needless to say- I am very picky about my ice cream. This iconic establishment tends to have a line but it moves fairly quickly & if you can't wait they also sell their ice creams by the gallon. They have a wide variety of flavors, some that are impossible to find anywhere else. I am Chilean so my "go to" is their Lucuma Ice Cream but other rare flavors I tried & loved were "Pasas al Ron" or "Rum Raisin," "Dulce de Leche", etc..Great place to take the family or to stop to grab an ice cream while on your way to Dolores Park or for a nice walk.
    Yes, there will be a line, but it moves fast and the end result is dessert nirvana! Mitchell's has a vast array of unique flavors (chocolate cinnamon and fireball flavor were great), and the homemade ice cream is worth an Uber ride from downtown SanFran. The staff allow a few tastings (take advantage of that) and their shakes are great too. Perfect for anyone!
    This is long standing San Francisco institution that is a must visit for everyone. Be sure to get a number and get ready to wait for a bit but the line does go quickly.
    Never a disapointment! ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS the most decadent flavors. Hands down, some of the best ice cream made anywhere.
    We came to San Francisco for a food show to specifically find the best ice....we did! This ice cream was absolutely fantastic!! The staff was even nice enough to answer all of our crazy ice cream questions. They even gave us the name and number of the owners in case we had further questions. You could tell the staff loved their job and the product they served. Should be number 1 in the city!!!
    I love this ice cream. They have been in business since the 1950's. Open daily from 11:00am to 11:00pm I love the variety of flavors made and offered. I try something new everytime. They make mango, coconut, Ube sorbets. Mitchell's makes seasonal ice cream flavors like: Egg Nog, Ginger Spice, Pumpkin, Spumoni, Peppermint candy, and Irish Coffee. The classic flavors like : Vanilla, Chocolate are made also.
    This is the best ice cream I have ever had. It is creamy, but not too creamy. I felt like I had just eaten something good for me. SO worth it.
    My AirBnB during the first half of my stay in San Francisco was located in the buzzy and friendly, ethnically diverse community of Bernal Heights, high up above the city, with fabulous views from the local park. My hosts had rated this ice cream parlour highly, so going there, just a few streets away, was an absolute must - no surprise that I ended up going there several times for a takeaway dessert during my stay! Huge range of ice creams on offer and delightful, friendly serving staff who are only to happy to let you sample their wares before buying. In the daytime it was relatively quiet, but in the evening the place really came alive with queues stretching outside the door and a ticket machine like you see in shoe shops during the back-to-school rush! Well worth the wait, though. As ever in San Francisco, portions are generous, and a junior cone was probably enough for me for an after-dinner treat. I particularly liked the coconut (Macapuno, although they have four different varieties!), Mexican chocolate (with chilli!), avocado and banana. They also have a range of exotic fruits including HaloHalo from the Philippines and I couldn't resist sampling the Ube (purple yam), although it looked more interesting than it tasted! Interesting conversations abounded with fellow guests while we waited or consumed outside. Definitely an experience not to be missed!
    I love this place. yes you have to wait but it's so well worth it. If you don't like to wait just buy 1/2 gallon pre packs and make sundaes at home.
    Dont be alarmed by line. Go in grab a number it goes by quick. The pumpkin ice cream was really good, but the grasshopper my favorite. The cones are homemade and good.
    This place is popular even on a fall weekday! The ice cream is rich, and I especially like the Asian tropical flavors. They have traditional ones too if that floats your boat. They use a number system to keep track of who is served next, but it goes by quickly. Come here!
    Great place for ice cream.... interesting flavors. Try the avacodo, its is really good. Also has the usual flavors. But be aware.... almost always lines out the door.
    Mitchell's ice cream is so delicious and creamy and has great flavor choices including many tropical flavors. The staff is friendly and helpful even when busy, and I love the informal, old fashioned set-up, including some prized benches to sit on right outside the door. A great taste, in every way, of an older and simpler San Francisco.
    Simply the best peach ice cream ever. Reminds me of family churning homemade peach ice cream in Midwest summers. No doubt the other flavors are top notch such as pumpkin but my heart belies to each. A must visit !!
    When you step in to Mitchell's make sure you get a number as the line is long but it's well worth it and it gives you time to seriously look at the menu and finally decide on what you want (too many really to choose from).
    Fantastic ice cream with some unique flavors. Can be a wait without seating but worth it! Kids love it.
    I love Mitchell's ice cream shop-the ice cream is so creamy and rich and they have so many interesting flavors. I definitely get over there in November through December to stock up on their pumpkin and ginger ice creams. The ginger ice cream is the most gingery spicy I've ever found with bits of ginger in it. They only have these 2 flavors for the holidays, unfortunately. But their black walnut and Mexican chocolate is very good, too, and available year round. There are so many flavors-from Asian and Latin American fruit favorites to European and American favorites-something for everyone- but I always get stuck on my favorites. It is a small shop and almost always full of people but seems to go quickly. It is worth the wait.
    Mitchell's is a long-time family favorite that has stood the test of time. It ranks up there with the best so-called "artisanal" ice cream makers. Mitchell's ice cream is creamy and rich in butterfat. It's totally satisfying in ways the trendier places aren't. Mango is a classic, but I urge you to try the Mexican Chocolate, which puts that hot drink into cold ice cream goodness. My only knock against it is that it's crowded with little parking, and nowhere to sit to enjoy the ice cream.
    Mitchell's is a long-time family favorite and still makes ice cream that ranks with the new "artisanal" places. Be ready for rich, creamy, full-flavored ice creams here. I particularly like Mango, a classic, and the Mexican Chocolate, which tastes just as sharp and delicious as the hot liquid version. The only reason a fifth star is missing is that the shop has no seating and not much parking, so is not a comfortable place to enjoy ice cream.
    I have a photograph of my husband and I outside on the bench eating ice cream one sunny afternoon. I no longer eat sugar but Mitchell's Ice Cream was one of the places that has stood the test of time. It was there when I was in High School and I remember driving by it when my mother and father were alive in the old station wagon. iIt is a staple of San Francisco and many little kids have had their first ice cream cone there including my grandson.

Similar places people viewed in San Francisco