Bar Crudo

Soup Place

Bar Crudo14.5
seafood chowder • butterfish • tuna • burrata

Bar Crudo has 21 Tips

Probably my favorite seafood restaurant in the city. The crudo plates are fabulous, as is the seafood chowder. Come to think of it, it's hard to go wrong.
    If you like raw fish, you will not be disappointed. The food is delicious and creative. The portions are quite small but so yummy. Great wine as well. Lovely staff and nice decor.
    So I brought my son here because he loves their Happy Hour. They open at 5:00 and we arrived at 4:45 - already a line waiting to get in. The place is small. We were able to get a table for two right away - the tables are pretty close together. The room filled up quickly and (alas) noise. It was difficult to carry on a conversation across the table...but then, I am old. Lots of young people, so I'm sure it was not an issue for them. If you would like water and/or bread, you must ask for it. Happy Hour Menu was great (according to my son) - $1 oysters and mussels (he had 12). Beers were $4.00. We ended up ordering dinner - I had lobster salad and my son had the Whole Branzino! Our very charming waitress deboned the fish perfectly for him. Bill was around $100 including tip for the two of us. Sadly, I won't be returning. My son, on the other hand, LOVES this place and will be back again for Happy Hour I'm sure. If you are a Raw-Bar menu kind of person - this is your spot!
    This is one of my husband and my favorite places in San Francisco. We have been here at least 4 times in the past year (which is a lot, considering how many restaurants SF has). We always get the crudo sampler, which is delicious! The seafood chowder is amazing too. Only caveat is that they don't have dessert (sometimes, they give you complimentary truffles, but it seems to just depend on the mood of the waiter and whether or not they feel like giving you some that night), and the menu is pretty limited, which isn't an issue unless you keep returning and the menu doesn't seem to change...
    We made reservations for a group of 7 for dinner but ended up waiting for a little bit till the previous group cleared the table. The wait wasn't big of a deal though as we were hanging out with a bottle of wine by the bar. All the dishes we had were really good. We shared a sampler plate, salad and clam chowder. For main course we had branzino and cod. The atmosphere has a good vibe to it. Enjoyable experience overall.
    Great happy hour. Get there early as it fills up very fast. We had oysters and mussels along with their house wine served during happy hour. All were excellent! This is a great value during this time. It is a lively place and not in the quiet side. This is a true neighborhood gem.
    Great see food and wine selection. Nice atmosphere, but need to go early to get a table as it gets busy as soon as it opens.
    The restaurant is not well designed as the sound level is huge which makes it very difficult to have a conversation. The dishes are good BUT very pricey. After spending 200 dollars for 2 we went to have buy some more food elsewhere as the portions are not big. I will probably not return
    I followed a recommendation from a bartender and I wasn't disappointed at all. I had so far the best chowder in San Francisco at bar crudo. Before we had excellent oysters and a very fresh fish prepared to almost perfection. We sat at the bar, we liked the atmosphere. It is a place I definitely come back next time visiting San Francisco. I really liked that place.
    It has become a tradition for me to go to Bar Crudo for happy hour when I'm in San Francisco. If you've never been, be sure to get there early as a line begins to form well before the 5PM opening for precious seats at the bar. Once seated, enjoy amazing oysters and fish dishes along with spot on wines. As others have mentioned, you can not come here and not have the chowder - smoky, rich, and redolent of flavors of the sea; just thinking about it has me swooning.
    Arrived at 5 minutes past 5 to a nearly packed venue. Sat at the bar and had mind blowing seafood chowder and the best fish tacos I've ever had- and I've eaten several awesome ones. Fantastic service too. My only issue is I'm not a local and won't be back to San Fran for years but when I am, this will be the 1st place I eat at.
    Two of us went on Friday night and went fur a dinner. We simply ordered 1/2 dozen of oysters, 1 lobster salad,2 small chowders, 1 branzino absolutelly we bright our own bottle of wine. Guess how much we paid inc. tax and tip ? - quite a lot- $145 . Extremely overpriced food and small portions. Very noisy and way too expansive . Wow ...
    We lined up 30 minutes before the 5pm opening to make sure to snag a spot at the bar on the friday of the Sept long weekend. The sashimi plates were amazing. The oysters are a deal but you can only eat so many of the chefs special... Can't remember the variety but a more bitter finish than the small sweet kinds. They ran out of the beer on special so I was not interested in the Amber/dark variety they offered to substitute. I would go back if I visited SF again!
    We enjoyed a really amazing dinner here. The raw seafood starter to share was amazing and out mains as well! Nothing at all to complain about! Only a shame that they didn't really have a desert menu, because I'm sure that would have been great too! The wine suggestions was good and I got some small stains on my suite shirts and they immediately had a stain remover for me to try! Service and food great! Definitely worth a visit!
    Happy hour is definitely a must! Outstanding oysters that are so fresh and so delicious! The service is great and the servers are so friendly! We enjoyed the Baja oysters and the fish tacos. And of course the white Vinho Verde. This restaurant is trendy with a great vibe.
    this place is BUSY so get here early! The oysters they served were melt in your mouth delicious and the peppers and anchovy dish was also very tasty. I can not belive how busy this place was! The crudo variety plate for 2 looked absolutely delicious but at $28 it was too expensive to try for us as tht is almost $40 Canadian ($5 per bite)
    We have reserved a table and were promptly seated . It's not a huge place , so the tables are really small. The menu is consist of seafood offerings only . Wine list is extensive but limited since price range from $38-$120 not really budget friendly . We Love the lobster salad, branzino- whole grilled fish with greens and spices , super delicious sea food chowder, very fresh but kind of small crudo appetizers. If you want to have dessert it's too bad - they don't have a dessert menu at all.
    We stopped in San Francisco for a couple days while on a road trip. After looking at many reviews we decided to try Bar Crudo for dinner. So happy we did as it was one of our favourite meals on our trip. We started with some shellfish, a selection of oysters and the herb and jalepeno marinated mussels which were SO GOOD! My friends both had the seafood chowder, and I had the grilled octopus....very very good! Would definitely come back here when returning to San Francisco.
    From the minute you walk in everything is great. Service, atmosphere, food, and drinks. I always over eat and enjoy every minute of my time there. You cannot go wrong with anything on the menu. Beer selection is good, although I don't drink. My date did.
    A local friend recommended us to visit this place for fresh seafood, their seafood chowder was nice. Quite busy, especially for happy hours (5-6.30 pm)
    We were recommended this place by a local in the Haight Ashbury area. They do Happy hour too- though we missed the time, the seafood was still really tasty. Not very cheap but good for a mid-high range budget.

Similar places people viewed in San Francisco