Photo of Bi-Rite Creamery in San Francisco, CA, US

Bi-Rite Creamery

American Restaurant

Bi-Rite Creamery124.5
ice cream • honey lavender • sundae • roasted banana

Bi-Rite Creamery has 32 Tips

ice cream
    In a town of long lines, Bi-Rite’s may very well be the most dependable — come rain or come shine, we will wind around the block for the pleasure of a scoop or three. Get your money’s worth with one of its killer sundaes — our top pick is the Afternoon Snack, featuring roasted banana ice cream, caramel sauce, and the absolutely perfect house-made graham crackers. Don’t forget to take full advantage of their free-sample policy, too
    So good, try the jimmies on anything
    Also long line so try to go on a week day or just get a sundae at the express line
    BEST ICE CREAM!
    If Bi-rite could come in the form of fabric, it'd be silk. The creamiest, meltiest, most flavorful icecream you'll taste. Expect a line and don't expect to find seating. So being gloves on those cold days so you can stroll comfortably while eating :)
    BEST ICE CREAM IVE EVER TASTED. This is a cant miss!
    1 Like
    If you like ice cream, this is the only place you need to know. Familiarize yourself with the Bi-Rite Creamery, as it is an oasis for ice cream lovers across town. Whatever you do, get a scoop of the Salted Caramel before you leave! It's divine.
    Heavenly desserts. Try the Chocolate-Coconut Ice Cream.
    Adjacent to the perpetually long lines of Bi-Rite Creamery is their much calmer soft serve window, which offers two flavors of soft serve every day AND (previously unknown to me) cookie ice cream sandwiches!
    Fun ice cream - try ricanelas and roasted banana and salted caramel
    Great flavors!
    We visit The Mission location every time we are in San Francisco. Last week, we were staying closer to the Divisadero location. We did not like it. It is a tiny corner in the Bi-Rite Market (which is separate in The Mission). There is no seating. Seemed like fewer flavors. We still think it is great ice cream, but will only go to the 18th St location in the future.
    There was a line waiting to get in to order an ice cream treat, which is a good sign. Lots of selections and the prices are reasonable for San Francisco.
    Definitely a quality, local ice cream spot. You can tell that it's not mass produced and the ingredients are high end. Worth the wait, even (especially) during a heat wave.
    Came here before it opened and there was a line. Of course there was, but cool your jets and think rich & fatty. Chill staff, hard to decide and choose. Enjoy!
    Tucked away in the mission district, a must to go if you dont mind the travel. No regrets traveling out to look for ice cream.
    My wife and me went for vacations to San Francisco, and I read some good reviews about Bi-Rite Creamery, so I suggested to my wife to go there. Bi-Rite is located far from the tourist zone in the beautiful Mission-Dolores neighborhood. I am not a sweets lover, in fact I usually try just little bit of my wife desserts. But let me tell you that I asked my wife to go back for more the next day we went there. We tried salted caramel which is the number one flavor, roasted banana, balsamic strawberry and tcho chocolate. I can't say which one is the best, I liked all of them.
    I cannot stress enough how good this place is! Please do visit this creamery and give it a try. My partner and I visited the creamery after lunch and surprinsingly avoided queueing! The staff there was really friendly and cool and they let you try different flavours before picking. I have never tasted anything like their ice-creams, not even in Italy! They have lots of different and quirky flavours like honey lavender!! We ended up getting two scoops (very generous scoops) each of a different flavour and it didn´t cost us more than $10, I would of paid 20 if I'm honest. Cheap, tasty and great service! BRILLIANT! I absolutely loved this place. I´ll come back!
    The salted Carmel ice cream was absolutely one of the best things I have ever eaten. The SF Secret Food Tour took us here. Amazing & delicious!
    Delicious ice cream and really great dairy free options! The salted caramel is sensational and the vegan strawberry coconut ice-cream was really creamy and very tasty. The queue moved pretty quickly and it was definitely worth the wait.
    Excellent ice-cream! Avoid the queues in the middle of the day - or opt for soft serve counter to the right with no queue and delicious options.
    My family and I visited BiRite after our Cruisin the Castro walking tour based on Tripadvisor reviews and are very glad we did. All enjoyed their ice cream. I sanpled most of the exotic flavors including basil, sesame, lavender etc all were tasty. My son and I split our sundaes between the salted caramel and cinnamon snickerdoodle. The salted caramel is like eating Garrets caramel corn (a Chicago institutions) in ice cream form. Just outstanding and my son's favorite My fav was the cinnamon. It was delightful. The service also was excellent. Thanks guys!
    We had heard a lot about Bi-Rite before our trip to San Francisco so we headed there on our first day in the city. We actually went to the market location which was a good decision - there was no line and we got our ice cream super quick! They had a lot of unique flavors and the workers were all really friendly. I got blueberry buttermilk and peanut butter chocolate - both were good! I got the "single" which meant I could do one bigger scoop of one flavor or 2 smaller scoops of 1-2 flavors. It only cost around $4.50 which is comparable to ice cream from our home city. Good value for what you get!
    We tried to have ice cream here in the past but we were discouraged by the long evening line ups. During lunch hours the place was much more accessible. A good selection of flavours but we only had a Mango lime sorbet cone, a bit watery and not too flavourful, the cone also being of low quality. Very friendly and helpful staff, encouraging you to taste
    Made a quick stop here on a warm day while touring the Mission, and I really enjoyed my ice cream! Bi-Rite has a multitude of unique flavors – you can really try a flavor combination that you probably have never had before. I tried the famed Salted Caramel flavor and wasn't a huge fan, surprisingly, simply because the flavor was a bit too strong. However, I really loved the blueberry buttermilk flavor since it was super fruity and summery.
    During a hot day, this really make my day. I recommend the mint and chip and the lavander with honey.
    Awesome ice cream, honey and lavender flavour to die for! Staff friendly and helpful, let us try all the flavours we wanted! Great service.
    We decided to grab some ice cream before dinner since the weather got warmer in the afternoon after the pride parade. There are unique flavours like balsamic strawberry and creme brûlée and black sesame. Tasty!
    My daughter and I have a tradition of going to San Francisco on Mommy-Daughter dates and always stopping at Bi-Rite Creamery. The Honey Lavender ice cream is my favorite; the flavor is light and sweet and like nothing I've ever had before. Bi-Rite usually has a decent-sized line, although on some nights the line isn't too bad, but I would expect waiting at least 10 minutes to get your ice cream. The ice cream is well worth the wait, and the staff is very friendly and efficient. The Creamery also sells pints and quarts of the ice cream that you can take home! Enjoy!
    We did a prearranged food tour and this was one of the stops. The ice cream was pretty good and really really creamy. We tried the caramel. Glad we got to try it and we didn't have to queue!
    Did not find the ice cream creative or creamy. Sometimes people just flock to places because of prior reputation before there are better choices.

Similar places people viewed in San Francisco