Photo of SUGARFISH by sushi nozawa in Los Angeles, CA, US

Japanese Restaurant

SUGARFISH by sushi nozawa44.5
sushi • rice • hand rolls • albacore

600 W 7th St Ste 150
Los Angeles, CA 90017, US

SUGARFISH by sushi nozawa has 24 Tips

"Small chain is known for impeccable fish and super-affordable (we're talking $32) omakase, or as the restaurant's menu calls it the "Trust Me" option."
    1 Like
    The original Sushi Nazi, Nozawa, has created a mini-empire of top-notch sushi restaurants that strip away some of the common elements of a sushi experience and encapsulate them in a simple multi-course meal, depending on how much you "trust" Nozawa. The rice is seasoned perfectly and the fish, hand-selected by Nozawa, might be as good could be at this price point. [Photo: Yelp]
    The rice is seasoned perfectly and the fish, hand-selected by Nozawa, might be as good could be at this price point. With locations in Brentwood, Studio City, Downtown, and Marina Del Rey.
    Kazunori Nozawa's more casual, wallet-friendly sushi haunt serving top quality fish a la carte and omakase-style. goo.gl/prwxj3
    Went here with my husband while we were on vacation in LA. This place was awesome! We arrived around 6pm on a Saturday night and were immediately seated at the bar. The place has a very casual vibe. The waitstaff were very friendly. The bartender gave us some helpful tidbits about how to best enjoy each dish (such as to eat the hand rolls right away while the seaweed is still crispy). We each ordered the Trust Me entree. Each item was delicious! The yellowtail nigiri was awesome. There was a hint of lemon on it that made it special. Also enjoyed how dishes kept coming out as soon as they were ready. Highly recommend.
    best sushi ever! went here with a party of 6 and we were not allowed to he seated until partybhad arrived. we decided to get 3 of the large set combos (the one that's for 2 people & forgot what it's called now). the quantity was small but the quality was out of this world. the presentation was pleasing and the taste was phenomenal! if you're a sushi lover, this is for you
    Warm rice that was perfectly prepared, topped with fresh, very tender fish. Great stuff, good value for money...
    So by the time the restaurant opened at 11:30am, there were at least 20 people waiting to get in. I was very excited to eat here as I love sushi and have heard great things about this place. We got the chef's choice for $27 to share for a start. I have to say that the sushi was good but no better and quite frankly not as good as some places. I don't get what all of the hubbub is about. Great service.
    My husband is somewhat new to sushi but I have been eating it forever! He was nervous because the menu is very limited and he didn't see anything he could order (think rice bowls, tempura, etc.). We order the Trust Me menu and shared it and he was completely amazed at the flavor of each dish. We loved the Tuna Sashimi so much that we immediately ordered another one for dessert! What a great find, very simple setting with amazingly fresh and delicious fish. Will be back for sure!
    Seriously. I would. This is hands down the best sushi I've ever had. I ordered the "trust me" which was a great sampling of different menu items. Then I went back and ordered more of the tuna sashimi because it was that good. The sauce on it was delicious. The fish was fresh and perfectly cool. All the rice was warm and fresh. My waiter (I sat at the bar) was very attentive and offered suggestions. He also sent me with a to go cup of the iced green tea because it's fantastic too. My only complaint is that I was too full to try some of everything on the menu.
    We liked this place so much, we visited twice! My friend and I shared the large sampler and were relatively full. Traditional sushi style with the unique warm rice. The warm rice was just ok - but the fish was great. The restaurant is low key and great for socializing.
    Best sushi ever, the nori(algae) was super crispy and the flavors all collided deliciously and the restaurant itself was quite nice itself 11 out of 10 delicious.
    Sugarfish is simple, carefully seasoned and delicious sushi, where the extremely fresh fish itself is at the forefront of every dish. This is the kind of Sushi where every bite is savoured and enjoyed, giving the diner a chance to enjoy the minimal (but intense) flavours and textures of the fish.
    The warm rice with the cold fish is the perfect combination. None of their sushies needed soy sauce or anything else..it was perfect as I got it
    Excellent sushi. The combo platters were excellent Only thing I didn't like was I overheard another group walk in and they didn't have their entire pert and the restaurant wouldn't let the sit at a table! It was nearly empty. That was a disappointment but otherwise good sushi.
    I had gone there for lunch with my boss. We waited for about 20 minutes for a table but it was so worth it! The servers are very helpful and knowledgeable. I have never had sushi that truly melts in your mouth until going to Sugarfish! We had ordered a few things to share. We ordered too much and still couldn't leave without finishing everything despite being full. It was THAT good!!! It's expensive but well worth it.
    I have been going to any of their sites for 5 years. And must say never disapointed. I always have the trust me special. It end with the crab roll.. OMG... what a way to finish.. This place is a go to for my daughter and me. Its our place... so I am a little bias.. But But its fantastic....lol
    I stayed in LA for a night with my husband and I was so excited to be able to have such a large array of restaurants to choose from, but my taste palette was screaming for sushi. I quickly did some research and found Sugarfish, which was fairly close, walking distance in a hotel my husband and I was staying at and decided to take the dive. The "Trust Me," food option on the menu was seriously unforgettable. It was dynamite. I would recommend this restaurant to all sushi lovers in the area!
    Sugarfish has a well deserved reputation and much hype surrounding the now chain of locations across the city. The sushi's freshness is second to none. My only complaint would be that too many people know about them! However, they have several locations nowadays, and it's only a matter of finding the one that is best for you on that particular night. I live in Los Angeles and Sugarfish continues to be the go to sushi restaurant for my wife and I on date nights.
    Simple entrance - warm welcome asked to place a seat at the bar while ordering some small dishes. Attentive service and bar staff of whom mostly are students. Keeping an eye on me while the place got really crowded and served me the finest Japanese dishes and wine. I just enjoyed the entire service sequence and performance of the staff while sipping on my wine and enjoyed the food. Almost made me missed my long haul international flight to Asia. Really a suburb experience - kudos!
    Short wait, so we grabbed a drink nearby and they texted us when ready. Even a "hey, almost time" text. Not a bad bite in the place. Terrific handrolls. These sushi snobs loved everything. Stick with the junmai daigonjo sake :)
    Real talk: I know nothing about sushi. I come from upstate New York where much of the sushi includes bacon and buff chick sauce. Until today, I really didn't think I liked sushi very much. Sugarfish is my kind of sushi. Just incredibly fresh, clean, lightly sauced, fish. I was also seated quickly and had super friendly service. Loved it!
    This restaurant was highly recommended to me by a lot of my friends. I had such an incredible experience and will definitely return whenever I am back in LA. We went a little late than normal for lunch so the wait was only 15 mins. The restaurant is really small so I would recommend going early as I am sure the space fills up at lunch. The menu is very small but everything is amazing. We had the "Trust me" meal and do not regret it. The fish was so fresh and it melted in your mouth. My favorite were the hand rolls the seaweed was so crispy!
    Did a Google search for best sushi in LA and this was one of the ones that popped up, tried calling for reso but they didn't take any so we figured this would be a good spot to go to. The first night we went it was an hour and a half wait so we went across the street to Bottega Louie which was amazing. Came here the next evening a bit earlier and only waited a few minutes. The trust me menu was great, fish was very fresh. The only thing disappointing was that they didn't have hot sake and no cocktails either - just beer and cold sake. Their drink menus definitely need work. But if you are just going for sushi this is pretty good.

Similar places people viewed in Los Angeles