Phoenix Art Museum

Museum

Phoenix Art Museum14.5
permanent collection • andy warhol • miniature rooms • hollywood costumes

Phoenix Art Museum has 21 Tips

Love this museum and wish I had more chances to come back here.
    The museum is easy to get to by the Phoenix light rail. I went on a Wednesday afternoon and admission was free, so that was a bonus. There are lots of interesting exhibits, some of them 'one only' like the small but lovely Turner, and it was an enjoyable afternoon.
    I like this place so much I have a membership. The museum holds various loaned exhibits a year that are amazing. Most recently, I took my nephew and his wife to the Samauri exhibit. They also offer art classes (free and paid), art movies, lectures, galas. The museum's own collection is quite extensive.
    The Art Museum plays a vital role in the Valley's culture. In addition to its solid permanent exhibits, the museum constantly brings in exceptional special exhibits, such as its recent Warhol show.
    See ancient Asian art, modern art, statues, mixed media, paintings, videos, and more in this nice complex. Many galleries to explore. Cafe on premises and nice gift shop.
    Lot's of different types of art from different parts of the world. Tons to see. Plus, I got in free with my Bank of America card!
    The Museum has a great variety of different art. I really enjoyed the Photographs of the American Road. A lot of route 66 pictures, a road that I have traveled since 1959. Then the light show that was the special display was outstanding.The lights hung from the ceiling and was fun to walk through.
    This is a great place to just take a slow stroll. I recommend a membership so the you can see special exhibits and docent tours. The gift shop has great ideas.
    So much to see. Took my 11 year old who I didn't think would appreciate an art museum, she loved it! The fire flies room was cool, I loved the bluebird tree and the miniatures were superb. There wasn't anything not to like and to top it all the deal on the annual membership meant that we will definitely be returning visitors.
    I love the art, and this museum is a great place, where I found and learn about history, religions, Chinese and Japanese culture. I Enjoyed the section of the environment protection. The restaurant is great, has good food and professional services, also the price is good.
    Phoenix has lots of great museums in the downtown area...and this Art museum is one of them. Easy parking near by and makes an enjoyable day out of the Arizona heat...there are lots of nice places to eat down town to you can make a date out of it!! enjoy
    The Phoenix Art Museum has wonderful, thought provoking exhibits and can be always counted on to stimulate your mind. Another plus is free admissions on Wednesday afternoons and on First Friday'! Take a few hours out of the heat and get in touch with your creative side!!
    Visited in 2015, revisited it again in 2016 and although some of the items have been switched out like you'd expect the overall feel, experience etc is still quite good. Still a place I'd visit again.
    Chances are you would be disappointed visiting this museum. Variety is lacking. Valuable art work is missing.
    This was Family Weekend at the Museum so admission was free and they had a lot of creative activities for children including dancing, making collages, or painting. We went with our daughter, son-in-law and their 2 children ages 3 years and 18 months. Everyone had a great time! A couple of stand-out pieces for me was the black velvet tree with blue birds on it and the pitch black room filled with hundreds of dangling colored lights.
    Overall, the collections that I did see were mostly interesting. Of particular interest is the Schorr collection, which is spread throughout the building in different areas. I especially enjoyed Goya's Caprices. The contemporary art section has a lot of thought-provoking pieces, especially the avocado tree in velvet. There are a few additional collections that I didn't get to see, including one part of the Schorr collection and the photography exhibit. There's a lot to see in the Phoenix Art Museum, so you're going to want to allot sufficient time for seeing all the exhibits and taking them in. (I spent almost two hours in there and STILL didn't see everything.) Some of the pieces are definitely worth a good shot with your camera, so bring that! The building of the Phoenix Art Museum was designed by a student of Frank Lloyd Wright's, which explains so much about the layout here (for better and for worse). Some of the sections were closed off because they're setting up new exhibits for later dates, but that's to be expected. Navigating the museum is kind of a pain, though, because the portions of the museum that are being used are not all directly connected to one central part. My travel companion also didn't feel like there were sufficient elevators for people who can't use stairs to get to different exhibits. For this reason, be sure to wear comfortable shoes. I'd also be sure to have water, depending on where you park. The museum's website tells you that parking is one block north and to the left, which put me in the BMO building's lot. This lot appeared to charge a fee during the weekdays only. Since I went on a weekend, I avoided the toll but still walked across the street in the heat.
    This museum offers you a little bit of everything. Even fashion. There's a mix of small and large spaces. Asian and european art. Sculpture, film, modern art and special exhibits. It's easy to spend an afternoon or a quick trip for a culture fix. It's nice to see this museum drawing people of all ages and backgrounds.
    I brought an overseas guest to experience some of our local culture. We enjoyed the displays and indigenous artwork. Thank you for a clean well kept museum.
    Seemed to have started collecting late in the game so major 20th century painting and sculptures are rare. But they have a good changing contemporary collection. Nice small Asian one. And some good western paintings
    I'm still giving this 4 stars because of the restaurant on site! Staring out when we entered I was so excited because ive never been here before and I love looking at art and sculptures. To be honest I was a little let down with the exhibits because there wasnt alot. there was a TON of empty space. Now some people may argue and say "well thats how art exhibits are supposed to be" I get that but this was excessively empty. there wasnt much art I liked in here either to be frank, there was a few old "renaissance" paintings that i quite liked, but overall this place needs more. I went on the weekend of the Samurai exhibit and that was pretty cool, They had full samurai attire and horse armor and all sorts of neat stuff. So that was good. Moving on, we had brunch at the restaurant there and that was great. SUPER nice dude named Callum, I believe was his name, he recommended the pulled pork breakfast burrito and I tried that and it was so good. Cute little cafe/restaurant type of place, Would def return just for that. Overall good day, nothing really "bad" to say about the place, just was expecting more is all.
    We tried to go there twice but found that they were not open. Plan your day / time carefully and maybe phone them because on the second occasion it was a closure that we could not have known about. Not impressed with this lot!!

Similar places people viewed in Phoenix

Browse Museums in Nearby Neighborhoods